Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hi guys, was wondering if anyone could help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi everyone, im extremly new to darkbasic. i just installed it last night, and have been reading the tutorials but i dont really understand how to start making a game. I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand for a bit to get a grasp of darkbasic.

Thanks alot

-rennie
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 22:51
First of all, what do you want to make? A pong? A pacman-like game? Start with something simple.

- Elias, Damezean, Nackidno, Wonderboy

AntocGames - http://antocgames.se.nu/
Rennie
Years of Service
User Offline
well i figured i would start with a simple pacman game. i just dont know where to start. i did dl the qbasic and follow the pacman tutorial. but when i try to do simalar things in darkbasic pro, and i hit the debug key, itll just minamize like its going to load the "game" but then maximize back to the reg screen.

im sorry i am really a huge noob, but would love to learn, thanks for any help
Nano brain
Years of Service
User Offline
Rennie,

Read the tutorials that come with DarkBasic. Trust me, you'll learn quite a bit from them if you try. If you have any questions about them, then ask us. After that you can try to program your own game. But first, tutorials...especially if you have never programmed before with any language. Good luck! Glad to have you in the circle!
Nano brain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 23:38 Edited at: 10th Jul 2008 23:40
Go here for some fresh tutorials for newcomers. It teaches about variables and various aspects of the principles. It also gets into 3d stuff. Enjoy!
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 00:09
I think i can help with your pacman game code. Post it and i'll try to point out the problems

parrot
Rennie
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks guys
Well i only did the Qbasic tutorial, which if i understood correctly, wont work on darkbasic. The tutorials i have read are great, but they dont teach you a starting point.

i love games, and learned how to mess with medal of honor : allied assualt (back when it was new). i was able to convert single player maps to multi-player and then take the ingame objects and make those maps really cool. i know that isnt really skripting, more of copy and paste, but thats what got me interested in game designing.
nano, thanks for thew link i will check it out now just wish there was a tutorial wich would show you step one through the final step which is universal.

lastly, any idea why i get "cannot create c:\program files\dark basic software\dark basic profesional\temp\dbp_prgram.exe"

i only put PRINT "hello world"

again thanks for your time guys and help
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 16:01 Edited at: 19th Jul 2008 16:01
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132979&b=7

There's a tutorial that seems to start from the beginning . As for the compiling error, try creating a new project file for your project. Maybe that will fix it?

EDIT: WHOOPS that's the same link Nano posted

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 00:30
If you want 'from the beginning' to actually mean 'from the beginning' then see tutorial 1 here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=10&t=99497&p=0

Tutorials which have been copied often... but never beaten!

TDK_Man

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 18:21:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 18:21:25