Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Aftermath

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 17:53 Edited at: 10th Jul 2008 19:31

Some say WWIII has long ended. Yet others say there is still hope.

The first attack came on a Sunday. On March 20th, 2008, a day we now know as “Impact”, China unleashed Nuclear Hell on Canada. Hundreds of Nuclear missiles were launched into the sky. Alarms went off all over the world. Europe exposed all of it's Nuclear missiles, ready to fire at a moments notice. The U.S. Raised a nationwide alarm. The message - “Take cover”. Within the next hour, contact with Canada was lost. The Canada we knew was gone.

Then the sides were picked. China teamed up with the most powerful countries in the world, and the U.S. Allied with the British. But there was no hope. China quickly went to bisness unleashing hordes of Nuclear missiles upon North America. It turns out China had launched several satellites in the past decades. All aimed at the U.S.'s crucial week points. First, D.C. Went. The pentagon was blasted off the face of the earth, and the white house was completely obliterated. Next came New York, Seattle, and L.A. Then several missiles were fired and took down America's communication system. The nation was crippled. But it didn't go out without a fight. The land mass once known as Chine was 3/4 gone by March 21st. The U.S. Had managed to launch all of it's missiles even before the first strike from China made contact. Of course, Europe imploded. Several countries went into small civil wars, and most ignorantly killed their neighbors and died from the fallout.

Yet all this time, Russia was just watching. No one even touched Russia. No one cared. On the 23rd, once all of the world was completely obliterated, Russia killed the stragglers and assumed control of the Planet we knew as Earth.

Russia had been training an army of Super Advanced Super Soldiers. Called EBMWC, “Enhanced Bio-Mechanical War Cyborg”, they were the most powerful troops in the history of Earth. Russia's army of over 1 million EBMWC units quickly transported themselves all over the world and eliminated the enemy.

But of course, the American Government wasn't stupid either. It has also been planning to make a “Super Army”, but it had only succeeded in manufacturing 4 of it's own Cyborgs, called “RAAU” for “Reconnaissance and Attack Armed Unit”. You are one of these four RAAU units.

You've been in Cryogenic freezing for the past 27 years, and a lot has changed since you were first put into Suspended Animation. First off, the world you know is gone. Because of the Nuclear war, the entire planet, except for Russia, Greenland, and Antarctica is bathed in deadly nuclear fallout. Greenland is still alive only because Russia didn't see it as a threat, but reports are coming in that the Russian president knows of our presence here, and is planning an attack. But enough of that, on to other matters.

We are the only surviving U.S. Citizens. We have one goal. Our only goal is to TAKE RUSSIA DOWN! You and your RAAU unit are humanity's last hope, failure is not an option.. Good Luck.

The year is 2035 and Russia rules the world.

The above is the storyline (obviously). I wrote this a couple months ago with a friend and ever since then with the help of this forum I've actually gotten really far, and I think Aftermath is ready for a WIP.

Aftermath (when done) will be a Futuristic FPS in which you have to actually use strategy to finish the game. In other words, unlike Halo, you won't be able to run into a room full of enemies and live. Instead, I want to game to be something like Counterstrike, where you have to use your wits to stay alive and eliminate your oponents.

There will be a level editor so you can make your own levels and save them. And, I've actually gotten really far on the level editor. Right now it supports everything except saving.

I was gonna post some screenies, but right now, I havn't modeled a single thing for the game, all I have is the core engine running some maps I found on the net, and 1 map that I made for testing.

Here is the todo list -

=done
=in progress
=not started

Engine
^^^^^^
HUD
Load
Save
Physics
Controls
Menu System
Loading custom Campaigns/Levels (.cmp/.lev)
Weapons'in'a'text'file
Bullet holes
AI system
Visual waypoint functions
Sounds

Editor
^^^^^^
Physics System
Physics Objects
Loading of Level
Creation of Physics Objects
Movement
Click-'n-drag physics objects
Triggers
Placing of Enemies
Placing of Entities
Placing of Weapons/Vehicles
Scripts
Physics Joints
Load/Save

And just in case anyone wants to know, no, we don't have a 2D texture artist, so feel free to volunteer!!!

Homey the Clown
Years of Service
User Offline
ya sounds cool but you better put up some screenies or your wip is going to get flamed. just word of advice. but the story seems convincing. ill give you that.

