Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Turret Defense programming difficulty

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 19:09 Edited at: 30th May 2008 19:10
I haven't touch DBPro since '04 and am really rusty. Yesterday I got inspired to make a turret defense game so I re-downloaded DBPro, searched my sea of emails for my activation code and downloaded the patch to get my DBPro 1.54 to 6.8. After doing all that I decided to get started and well I ran into a problem. I forgot everything lol. So I have decided to spend the next 2 days doing a pong game as a refresher then jumping in on the turret defense game.

What I want to ask is basically, is a turret defense game all that hard? I mean, every turret I make would have its own AI and to complicate things more, I want to make it on moving platforms, where as the turrets are stationed on a spaceship that is moving and maybe even add things like black holes that would suck in the missles and pull the ships off course. Actually, the black holes will come in later. For now, its a simple turret defense game that bases itself on the hulls of the ship which you can drive. Basically the only user input taken is to build the turrets and drive the ship. That is all you can do. Think of the www.handdrawngames.com turret defense game but on the walls of a movable ship.

Anyways, am I going beyond the scope of my skill right now? Should I scale down the game?

Thanks in advance

-sigh- DBPro can't program in the 4th dimension
Current Project: untitled 4 years, 5 restarts, 1% chance of ever finishing.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 13:07
I've just played that game - nice, simple and fun

It shouldn't been too difficult to do - there's not much to it:
- Need a little maths to point turrets, determine distances and guide missiles to targets.
- Need a simple path-finder.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2008 22:19
Quote: "a simple path-finder."

Is there a such thing as a simple pathfinder???

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 00:06
Yes there is (see the recursion part of the newsletter), but that's probably a little too simple for this.

You could use the Search library I wrote, but that's probably too complex, although the Flood search routines would be ideal for this (one expensive search, then the rest are almost free until the landscape changes).

There's another search type in the codebase too that you could try.

Another that I remember was written years ago by VanB (IIRC) that was reasonably fast and simple ... if you can find it. Again, this would be an ideal search method to use.

Ideally, you'd only run a search when the play adds or removes a unit - if any of the enemy units can't reach it's destination, you disallow the move.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 16:39
Thanks IanM Sorry to interrupt this thread...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 16:30:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 16:30:20