Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Are you doing something good with DarkGDK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 16:59
If you are, then let me know. DarkGDK has been free for a couple of months now, and it would be good to showcase anything newsworthy in a future newsletter.

So if you have something nice, whether it's a full game or tech demo, email me. Or if you have some useful advice, small tutorial or anything that will benefit the community, I'd like to know about that too.
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 02:51 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2008 02:53
I have LightEngine, but DGDK.NET is not out there yet, soooo... I think this will have to wait.

Best regards,

Thiago

[Edit] Actually, I had a second tutorial for DGDK.NET, Paul was to proof read it, but it never saw the light, poor guy. Again, DGDK.NET. I think it would only be important when it is released, right?
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
My Star Wars Game is programmed with the DGDK. There is a demo with 3 missions and I've nearly completed a fourth mission. I hope to complete the final fifth mission by the end of this month.

Here's the thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=8&t=107303&p=0

Lion Jin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2008 03:11 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2008 03:25
I have used GDK and RakNet to develop a MMO game for one year, for now, a basic client to server structure is completed, but I need to add more feature in future ,I attached a screen-shot of my game ,there is no much feature for now.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2008 10:46
kBessa: Keep in touch, LightEngine will be good to feature when .net is released under the same agreement as DGDK.

tobi453: The screenshots look excellent, I'll take a look later.

Lion Jin: When you have something to demo, it could be worth featuring.

Don't forget, you 3 all have a huge head start on the people downloading the free version. So even if your projects are not complete, they are still inspiring for other developers.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2008 17:55
@BatVink
I don't know if this really counts, but I've been making an OOP wrapper for the GDK which basically means you can do this kind of thing (actual code):

I've done all of Basic3D, Camera, Basic2D, Image, Sparky's dll, part of Core, and I'm just adding Cloggy's D3D dll.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2008 18:05
@BatVink: Don't worry, I'm always around so I will keep in touch. I'm also in the process of planning new plugins.

@Diggsey: That's more than welcome, just like LightEngine. I know many people would enjoy it. Are you planning to release it? Free or paid?
Actually I thought about converting LightEngine to C++, but I lack the time. And if someone do it just right, I'm pretty sure I won't need to do it. Yours looks like is doing it nicely.

Thiago
adastras
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is my new game Worm
[href=http://rvgame.plane.hl-users.com/files/_rvWorm1.rar[/href]
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2008 18:47
@kBessa
I will release, but it may have a (small) price It's kindof messy at the moment, so I'll probably ask someone to help clean it up first. I've managed to port Cloggy's dll to the GDK now (all of it) although it's a bit of a hack at the moment. (I just set it to compile as a .lib instead of a .dll) Also, I fixed the bug in it where filled polygons or circles are not drawn if any 3D commands were used, so the GDK version is actually more functional

jpezaris
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm using Dark GDK to simulate artificial vision in a scientific experiment. I'm a researcher working at Harvard Medical School on restoring sight to the blind. http://sight2blind.org is the project's web page. The demo requires a $5-10k eye tracker so most people probably wouldn't be able to use it, but I can send some screen grabs once it's done.
Lion Jin
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi BatVink!

I will try to have a beta version with some basic features by next month ,for the game is a client to server game ,the player need to run client and connect to the server ( another machine ) to run the game ,Maybe I can release both client and server demo,the player can run them on the same machine to see the game features easily.
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2008 09:32
Hi BatVink

I'm close to completing a native 3D World Studio .3DW file loader for DarkGDK, should hopefully be ready in about two weeks. I'm in the final stages of testing and tweaking the code.

I will be making the code freely available upon completion.

For more info and screen shots:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=100900&b=13

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2008 11:06
Thanks everyone, I may not be responding often but I'm keeping an eye on this thread for future newsletters.
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm close to completing a native 3D World Studio .3DW file loader for DarkGDK, should hopefully be ready in about two weeks. I'm in the final stages of testing and tweaking the code.

I will be making the code freely available upon completion."

This is really great stuff PP. Many thanks!

I have vague plans for World Domination
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 01:17
I've started work on an FPS....

It's silly really, nowhere near Newsletter material....

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 20:06
JemScript uses DarkGDK now!

Don't you just hate that Zotoaster guy?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 17:45
Please Don't get mad at ME or this post - but I THINK BatVink just wants to know about stuff that can really Show what DarkGDK is capable of - concerning finished or Show Worthy at least projects.

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
My starwars game is now completed:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=107303&b=8

FINAL VERSION RELEASED!!!!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 04:12
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 11:41
woooooooohuoooo.... very nice Looks very good.

