Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Desert Camo (Small Details)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2009 23:55 Edited at: 27th Nov 2009 23:56
I've got a few camo patterns I made in GIMP, took all of 5 minutes to do using bovination plugin. However I am wondering if there is a way to have GIMP make smaller details on the camo, or am I gonna have to do it manually? Keep in mind that I don't know how to use art programs unless its to draw lines and whatnot.

This is similar to what I'm looking for (the little tan & black spots):

Keep your Hope & Change to yourself, I choose Liberty! Stop by for a chat! [IXE]Nateholio on irc.maxgaming.net:6667 #GarageGames
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 28th Nov 2009 00:31
Dude, thats cool, can I use it?

Sigh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2009 00:39
That's not a texture, it's a picture of a piece of fabric I found on the internets.

Keep your Hope & Change to yourself, I choose Liberty! Stop by for a chat! [IXE]Nateholio on irc.maxgaming.net:6667 #GarageGames
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2009 02:16
Might trying using the same plugin on a larger image to get the darker black spots, with a pink background (so you can easily select by color and delete everything but the black spots). Then copy and paste into your original image, downsize to about the size you want the black dots to be, then copy and paste again, make them a tad smaller, and recolor to bright tan

If you can at all understand my rambling...
PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 19:01 Edited at: 31st Dec 2009 19:04
Quote: "That's not a texture, it's a picture of a piece of fabric I found on the internets."

EDIT: Just read your first post...

Quote: "make smaller details on the camo, or am I gonna have to do it manually?"

I used to use Gimp, I use Photoshop now, I think you could first to Filter, Render, Clouds, Plasma. Then reduce the saturation all the way... Then make a new layer with the bovination tool or whatever to create the camo on top of the clouds. That's the only non-manual way, you could manually go in and use the dodge/burn and paint tool with low opacities to add extra detail

EDIT2: And then if you wanted it to look like cloth, I think there is a filter called 'clothify'.

-PwP

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 20:03 Edited at: 31st Dec 2009 20:05
Quote: "I use Photoshop now, I think you could first to Filter, Render, Clouds, Plasma. Then reduce the saturation all the way... Then make a new layer with the bovination tool or whatever to create the camo on top of the clouds. That's the only non-manual way, you could manually go in and use the dodge/burn and paint tool with low opacities to add extra detail"

Photoshop..After making clouds....Image/Adjustments/Threshhold, can be used to make camouflage patterns. Make a few on different layers, and then you get a great effect like on my ship in my siggy.

gbark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 06:38
I don't have Gimp (I use Paintshop Pro), but for things like the cloth details, there are a few options.

One way would be to find a grayscale cloth detail texture (google image a picture of a close up of a section of cloth, crop it, grayscale it, play with the contrast until you get strong whites and blacks -- or make your own from scratch), paste a new layer over your camo, fill the layer with your cloth detail, then play around with the blend mode for that layer. In particular, I would first try the "burn" blend mode with a low opacity, but go through all of them and see what looks good.

Pretty much I'd just play around with layers and blend modes. You'd be surprised, for example, how much detail a simple gradient can add once you've learned how to use different blend modes and drawing techniques.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2010 17:23
Quote: "Photoshop..After making clouds....Image/Adjustments/Threshhold, can be used to make camouflage patterns. Make a few on different layers, and then you get a great effect like on my ship in my siggy."

If you render the clouds at a size of a power of 2 then it will always tile. (64,128,256,512,1024)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:53:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:53:22