Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2009 19:28 Edited at: 18th Oct 2009 19:48

Background:
Based off of my personal favorite FPSC game of all time, Pointless Assault, eternal doesn't really have a story. For those of you who didn't have the chance to play Pointless Assault created by Wizard Of Id, the premise was simple. Get through as many enemies as you can on the least amount of ammo. Eternal revisits that idea in a fairly unique setting for FPSC. Most FPSC games are set in bunkers, or in cities. I decided to set eternal from within a jail.

FPSC Version:
FPSC V1.15.003 with Project Blue Ultimate Mod 1.6d

Credits:
Thanks to the various people who have released excellent free media on the forums. With out your generosity, this game would not be possible. Special thanks to Wizard of Id for both the idea of this game and the prison bar segments used.

Screenshots:

Demo:
Download the Level 1 Demo

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2009 19:42
Screenshots are broken...

Violence isn't the answer, it's the question...
Silver Eye Productions
User Banned
Posted: 18th Oct 2009 19:47
Quote: "Screenshots are broken..."

Yep...

I GOT BALLS OF STEEL!
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2009 19:49
Fixed.

Developer's Tips:

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2009 19:51 Edited at: 18th Oct 2009 19:53
Wow, this looks terrible. Oh my god.

Just kidding.

Looking sharp, as usual.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2009 20:28
looks good- I may just have to play this.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2009 22:37
Arrggghh, I'd download, but I've got Oblivion mods backing upp my active downloads...

Damn, I'll try and get a hold of this ASAP...

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2009 23:46
I tried playing it, and overall it was really fun man. The level design was really good, the lighting was nice; appreciative change from the plethora of dark for the sake of dark kind of games now a days. And the lack of ammo, having to hunt and find it was a nice touch, kept you on your toes and not just blindly shooting up a room to kill the enemy.

With Project Blue I was looking to use iron sights at a few points during the map, but I came to find that you didn't employ the use of it. Noting wrong with that, but it might be a cool addition if you'd like to think about it. Also, haha in the first prison cell you come to, I somehow found it quite easy to get shoved under the map and die when you go up to the bed. And the hud covers up which button you're supposed to press to pick up your weapon, and open doors - the ability to pick up the gun like that was really awesome by the way! - however it just took some time to figure out which key I needed to press.

This is coming along great though, I'd really like to see more soon! Keep it up man.

Cheers

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 00:08
Thanks for the review, man. I'll really take everything you said into consideration. I'll need to look up how to make the ironsights for the 1911, unless they already have been made. As for the hud covering the other huds up, I actually didn't notice that, as I tested it without the HUD and didn't catch that... I guess I should have. I'll fix those things that you've mentioned and get started on the second level. I've got a couple idea for a total of 3 levels - the level that I've created so far, a cafeteria, and a shower room. Are there any other ideas that you'd like to see that fit in with the jail theme?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 00:34
An exercise yard? Although you'd need that new model pack though...

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 00:36
Hm. That is a good idea. Time to look through the many, many pages of the models and media threads to find someone who released a free one. I'm sure there's some released, somewhere...

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Okey, here's what I'd do

- Not enough bullets. I got everyone in 1 shot and still ran out and had to run around looking for more bullets.

- I'd put that
in the same room/outside of that room that you have to stack it in. Even better, I'd make it fall on your head so you know you can move it around and kind of get an idea of what you have to do.

- Fix the dude in the attached screen.

4 - The HUD is confusing. I thought I had that machine gun thing when all I had was the pistol =(.

- Give the player a flashlight or brighten it up.

- I didn't like how on the two floors there were those lights on the walls, it seemed a little weird.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 01:07 Edited at: 19th Oct 2009 01:08
Oh I see your point, I just checked out Cyclone's Iron Sights thread and I see there is not one for the 1911. That's a shame, if you prefer to stick with that weapon then definitely don't worry about the iron sights man.

As for a prison, yes the exercise yard would be a cool idea, and the dining hall and shower room would be good - the wonderful shower models that McCrazy generously released would be perfect! Here's the link if you hadn't seen it already -

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=157773&b=24

You might also want to consider an underground section of the prison - boiler rooms, old tunnels and maintenance areas. A workshop room might be neat, that probably wouldn't be too much of one map, but could certainly play a part in one. Also, a gallery section would be great; the large, main section of prison cells that stretch down an entire hall, and perhaps go up a floor or two, or three. You could also have an isolation cell area, a library, offices and so on. If you want outdoor areas, you could have guard's barracks and such. Hopefully these ideas help!