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa)
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 11:53
Very well done indeed, great game.

Projects Started: 20
Projects Completed: 0
m0ng00se
Years of Service
User Offline
tobi453

looked great, ran great for seven seconds, then froze and hung my machine so bad even CTRL, ALT, DEL wouldn't work. Sound turned into a high pitched buzz... pulled the plug on my PC as it turned to toast. Worst freeze I've ever had on Vista in terms of speed it happened. Too scared to ever try that game again.

Sorry.

m0ng00se
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 05:27
If you were BRAVE enough to run Vista... Nuff Said, LOL

(Check for some compatibility settings - perhaps he developed it in XP or something he uses and your video hardware just don't jive. That actually is more probable because Vista does from what I hear usually catch program exceptions errors etc... but if the hardware went flaky because of a bad Vista video driver (VERY COMMON) and/or the hardware had a hicup and some bits got or'd when they should got anded... well... I'm not surprised really about your experience.

Its not his game though - and its unlikely his game will ruin your pc...

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
@m0ng00se :
I can completely understand you. If it was my pc, I probably wouldn't start the game again, too. Have you installed the latest directx? The game crashed on my vista notebook, when I used the bloom shader. Therefore I removed the bloom shader from the game.

@jason p sage:
I started the development of the game on xp and then switched to my vista notebook, which has more performance. I tested the game on a low end pc (xp) with 1.8 ghz, 256 mb ram, fx 5200 and the game runned at 15-20 fps (of course without shadows, shader etc..)

FINAL VERSION RELEASED!!!!
Movian
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm hoping to start work on a multilayer 3d version of a flash game i played onetime called Curve ball.. but having never done game coding before its going to be a learning curve but i am trying.

If anyone is interested i will keep you updated
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 02:02
My 3D World Studio Loader for DarkGDK is now released. Download details in the following post:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=125713&b=13

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 10:02
Lol might seem stupid but me and four other people started the Development of "Jumper - Unleashed" Based around the concept of the movie. We are currently programming an awesome Jumping System where when you hold shift, the character will vanish with some effects and you will be in Jump Flight. Automatically flying forward and controlling with the mouse. And you simply let go of the shift key and your character will reappear. Its an awesome system. Really makes you feel like you gotta get the hang of the hole teleporting thing. We are even making it that all over interaction around you freezes while you are in jump flight. The graphics are really good.
You will not play the guy from Jumper but you will play another Jumper called Marcus, or Marc. You start out in highschool. Then you discover your power. We are hoping it will be free-roam around the city. Then you can Jump to the story locations over the world. Hard development and planning but...Good games a hard game!

DevilMouse Developments Lead Developer
General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
That sounds like an awesome game idea!

CPU: AMD X2 6000+ 3.0ghz GFX: NVIDIA BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB OC-550mhz core RAM: 2048mb

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2008 05:58 Edited at: 21st Apr 2008 06:59
Thanks Its very fun playing around with this. Yesterday I ran into my designer just playing around with the Jump System during Work time . Lol. He was just hopping from one building to the other. Flying around and breaking stuff.
EDIT: Pulled the plug on the game. Two many sleepless nights of work for a no pay game. And we can't exactly afford a $500 commercial licence...

DevilMouse Developments Lead Developer
jack leon fraust
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 20:08
just for fun & learning; i'm a total noob, but i'm putting together a personal use game.

feel free to join the forum and give pointers
[href]FraKktal.x.am[/href]

i'm teaching it all to myself utilizing forums/the internet, with no training.
haven't had a 'puter that long and i'm by myself(sofar).

This is not my siggie
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 00:30 Edited at: 13th May 2008 23:23
Hi Guys... Does this count? It's still WIP ... but Scope out this thread.. page 5 has some recent stuff:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124748&b=22&p=5

Official thread for just the gui portion:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=128968&b=22

Attachments

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 04:42
Batvink - I sent ya some emails - I'm posting because I don't know if you've been busy or my emails got junk folder'ed by a spam blocker app or something. I'm hoping this post arrives in your email is all.. (Sorry all)

Leond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Question regarding Dark Dungeon sample. I am new to Dark GDK, can't see where the loaded "baddies are multiplied? The .x file is loaded once but the baddies always showup in pairs, what bit of code does that?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 14:40
You're posts are there man... 3 timies LOL - you are on new status... so a mod needs to approve your question before its published. It doesn't last forever.

