Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] Virus concerns. Is it safe to try these people's games?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 22:53 Edited at: 25th Feb 2008 23:04
I don't think anyone can say that every single person here is someone they trust absolutely. They might have a virus spreading around all the .exe files they make, and not even realize it.

I look at the thread titled "Downloadable games and demos" about downloadable stick at the top, and I notice a lot of the links are dead. I also notice a game titled "All Hail Hitler (Full Game)" which has been there for almost a year now. I'm thinking the staff doesn't look through all the games submitted. Or do you tolerate racist stuff like that?

Anyway, perhaps if you took the best examples there were, and hosted them on your own site, certifying they were free from viruses or racist Nazi bullsh!t, that would be something those interested in buying FPSC or FPSC X10 would enjoy seeing.

I'm downloading one demo now that is hosted on download.com. They scan for viruses and assure you that it is safe. They also have no problems hosting 80.9 MB demos of games, and I think they do this freely, so that'd be a good place for people to upload their stuff.

The last sane human being in a world gone mad.
If you were a cockroach, what type of cockroach would you be?
Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 02:14 Edited at: 26th Feb 2008 02:15
Or! You could scan it yourself before running anything as common sense implies! j/k

But all jokes aside, a seal of quality or virus free site would be pretty cool.

I will try to make one.

Image made by the overworked Biggadd.
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I will try to make one"

lol

And I scan zip files myself before opening them as you suggested...

Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 02:24
It's not to hard to make a site.

Image made by the overworked Biggadd.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 02:23 Edited at: 27th Feb 2008 02:25
If you have anti-virus protection it should pick up viruses or such when you download something.My anti-virus updates once a day automatically (check out AVG free).If you don't have anti-virus protection get it immediately.
If any download is proven to contain any type of virus or such it will be removed.
I have been around here for a few years and someone posting something with a virus on the FPSC forums is rare.Very few people are going to go to the effort to make a decent game and then slap a virus on it and mostof our forum members have the ethical sense not to post anything with a virus in it.
As far as the game in question I have not checked it out but I tend not to check out the downloadable games and demos thread unless there is a complaint...like yours which I am looking into now.I figure if something is good there will be a thread about it in the Showcase forum.

Please have mercy and use the search function.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 02:31
I just checked out the game you were complaining about.Turns out it's about Hitler being brought back to life (again) and you have to stop him.
In the Wolf 3D kind of thing.
BTW did you try to play the game or read up about it?

I made a game like 1942 except that you were a Japanese pilot in WWII and you shot down the Allies instead.That was not racist.It was a video game.
You might go back through and check out the game you posted about again.I think you will be surprised.

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 04:25 Edited at: 27th Feb 2008 04:28
Quote: "
I made a game like 1942 except that you were a Japanese pilot in WWII and you shot down the Allies instead.That was not racist.It was a video game.
You might go back through and check out the game you posted about again.I think you will be surprised.
"

Ahem...here comes bloodeath trying to make fred seem like a liar!

Actually no one/no company, will release something like that, because alot of people would consider that racist/terrorism. Have you ever seen a game where you're supposed to kill allies? no. Atleast not from this country. Because if you did, you'd have alot of people on you're ass about it. Now im not saying no one has made an indie game like that. But no game, EVER will get published where you kill allies/american soliders as the point. Unless it is an RTS or something of that nature and you can pick different factions. thats just the way it works in america

EDIT

and for my proof *Kind of proof* look at wolvenstien 3d and all those games, you kill russians/germans cant remember, but what ever race you're supposed to kill, that country made wolvenstien illegal.

Because you wont see russians/germans that want to play a game where the point is to kill their old relatives. No one wants to play a game where you get to shoot and kill your war vet grandpa ETC ETC. Its just how things work.

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 04:50
Quote: "Because you wont see russians/germans that want to play a game where the point is to kill their old relatives. No one wants to play a game where you get to shoot and kill your war vet grandpa ETC ETC. Its just how things work."
I actually couldn't care less. Why is it worse to kill a faceless marine who will respawn again in ten seconds than it is to kill one from your county. I play RO against the Allies a lot (yes as a Nazi) because they have my favorite weapon the MG-42. BTW, RO is American developed I believe and published as well. Thinking to hard about this kind of thing in a video-game is silly IMO, but to each, his own.

[img]
[/img] Check out the Elite OPS Terrorstike thread in the showcase.
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
You know bloodeath, I agree- I thought it was a big deal in COD4 when the American marine died, the one that you played as, and the british/russians were the "heroes" it didn't seem like a regular "American made game". Also during the game, there are little parts here and there that poke at the idea that US marines, actually the US group as a whole were arrogant and ignored the intelligence about a possible nuke threat and that they made a giant mistake going after al Asad, or who ever. And the part at the end where it was Britain saving the US from nuke strikes, coupled with the "cover-up" ending... There was definitely some underlying stuff there that fell close to the "do not produce and publish" area. Think about it. What kind of government would want a game being played by their "possible" recruits that depicts their armed forces as weak, and ignorant.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 06:44
Some countries have strange and stifling restrictions on what games they allow...which is garbage you ought to get to play whatever you want if you are over 18 but that's another story.
My game was not offensive at all...8 bit planes shooting at each other.I only switched the desigs and made the player the Japanese plane and the Japanese planes turned into American ones.
If it makes you feel any better sooner or later you always ran out of lives and died (typical of any arcade shooter from that time period) so the Allies would win...technically.
I like Wolf 3D.I have RTCW on the Xbox and a wide variety of the Wolf stuff from the 90's.
Also,if a company makes a game and wants it distributed in Germany the blood can't be red...strange stuff like that.
Look at GTA...you kill Americans in that but people all over the world buy it and nobody cares if they are American.

