Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Simple Polygon Lighting

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 06:45
I have kinda big problem, but i dont think the answer is that hard.
I have a big floor, its one huge box with dimensions of 100X1X100
I also have some other objects on the floor box. When i stick in a light. It affects the objects on the floor. But the floor itself remains unchanged. If you move the light to the corner to the floor, the corner becomes lit, and the light it working, but when you move the light to the center, the center and corner are not lit?
I just dont get it... Any help?

This is my WIP, not even ready for a WIP thread yet though.http://smallgroupproductions.com/
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 12:51
Because at the corners you have vertices, at the centre you don't. Default hardware lights work only on vertices so to get lighting to look better and work across a more fine area you need to add more vertices to your model, an alternative to this is per-pixel lighting via a shader, this will do similar calculations that are done in hardware lights, but perform them on a per-pixel basis meaning your floor object could be as large as you like and the lighting will still work fine. You're best off looking at the Ultimate Shader pack which can be found on the WIP or program announcement boards which comes with a variety of shaders that do this and more.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 19:32 Edited at: 8th Jul 2008 02:23
Thanks man. Ill go check out the US pack.
EDIT:
Okay, i did that. But now the set shadow shading on command isnt working. I know i need a real DBPRO light to do that, and i have one. I darbk basic light and a shader light. I told the object to get affected by both. And then I told it to cast a shadow from the DBPRO one. But nothing happened?
How would i got about getting to cast a shadow, cause it did before i put in the shader lights... (but of course now when i take those out it still wont work )

This is my WIP, not even ready for a WIP thread yet though.http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 00:32
Maybe it is working but the floor has nothing to cast a shadow onto because it is flat?

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 01:16
well i have a wall that should be casting a shadow on the floor.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 16:25:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 16:25:00