Homey

"I don't think so... Homey don't play that."
-Homey D. Clown
Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz processor,512MB Ram,GeForce4 MX 4000
Buck1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 19:56 Edited at: 26th Jun 2008 20:51
Ok some screenies

A screenie of the weapon data file

A screenie of the Main Menu (There will be a background pic)

Here you can see the Campaign Selection screen

And here is a screenshot inside my test level.

Yet again, this game is no where near finished, but the engine is almost done. So this WIP thread is actually for the engine...

Oldsk00l
Homey the Clown
Years of Service
User Offline
ya uh...im not seeing anything. try using a photobucket account or something. perhaps you should scale your image down to like 800x600. no need to chop. just scale.

Homey

-Homey D. Clown
Buck1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 20:37
It works for me. You just gotta wait, as the site I used is on the slow side I geuss. If a pic doesn't show, right click and do "show picture"

Oldsk00l
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 20:40
Looks nice. The weapon is a little tiny though. Scale it a bit bigger?

- Elias, Damezean, Nackidno, Wonderboy

AntocGames - http://antocgames.se.nu/
Buck1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 20:53
Fixed the pics

And yes, the weapon can be scaled. But remember, the weapon is only for testing, as the game takes place in the year 2035

*Oh, and the scaling is in the weapon's definition in the weapon data file. Now isn't that convenient?*

Oldsk00l
Homey the Clown
Years of Service
User Offline
alright now the pics are working. well it looks pretty solid. so in your data file for your weapons, do you have a set where the engine checks for the variable(s) mentioned or is just straightforward reading from the text file? are there default values?

looks nice,
Homey

-Homey D. Clown
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 22:52
If this is FPSC please put it in the right forum, as they have their own WIP section.

Homey the Clown
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmm...well he is mentioning about it being a game engine thats wip and it doesnt look fpsc'ish.

-Homey D. Clown
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 23:51
Quote: "If this is FPSC please put it in the right forum, as they have their own WIP section."

How could this be FPSC... the first screenshot shows a game engine weapons file and he mentions "Game Engine" a lot...

@Buck1000: Intresting plot Looking forward to a demo/video

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 00:33
Quote: "You and your RAAU unit are humanity's last hope"
\

I'm pretty sure that Russians are technically part of humanity

Looks like a good start. Of course, had that many missiles hit Canada in the first place, I think the world would implode

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 00:47
Lol very much @ Airslide's comment.

Of course, Russia, Switzerland and the Netherlands stay neutral. I'll just be here on TGC in 2035 .

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Buck1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 02:43 Edited at: 27th Jun 2008 02:47
Quote: "Quote: "You and your RAAU unit are humanity's last hope"

I'm pretty sure that Russians are technically part of humanity
"

I'll fix that...

Quote: "Looks like a good start. Of course, had that many missiles hit Canada in the first place, I think the world would implode
"
lol

Yeah this is made in DBPro. And no, the files don't have default values, and the engine reads them directly. (Yes, I know this makes it soooooo not-error-free, but since I'll be writing the .dat files, its fine.

Also in that pic you can see the .cmp files in the background, and the levels folder. Every Campaign has it's own .cmp file, which points to the campaign's .lev files. All the level/campaign data is stored in these.

Check back to the first post as I'll be updating the checklist with my progress. I just finished the Physics System in the level editor. (See first post)

Oldsk00l
Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 16:40
Quote: "March 20th, 2008"

I don't remember any missiles hitting canada. I hope I'm not blacking out again.

Looks pretty good engine wise, but its not much visually at the moment.
Buck1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 18:26
Well yeah, like I said, I have nothing modeled. I am working on the training mission in 3DWS though...

My friend is doing the model of the RAAU unit, along with alot of other stuff, and DB Programmer is making a couple weapons based on drawings from my OTHER friend... This graphics part is the most complicated right now. In my opinion, this project might die because of a lack of models and 2D art.

Jeez I wish I was on a big team.

programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 13:32
Wow, this game I think will look good when it is done!

Quote: "Well yeah, like I said, I have nothing modeled. I am working on the training mission in 3DWS though..."

The same thing with my game that I am working with, we have 3 programers, o modelers...

Quote: "Jeez I wish I was on a big team."

I think everyone does, so you would only do very little. But then it would be hard to communicate.

Buck1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 21:04
Well, I would want a big team, so that I had too do all of the programming, but no art. There would be like 5 modelers, 5 2d artists, 3 cinematics dudes, and several concept artists.

I would want to do literally all of the programming though, so I could make sure the game was exactly what I wanted it to be.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:21:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:21:41