Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How do I texture primitives using a different texture per side?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Basically all I know how to do is make a primitive like a cube and load a texture and slap it on the cube but the texture just covers all sides and the top.

I want to know how I control this so I can texture just the top with a roof texture and the sides with a building texture that has windows?

I tried searching tfor this but didn't see anything specific to my problem. Thanks for your help!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 17:57
You can't with a primitive box. You will need to load a model box made elsewhere, which is suitably texture-mapped. A search on UV mapping will help you understand how it all works.

fhtughryf
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you! People like you make this community strong.
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 22:51
Quote: "Thank you! People like you make this community strong. "

A moderator doing his job? Dear god what has the world come to!

heheh, couldn't resist.

parrot
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 00:38
You could make a cube out of plains using the MAKE MESH FROM OBJECT, ADD LIMB, and OFFSET LIMB commands. Then you could use TEXTURE LIMB to texture the limbs (now faces of the cube) however you wanted (I think TDK did this a while back)

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 01:03
or have 1 texture split into a 3 by 2 grid and rearrange the UV values of a primitive cube to show a different bit of the image. See link below for an old snippet of mine;

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=53538&b=6

Boo!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 14:56
Completely off-topic: Spooky! Haven't seen you around in a long time!

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 00:41
@BatVink - Yeah I know. Work-life has been hectic over last year or so and so I literally have no spare time for DBPro and this will be the situation for at least another 6 months. Only then will things quiten down a bit and I will hopefully have some time to finish all the projects I started about 3 years ago!

Boo!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 16:25:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 16:25:26