Cheers

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 01:16
Wow. Braden, thanks a ton for those ideas. As of right now, I'm going to work on the levels that I have planned out now, but I will be sure to head back over this way to check out your ideas more indepthly. I really like the underground section idea. There are some good models that I have that would fit with this style, and the offices would be also great with the amount of media that I have for that genre. Thanks for the input, and I will definitely be referring to your post for some inspiration.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 02:42
This looks great!

I don't have enough Hard Drive space to download something right now, but I will ASAP. Good work, the screen shots definitely show the greatness of the game!

Click the pic:
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 04:35
Thanks, Yodaman! I took into account some of Braden's comments, and I rebuilt the game with some more custom stuff. Click the download link in the first post for the newest version.

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 05:13 Edited at: 19th Oct 2009 05:14
Awesome dude, the new additions are really good. That menu screen looks professional actually, very reminiscent of a Valve game! And the new Hud is very nice; clean, subtle, does its duty. Definitely looking forward to the next level

Just a little thing I noticed as well, I'm not sure if it matters to you or not, but all the enemies reload upon spotting the player, before opening fire; for some of them, it might be nice to maintain this behavior for differentiation and a little bit of realism in a sense, but others perhaps could just be ready to shoot you as you walk into the room, to really keep you on your toes.

Here's the script for that if you're interested -

Just add that line to the beginning of an enemies script, if you're interested. That was supplied by Dar13, off an old thread.

Cheers

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 06:38
I've found a new AI script, because cover10.fpi is a little standard in my opinion, and I've added in that line to a couple of the different enemies throughout. Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm really happy with the progress on level 2. It'll be the dining area, and it's looking really sharp so far. I'll post up some screens after a while when I get the rest of the entities placed out.

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 09:22 Edited at: 19th Oct 2009 09:24
Hey there!

So, I have played your W.i.P., it's really good, but some rooms are really empty and want to be filled.
Maybe put some planks on the floor and boxes and barrels in the corners. Would look even better!
And something to the room in the second screenshot.
It looks good, but please, don't use overlays. When the overlays are on the floors texture, it don't look like they're floating, that gives more realism, in my opinion. I don't think you've seen paper floating over the floor. When yes, it was ninja paper...

For me your preview demo is a 6/10. Music and sounds are OK. The AI of the enemies, as dumb as my wardrobe.
And you could fill your rooms a bit more.

Best,
TheK

EDIT:
Ah yes, and I miss AirMod in your game!

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 17:19
TheK, thanks for the great advice. I'll certainly take a look into the AI (I said a bit earlier that it is a really basic AI script, and that I'm changing it out). As far as the overlays go, I think all that needs to be done is a simple edit to make them not float. The default height for the overlay is just a little bit off of the ground. I can mess with it to get it just right.
And yes, some of the rooms are a bit empty, but the framerate on my laptop is already at 28-32 with Project Blue, so if I add more clutter, the framerate would probably drop significantly. I'll see what I can do, however.
Thanks again for the great advice on what to fix.

@Everyone, I'm nearly done with level 2. I have to add in the enemies and the weapons, but aside from that, it's finished. I'll touch up the two levels and then get started on levels 3 and 4. Three will be an underground area, as Braden suggested, and will lead into four, which is the showers, etc.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 18:23
Not a bad demo. Continue working on it and keep us updated!

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 18:42
Thanks Keith. I'll be working on the next couple levels as soon as I get a chance, and I'll be sure to post up updates as soon as possible.

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2009 01:54
The progress you're working on sounds good man, I'm looking forward to the next demo release. Very interested to see how the prison will expand

Cheers

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2009 01:28
Update: New screens of level 2!

Also, I'm looking for a couple of people to test out the next couple of levels. Braden, because of the great feedback that I've gotten from you, I'd like you to be one of those. I could use probably one or two more. Anyone else interested?

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2009 02:44
For sure man, just throw me an email when you've got something you want me to test, run through or even just take a quick look over. The new shots look great by the way, I really love the atmosphere in the dining hall. Looking forward to seeing more of that underground area though!

