Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How do you make sprites that move?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok so I have no idea how this works, I know a sprite is basically an image. How do I create a 3D sprites (wanting to make a human), and importantly, make the sprite move using certain keyboard keys?
Emphasoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 15:45 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2008 15:48
Hey, welcome to the forums, and the wonderful and frustrating world of programming. This request is vague, but I'd be happy to give you some code to play with. Also, if you haven't already, I'm pretty sure that there are examples of this in the help files.

Edit:
I forgot to mention-sprites are automatically rendered by a 3d engine, but have no depth. In order to create a true 3d image, you use the basic3d command set, and probably must create a model in an external program

I admire its purity, a lone survivor, unclouded by delusions of morality or conscience. -Parker, from ALIEN.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 01:18 Edited at: 24th Jul 2008 01:20
A 3D sprite is actually called an object in Dark Basic. You'd need a 3D modelling program to create a model, but Dark Basic sells some and I'm sure people have posted some around as well. Turbosquid.com has some too. Also, to make an object's limbs move, it would need to be animated (This can be done in a 3D modelling program as well)

ANYWAY... Dark Basic has some commands for making 3D objects if you'd like to use them.

To load an object, use "LOAD OBJECT filename, object number (b/c every object needs its own number)"

Here's a simple object movement example. I'll make a sphere using DB's commands:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 18:23:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 18:23:10