Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What about .dbo files?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 18:18
I have read several posts on this forum and the Newcomers forum asking about what 3d model file format is the best to use, to which most people have been suggesting .3DS or .X, with occasional mention of .md2

Whatever became of Darkbasics "Native" .dbo format? Is it no longer being supported? I was under the impression it was better than both .3DS or .X, supporting multiple texture layers etc.

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 18:21 Edited at: 25th Jan 2008 18:24
Sure, still being supported One of the other reasons why it's good to use it's because it should have a bit of faster loading time. I've had good results using them in past projects. You would also use it if you have 3D world studio, for terrains etc, because of the multilayered textures and so forth.

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 20:02
Thank you Nerd, Thats good to know at least

I have used .dbo files before to great effect, using the multilayered textures for light mapping objects and game levels.

I didn't realise about the quicker loading time, thats an added bonus

And oops, I meant to post this in the DarkBASIC Pro forum, but ah well.

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 00:46
DBO is definitely faster, but .x is the smart choice for exporting from a modeler. Then you can convert it to dbo to speed up the loading even more.

Come see the WIP!
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 09:14
with a .x it took me sometimes up to 5 seconds to load an object. After i converted to a .dbo, the loading times disappeared, Where i needed a new part of a level loaded, Originally i expected for it to take a few seconds to load, after i converted to a dbo file, that part of the level just appeared without any loading time

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 12:21:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 12:21:45