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2009 03:26
Alright. Great. Expect an email within an hour with the first beta. My upload speed suddenly plummeted and it won't seem to go up, so as soon as it's up, I'll send it over.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2009 14:35 Edited at: 21st Oct 2009 18:21
Gunn3r@

i would love to test this out, it i can drop me an email:
EDIT:recieved beta

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good. nice style u always had.
U know I have always liked to help people, so I am happy to assist in testing for you.

demo released.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2009 16:56
I'd like to test them out.
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2009 17:15
Sent to all 3 of you. Thanks for participating! Hopefully you like what you see. I've already got some great feedback from Braden on the beta, and I really like what he suggested, so I'll go ahead and make those fixes before I continue on level 3 (which is looking really cool, already. It's easily my favorite so far)

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2009 18:26
gunn3r@

i haved recieved the beta, but wanted to know do you want feedback posted on here, or by email?

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2009 18:31
By email would be great. That way it still matches up with the license. I'm trying to keep the game a surprise for the non-beta testers.

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2009 23:50
I played the demo, and the environment was fantastic, yet gameplay was very hard. I kept dying and getting game overs, but maybe I just stink. Nice work, it turned out even better once I played it.

I've seen it all. Except for myself ever not failing at something.
TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 17:35
Mmhhh... I really love the wall texture in the second screenshot.

Errr... Ah yes! Good entity placement. Your lamps maybe need an illuminationmap.

Best,
TheK

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 17:49
Illumination mapping on lights is a big one for me.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 19:51
Alright. I'll get to work on creating illumination maps for my segments. How exactly is that done? I tried looking up a tutorial or something on how to do it, and couldn't find anything.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 21:13
Make a black and white texture for the segment, (it can be done on entities too btw), lighter areas of the texture will be lighter in the game, even in darkness. You just need to apply the effectbank/illuminationmap/illuminationmap.fx in the segment's .fps file...

After that, save the illumination map as TEXNAME_I.dds, e.g., if you're texture is Concrete_D2.dds (the diffuse texture must be _D2 for it to work), and it should work great...

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2009 02:41
Some good and bad news - the first level became corrupted, and I can't open it without FPSC crashing. That's both good and bad because it allows me to remake the level in a much better fashion, but it's obviously bad, because I lost that entire level. The new level is coming along a little bit slower, but I like it a great deal more. After a couple retextures, and adding the illumination maps to the lights, I have a new WIP screen. I realize that the screen is fairly empty, but I wanted to show the new lighting and the retexture.

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2009 03:23
Hey man sorry to hear about your first level, it's always harsh when that kind of stuff happens. The new version looks great so far though, in final stages with entities and all, I think it's going to look wicked! Seems to have a darker, more menacing tone to it. Keep it up man, still looking forward to beta tests and all.

Cheers

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 24th Oct 2009 06:25
The first of the lel2 screen reminds me of the (2nd?) lel of COD2 ( a good thing)

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2009 07:16
Some new screens of the first level remake:

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2009 11:37
Not bad, I like the textures. But your rooms are too empty. Put planks on the floor, boxes and barrels into the corners. It just looks sterile.
You could remove the shadow of the hanging lamps. Just put the light sources down, or make them smaller, but use 4 or 5 light sources for 1 lamp.

Only some small tips.

Best,
TheK

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2009 14:42
Much better with the lights. A common mistake is not to tweak the light's position, so it's actuall resting on the wall....not hoevering in front of it. Try making the maps for the hanging lights as well.

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
I actually like it the way it is, it seems really eerie.
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2009 01:46
Here's a new screen for you. It's a bit more populated than the other screens of the new first level. After getting this hallway done, I'll finish up the rest of the level. I may remake the second level as well, because of this new style.

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2009 05:16
No way man, this is incredible, it's coming along fantastically and I'm definitely looking forward to trying out that map. I can only imagine what you have in store for the rest of it, and the rest of the game for that matter! If you keep that kind of detail and atmosphere up.

Cheers

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2009 06:21
Thanks for the encouragement, Braden. I'm putting everything I've got into this map, and I'm really likin' the results I'm getting from it. I'm nearly done with the entity placement, so I have the weapon/health placement and then the enemy placement before the beta test, but I'll be sure to send it your way as soon as I get everything going.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2009 07:12
could use some supports or pillars holding up that gantry. otherwise, nice looking.
Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2009 10:17
Looks good. I made some old buffet tables if you still need them http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=159659&b=24&p=0

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2009 18:02
I'm guessing you made most textures used here? Because they look great.

I've seen it all. Except for myself ever not failing at something.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 06:44:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 06:44:56