Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Performance...still worried

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
OK,so this still bothers me.
I made simple 2d games so far.The performance on my ancient pc is great,even when executed from DarkBASIC.But how about 3d?I just dont know.People always told me C++ is a lot faster than BASIC.But I still hope 3d games written in DB run OK.I couldnt find a high quality 3d game written in DB.Can i make games with the graphics like in counter strike source and make them run good on core duo,2 ghz,2 gb ram??

books->movies->games
best seclub
Years of Service
User Offline
^ O.o huh?Of course,ill need a guy that is good at photoshop,a 3d modeller,someone who will write the storyline,a guy who will make the audio effects,another one who will write music(simple songs),and so on...
Im not thinking of making a game like that.I just ask:can DB handle it?

books->movies->games
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2008 20:45
DBPro probably could handle something like that, so long as you're efficient in how you go about it.

best seclub
Years of Service
User Offline
^Err,could you guys post a link to one of the best looking DB games(or 3d apps)?

books->movies->games
Ed222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2008 22:19 Edited at: 15th Jun 2008 22:20
Quote: "Yes, just don't assume that a single person can do it"

but it is possible it just requires
1.A lot of motivation
2.Patience
3.A lot of time like 5-3 years or longer
4.A big HD
5.and your willing to learn modelling,programming,music composing
and Be warned not for the faint hearted

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 02:26
Quote: "you're really, really overestimating what a single person can do in his spare time"

..and then there's people like me, who do this 40-50 hours a week. I'm lucky enough to have a wife that makes good money and I really don't have to work. So I get to pursue my dreams.

Will the quality of the graphics be as good as some of the AAA titles out there? Nope. Not unless I find a really good artist that's willing to work for what I can afford. (which isn't much right now..)

BUT, it is possible.

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 05:03
as long as your code is efficient and you do not have too many high poly objects on screen all at once, you will be fine.

Quote: "Yes, just don't assume that a single person can do it."

Quote: "3.A lot of time like 5-3 years or longer"

these are hardly correct. for an RPG or other large project, yes. but some simple FPSs, puzzle games, ect. can be made fairly quickly. i just made a game in DBP in 3 and a half weeks and i turned it in for my computer science final. coincidentally, i just made a post on it here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=131606&b=5

best seclub
Years of Service
User Offline
For the music,i still dont know what i am allowed to use.I can get audio effects and sounds.And people just ask to give credits.But how about,for example,if i wanted to put a rap music in my game?Am i allowed to do so if i give credits to the artists,or do i really need to pay him some cash?

books->movies->games
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 15:13
Quote: "People always told me C++ is a lot faster than BASIC."

That statement is very misleading. Firstly, DB Pro is written in C++ itself, and what you publish is a compiled C++ program. At the level you are programming you use BASIC syntax, and so it is running "procedurally" at that stage, so it's a hybrid of the 2 styles.

BASIC is not - in most cases - what it used to be. VB.Net is as efficient as C++.Net. "BASIC is slower" tends to refer to the days when it was an interpreted language.

best seclub
Years of Service
User Offline
^ Yowza!How come i didnt know that?You mean DarkBASIC compiler is written in C++ or the BASIC code written with it is converted to C++?Confused...

books->movies->games
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 14:56
Quote: "You mean DarkBASIC compiler is written in C++"

Correct.

Quote: "or the BASIC code written with it is converted to C++?Confused"

No it doesn't.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 16:51
It is a 2-level approach. At the bottom, everything is pure C++ code. Above this, you "script" the engine functionality. So you have a procedural script calling C++ code.

best seclub
Years of Service
User Offline
^ Yep,its binary.
I dont see if making it C++ code in the middle will make it faster,wont it?

books->movies->games
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2008 15:34
The point I'm trying to make is that it is based on compiled C++, rather than an interpreted BASIC program.

best seclub
Years of Service
User Offline
... works for me!

books->movies->games
Ed222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 04:44
@windowskiller
Quote: "People are either good in programming, modelling, level design, etc., but not in everything required for a whole game at the same time. "

nope it's possible look at the guy who made starwraith he says
Quote: "I am the programmer, artist, 3D modeller, musician, audio technician, marketing person, website designer, and technical support person for these games."

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 17:48
Quote: "Starwraith is a very good game, but it's hardly on par with Counter Strike Source. Please keep that in mind when discussing any further because that is what the question was all about!"

actually, if you reread the top, he only asks about graphics being on par with CS, not gameplay. this would rely on the modelers abilities.

Quote: "but such a game will never reach the quality of a commercial game on which dozens of people worked on for years.
"

actually, with the way today's game creation tools are heading, it is becoming easier for indie programmers/game makers to make games that are closer in quality than ever before.

just look at Runescape: sure, the graphics aren't that great (but they are being updated), but it was made by a few college students. and now it has hundreds of thousands of pay-to-play members!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 16:22:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 16:22:27