Teh Frm4terer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 09:36
jeez...

guys, it's a game...

If you're offended by shooting pixels on a screen, don't buy fpsc...

Ia Cthulhu...
Wolf Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 10:21
Quote: "FredP
I just checked out the game you were complaining about.Turns out it's about Hitler being brought back to life (again) and you have to stop him.
In the Wolf 3D kind of thing.
BTW did you try to play the game or read up about it?
"

I was fearful of viruses, so no, didn't check on it. Hail means to salute though, so "Hail Hitler" would be someone applauding the monster.

Perhaps a better name would be Stop Hitler, or a more exciting Stop Hitler Now. Or instead of Hail Hitler, Go to Hell Hitler, or something like that. Maybe invent a machine where you open a portal to hell, and decide for the heck of it, to go down there and shoot Hitler in the face.

The game would have something like:
"I know its hell, and its suppose to be the worse possible place you could be in, but we just aren't convinced Hitler is suffering enough. I mean is Hell actually Hell by American standards? Or can we make it worse? So, we're going to go down there, and teach ol' Satan how to do some waterboarding, and other things he might not have thought of, since not a single non-American has ever invented anything, we having to teach those foreign bastards how to do everything."

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 11:12
Quote: "Hail means to salute though, so "Hail Hitler" would be someone applauding the monster."

Er, so why is that racist?

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 17:07 Edited at: 27th Feb 2008 17:08
Satan dont surf.
Quote: "since not a single non-American has ever invented anything, we having to teach those foreign bastards how to do everything"

Looks like your dancing on a little thin ice youself with that statement.
The way its going the only folk its safe to shoot are Aliens,no wonder they wont come down and play.

Wolf Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 17:30
Uh... that was a joke. Its the often perceived stereotype of the arrogant American.

Hmm... late at night when I posted... reading it now, its not as funny. Was thinking of some inbred redneck with a cowboy hat ... ah nevermind.

The Naztec lines of Peru were made by people with hot air balloons. Many westerns rejected this, despite the obvious evidence, since if it wasn't made by one of them, the inherit racist notion is that it couldn't have been made at all. Was thinking about a documentary I saw on that and other things. They found textiles strong enough to make a hot air balloon out of, and pictures of people in baskets under balloons flying around. But some snotty elitists who graduated from the best(most expensive) colleges refuse to accept that.

Wolf Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 17:36
The way its going the only folk its safe to shoot are Aliens,no wonder they wont come down and play.
"

First off, the Martians are notorious media pirates, some saying they even invented file sharing. Originally they just picked up all the old television and radio signals that left Earth, but after a time actually started visiting us, and stealing our bandwidth. You know why everyone doesn't have super fast internet access, even where the fiber optic lines are already laid, and can handle far more than they are? Its not just because the government spies on you with Echelon, although they do, but because for every single human with broadband, we're supporting a bunch of Martians as well. Also, no matter who wins the election, they will be replaced by robots, assuming they haven't been already.

My point being, the Martian play all of our games already, having agents in every single game software company already, to get the latest releases. Sometimes talented developers stop making great games, because they replace them with robot duplicates, and ship the original off world to give them cybernetic brain enhancements, and make really good games only for the Martian audience. Its sad but true.

----
And Benjamin, saluting the monster, is applauding his actions, which involves genocide of millions.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 17:51
Quote: "And Benjamin, saluting the monster, is applauding his actions, which involves genocide of millions."

What does this have to do with racism?

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 18:22 Edited at: 27th Feb 2008 18:58
Quote: "Uh... that was a joke."

Its o.k. I was just making the point that no matter what you say someone will find a way to be offended.
It seems to be o.k. to shoot anyone you like so long as they aren't wearing a uniform,this of course excludes chavs and for some reason Germans/Russians,I cant see the difference between killing swat teams and soldiers in games,it may have a lot to do with whether or not your armed forces are currently in a war situation and its bad form not to support them.
One strange thing, its o.k. to kill American/British troops so long as your storyline entails some kind of sinister government plot Which should mean they are always fair game

As for your original question any games which have been up here for a while would have been reported as having any virus pretty darn quick and the uploader banned.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 21:38
Quote: "Was thinking of some inbred redneck with a cowboy hat ... ah nevermind."

I do NOT wear a cowboy hat!!!

Wolf Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 21:55 Edited at: 27th Feb 2008 21:57
Wolf Dreamer: "And Benjamin, saluting the monster, is applauding his actions, which involves genocide of millions." "

Benjamin

What does this have to do with racism?
"

Uh... the genocide thing was based on racism? Certain races were seen as inferior, and responsible for whatever bad things they needed to blame people on.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 22:10
That's enough of that.The original game in question was not racist and we have probably strected the AUP past its limit with some of the political posts around here.
Either way the original problem has been sorted out.As I have the time (since I have to edit 3 years of posts) I will be cleaning up the demos/games sticky at the top of the forums.
Don't be expecting miracles...the thread was started before I came along so I do expect it to take a while.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 03:25:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 03:25:41