Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Happy normals an instan normal map generator.

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 18:23 Edited at: 21st Jun 2008 13:02
ok this is my own normal map generator that i have made so its easier for me when learning to write shaders.
and its done completely in dark basic with no plugins so it only supports dbps formats when saving and loading.
i use dbps native bump mapping effect so nothing fancy but you se the normal map in action.
let me know if its usefull for you and please post some screens of the normal maps in action in your own projects.
its my only pleasure as this program is freeware and an gift to this comunity that i love.
supported load formats (img)
bmp.dds.tga.png.jpg.dib
save formats (img)
bmp.jpg.dds.dib

bugg fix reported by sixty squares......
-------------------------------------------------------
it will set the directory to default that you use.
you only have to select it at the prg upstart never inside the prg.
-------------------------------------------------------
latest version.(0.1b)
http://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/?i=1527582

yust an tiny reminder that this generator uses an grafix shader for the job so its fast but will not work on older machines.
and is an public beta so it have buggs and glitches.
cheers
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome.

Anonymous User
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice, similar to crazy bump, but free and only for normal maps. I'm interested.

???
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 21:09
Thanks for this, you really are very generous. You should look at producing some more and selling. I`d be happy to part with a little cash for things like this. Crazy Bump is cool, I just don`t like the price, thanks again.
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 21:42
I think in eXtends there's a DOT3 command which generates normalmaps
anyway nice App

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 02:43
Looks pretty useful I'll give it a go on some of the models of a game I'm working on (If I ever get that far!).

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 10:36
thanks guys as iam only have worked on it for 1 week on my very tiny spare time.
---------------
red flames
are you sure as i couldt find it as it could be usefull if someone cant run it with hardware shaders?
i first tryed to do it completely in software without shaders but got slow.
---------------
james h
i know wath you mean it was the price of crazy bumps that got me in to making this program.
---------------
sixty squares
when i get the time so will i implement an object loader so that you can view you project files within the generator.
and adjust the normal map directly on it.
-----------------
Anonymous User
yes for now does it only support normal maps as iam new to shaders and only studied the normal maps.
could easially be done to generate ordinary greyscale bumps to.
but iam an perfectonist and want it to be an actual height map like for an terrain but built around the texture.
and when i nead it will i probably make support for other textures like occlusion and stuff.
-------------------------
cheers everyone
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 19:04 Edited at: 20th Jun 2008 19:09
Pretty useful program . I'm still deciding which of the ones it generates to use for different parts of my game.

Quote: "let me know if its usefull for you and please post some screens of the normal maps in action in your own projects."

See attachment. The normal map on the road and the one on the guy standing there were created using this program (there is also a bloom shader in the picture). I like the result, but there is room for improvement on some of the other models...

Any ideas which settings would be best for texturing a model and which would be best for texturing something like a road?

Sugguestions: I would sugguest 2 things:

1) Explain what Layer1 Blend and Layer2 Blend do.

2) Have it stay in the last directory accessed by the program after you're done loading/saving an image when you try to do it again. Right now it goes back to the place where I extraced "happy_normals" to and I have to go back to my DBPro game directory to import a new texture. The change is not really that necessary, but it bugged me a tiny bit .

Other than that, great program

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 12:16 Edited at: 21st Jun 2008 12:23
layer blend 1 simply blends image 2 over image 1 (img 3) with the % you set and blend 2 does it reversed (img 4).
i belive you nead an sharp map for the soldier and version 3 or 4 for the road with not so much detail.
will look in to that as its probably simple as i have set the file loader to always go back to the default directory?
i have many ideas but little time
one thing you also can do i found is simply generate an normal map.
save it and the load it back in as an texture and run the calculation on the normal map.
after that to se how the normal looks on right texture simply load an new in so the model aint textured with the normal map any more.
cheers
ps
looks good the screenie but know wath you mean the road is to much shiny so test 3 or 4.
also experiment with the negativ value an low value gives an bright version and high value an dark.
negativ is used on image 2 , 3 and 4.

i also found that an layer blend of 50 will probably give the right img for the road as the details gets smerred between 1 and 2.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 12:55 Edited at: 21st Jun 2008 12:59
ok sixty fixed the directory bugg now
it will set the directory to default that you use.
you only have to select it at the prg upstart never inside the prg.
cheers

Attachments

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 20:16
Ah thanks for explaining that Cliff. Oh and the directory fix works great

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 00:32
great that your satisfied
will maybe not update this for a short while as i started to experiment with polynominal mapping that seams right now to be the new better thing than normal mapping?
and probably neads to do an map generator for that type of shader as soon as i have got my polynormal shader to work the way i want.
it neads 2 completely diferrent types of map images than normal mappings 1.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 14:58 Edited at: 28th Jun 2008 15:05
ok could not keep my hands away so have started to work on some laplace and blur effects for the generator.
that also uses hardware so the speed is awesome.
laplace is simply an edge conversion tool so that you can set varius values to get better sharpnes and other gooddies.
and the blur is awesome with alot of fast blurryness.
iam thinking about putting in an greyscale generator if anyone is intrested?
good for parrallax mapping where you use both an normal mapp and an greyscale bump map.
and yes its still freeware.
i found that i should stick to simplier shaders now so this is great lerning stuff for me to get better at shaders so tell me wath functions do you want ?
so will i try to implent them.
cheers
included an sample laplace image but are still in the works.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:23:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:23:15