Look for dbCloneObject() and dbCopyObject() I think...maybe dbInstanceObject() dunn .. i forget these details but they are in the help in the "Basic3D" section.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 04:18
Just a email notification for Batvink - I sent an email to you - posted here in case it arrives in junk folder. Thank You.
Jason

Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 22:56
Hey ... great work Jason. If this doesn't benefit the community I don't know what would! I would recommend everyone take a look at Jasons library and examples, there really is some great stuff in there including a 'state of the art' GUI system ... simply stunning!

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2008 20:47
Thanx Pixel Perfect!

It's up to version 1.1 (there is a small 37k patch) It's improved significantly. Major overhaul to make it just cleaner, tighter, faster.

I've STARTED formal Wiki'ish documentation I hope to keep adding to it fo an online reference.

Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 20:46
I'm working on an MMO space shooter called DarkStar. If you want, I'll keep you updated.

I AM THE ALL MIGHTY CORNHOLIO! Do you have TP for my bunghole?
SpaceMan Infinity
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm working on Naruto - Final Showdown, it's a fighting game like Ninja Destiny.
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2008 06:41
sounds cool guys, if I learnt C++ and sticked with it I'll be doing somthing.
(cant stick with C++, to hard, so thats why i`ve moved onto C#.)

Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2008 23:25
LT - I was also on .NET but C++ is not so difficult.

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.
Antigroup
Years of Service
User Offline
I am working on an extention to the functionality in DarkGDK.
It won't be like DarkPhysics and DarkAI with new functions and added usefulness. It will be a time saving expansion to DGDK's functionality with features to find sprites under the mouse to simplify button creation. Hopefully a function to get whatever button is pressed on the keyboard all in one function. And other functions that replace those long if/else if and switch-case-break; statements. It would save time and be helpful to those who can't figure out how to do things.(Such as set the screen to fullscreen. There was no single function for that in DGDK)

It will basically just be a few header files with lots of functions.(And .cpp files with the functions' source)
RPG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2008 21:34 Edited at: 15th Sep 2008 22:30
I have modified the Dark Dungeon sample code and re-textured some of the DarkMatter models to produce a First Person Slasher RPG.

I am working on slowing the combat sequence down to round and turn based decision+action events to simulate close quarters combat with monsters, using magic and weapons.

I anticipate using Dark Physics to enhance the collision logic and particle effects of spells. But first I will refine the combat logic before grappling the new code.

I am intending to reuse some of my existing code from 'Advanced Game Programming in C++ with DirectX' and utilise some game design patterns for managing the adventure.

I know a visual modeller who is happy to create some beasts for me. The only issue I have so far is that the free BSP Editor does not seem to support the pak files used in the World sample. So I may resort to using a Half Life level editor to build better quality levels.

After working with the Ogre framework in C++ with another physics engine, I was so pleased to see Dark GDK issued free. Well done TGC!

Click on the VIEW button below to see a screen shot.

Attachments

BigDevEd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 19:21
I downloaded DARK GDK and the stuff. I printed out a huge C++ beginners book. Good bit is stuff is free. Bad bit is it is very hard to use (though I shall still be using to create simple games, I will buy fps creator and 3d game maker) I'm not one for the coding)

The lone developer
Ram256
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi!

I know DarkBASIC and now i'm learning DarkGDK, i think it's a bit more difficult because it's a C++ programming language, so i'll work hard for it. I learned C++ before, so i already know this "ambient".

Someone knows good free tutorials for learning DarkGDK? And can someone send me some, or link them?

I think DarkBASIC is very cool and DarkGDK is coolest too, and free.

That's the way it is.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 14:24 Edited at: 12th Dec 2008 14:28
ZOMG ^^ HiJacker.....

Quick somebody call the fuzz

EDIT: sorry wrong thread entirely, not quite sure how that happened, probably something to do with me stuffing my face with Hob Nobs dunno.

WARNING! The author of this post is most probably drunk or asleep.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 10:11
Jason, I'll take a look at the link you posted up, looks interesting.

Thanks for all the other posts. Please bear in mind I need something to present if it is to appear in the newsletter. I can't simply show a screenshot or write a small description of something that may or may not reach completion.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 11:13
BatVink - My Apologies - didn't mean to waste your time - I posted that as a plug for someone I read above in this thread that seemed like they would benefit from the lib - I haven't taken development further to be honst - though 1200+ downloads and no complaints - so that is a pretty stable release I think.

--Jason

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 12:09
Might be worth another plug

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-30 11:09:03
Your offset time is: 2024-06-30 11:09:03