Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Equinox Level Editor (Beta)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 22:02 Edited at: 25th Apr 2009 22:51
I've been working on a level editor in DarkGDK recently that's used to mostly create indoor levels, however some outdoor is also possible. This means that terrains etc are not used, but they will hopefully be implemented in V2.

I've put this up for download because I'd like to see what kinds of bugs there are involved. If you find any, just post them here and I'll give it a shot to fix them.

Controls:
- Selecting Cube/Sphere/Load in the object panel sets the kind of object you wish to create. Click "Create" to make it.
- Move/Scale/Rotate change the transform mode of the object.
- Grid+ and Grid- change the size of the grid. 10 minimum.
- Delete removes an object (can also use Backspace and the delete button)
- Copy and Paste - obvious
- Ctrl+Z to undo
- Alt+Mouse to rotate the camera. Alt+Mousewheel to move around.

- Levels must be saved with a .LVL extension

Here's a screenshot of a test level that I made. When using it, take notice of the custom interface. If I may say so myself, I'm rather proud of it, lol

Download is attached.

Thanks

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 22:35 Edited at: 25th Apr 2009 22:46
so far, very hard to use.

the file system isn't happy... if i go to open something and change my mind, choosing cancel, the app hangs.

placing objects then going to the menu sometimes moves the object to where the mouse is even tho the menu is supposed to have the focus.

how do you move the camera? are there keyboard commands we don't know about? arrowkeys and wasd do nothing for me. and, can we re-size objects somehow?

when loading X files, textures are lost.

save level doesn't add a file extension so load level can't filter. have to use "all files" in file dialog. also, is it saving the model inside the lvl file or saving the reference to it/them?

i'm using vista (64) and have everything set as far as UAC/permissions/run as admin, etc. and i'm getting plenty of these (mainly when using the file system):

add: i played with it for 5-10 mins but will revisit and provide more (thorough) feedback. meanwhile, any usage instructions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 22:45
Thanks VN.

The problem, as we all know, with testing our own stuff is that we subconsciously don't try things that we know will break. This is the kind of post I was looking for!

I'll edit my first post with how to control it.

Thanks!
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 23:20 Edited at: 26th Apr 2009 23:23
Just been testing it a bit too, and one thing I noticed (working from Virtual Nomads post here), is that I haven't noticed any problems with the file system when loading textures, or cancelling that dialog for that matter. But as soon as I use the file dialogs from the file menu, I managed to get the same error as screenshoted above when cancelling the dialog box.

Otherwise the bug where you can crash the progam by not selecting the type of object you want and then click the "create" button. Something Zotoaster is already aware of, but might aswell throw it out there so everyone else is aware of it and noticed about the report of it ^^

This is also using Vista X64.

I don't have any models laying around currently so can't really give a more in-depth test of that I'm afraid

Other than that it would maybe be a good idea to be able to make them menu stay open while you manipulate your objects in the level, so its quicker to work with the scale, move tool and so on, making it more seamless.

But so far so good ^^ A promising editor.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 04:02
I'd be careful, you might have a law suit on your hands!
http://http://ee.misoftstudios.com/

Watch out Matt is the forum president as well.... The FBI are coming to get you!

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 09:49
FBI - the Forum Bureau of Investigation

Anyway, this editor looks quite nice, i'm downloading now, will post better crit then.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:40:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:40:25