Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / DNG - Space Invaders

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
the dll is for accessing the names of the keys (so that each one doesn't have to be hard coded). Some still do because it only returns MOST of the keys (arrow keys and a few others are missing).

The keybind for esc has been put in (not forgetting the DISABLE ESCAPEKEY command at the beginning) so that esc will open the menu. I believe it is key 1.

Special Note: My keyboard is on a laptop and is prone to weird scancode responses (on account of a Fn key that messes with some things) so some verification of the system would be nice. You can change the key selected by clicking on the button name and it will pop up and prompt you for the new key.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Should we have the menus in this project be mouse based rather than using arrow keys? Would make it less complicated, what if you cannot even navigate to the keybind options?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Would make it less complicated, what if you cannot even navigate to the keybind options?"

What do you mean? I'm not against mouse control, but I am curious what would stop you from getting there. The defaults are there at the start (it might be a good idea to have a reset to default option).

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2011 04:29 Edited at: 13th Jan 2011 04:29
Updates:

I worked up a few graphics and menus and combined it with BN2's codes.

- KeyBind Now works properly, can modify in the option and it's saved automatically.
- Volume control is implemented but no actual sound to play yet lol.

Screen shots of the menu gui.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Before I forget here is the current project zip.

Attachments

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2011 19:54 Edited at: 13th Jan 2011 20:07
Quote: "Should we have the menus in this project be mouse based rather than using arrow keys? Would make it less complicated, what if you cannot even navigate to the keybind options?"

I'm assuming BN2's system has default values so that shouldn't be a problem.

Quote: "I find the 2 letter acronym a bit hard for my eyes, may I use..."

The idea behind naming comments was to show who has added what and make it easy to find all one person's comments by searching their name/acronym followed by a colon; The 2-letter acronym was just my way of making it quicker to add when writing comments, but if you prefer to use your full name that's fine. Just make sure you put a colon after your name, and delete your acronym from the name list if you post any updates .

Everyone please try to remember to put your name/acronym at the start of your comments - I forgot a few times and had to go back and add it on a couple of comments and it was my idea! - There are a few bits of code that I wanted to ask questions about but I had no idea who wrote the code, so this system should help.

I've just noticed there's another page on this thread!

[edit]
Ah I was right about BN2's defaults.
Good work Ashingda, are those just images or have you implemented the menus? I would be impressed because I don't think those menus exist yet

Is it a good idea to make a text file that states that DNG Space is the main program file and list all function and subroutine names under the title of each file? If this is a good idea I will do it as I'm not quite up to speed with what's going on yet, you lot get on with the proper work lol
I'm at home this weekend so it will be a good chance to catch up.

We have 18 days remaining to release an alpha version of the game!

@Eminent and AJAtom, are you lurking around the boards? It would be great if you want to rejoin the team. If Shadow is still around then he is a stealthy fellow because I haven't seen him post in months.

Everything worthwhile requires effort.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2011 00:24 Edited at: 14th Jan 2011 00:26
Quote: "have you implemented the menus?"

Yes those are already in the project and working, notice those were screen shots . The zip file is right above your post.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
How should we do the different levels? Just up the Faces, make them shoot more often, move them faster, etc?

I saw an easy method of applying the shield, will probably try that.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " How should we do the different levels? Just up the Faces, make them shoot more often, move them faster, etc?"

Probably up the difficulty. By that I mean: more faces and/or harder faces and/or harder formation. The best way would probably find a way to calculate a level's difficulty and solve backwards to figure things out (a form of procedural generation).

So for instance:
Difficulty=3*(#ofLevel3Faces)*(d3)+2*(#ofLevel2Faces)*(1/d2)+(#ofLevel1Faces)

where:
d2=the density of level 2 aliens (lvl2aliens/totalAliens)
d3=the density of level 3 aliens (lvl3aliens/totalAliens)

A suggestion. The idea here is that 20 lvl 1 aliens could get harder by the next level having 19 lvl 1 aliens and 1 lvl 2 alien.

Alternatively it could all be pre-made.

Great Quote:
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2011 22:54
I have to move house so I might not be able to give as much time to this project as I would like for the next month

I will still try to visit the thread at least, I just hope I find somewhere quickly and get back on track.

How confident is everyone that we can release some sort of version of the game by the 31st?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Obese, since you re-appeared, I haven't been really following where we are at.

If you give me a zip of the most recent builds and a quick rundown of where we are at, I can take over till you're settled.

Dunno about the 31st though, might have to burn some midnight oil to pull that one off.

Realistically, I think we could pull it off in that amount of time, but we will need people who are really dedicated, can work on it every day (not all day) till then, and post frequently so that we can manage things.

Great Quote:
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2011 00:08
You've been busy Ashingda!

Here is the code, it is Ashingdas version, I've just changed a few comments and the title to include the version number.

I realized that we can't use dates for versioning because we live all over the planet and times and dates are different. So instead we will simply use one number and increase it every time we upload a new version. Since we're in the alpha stage we'll also put an "a" after the version number in the title.

Attachments

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, I will try to get an idea of where we are at by the end of the weekend. Who all can dedicate time here to finish this?

I have begun working on a procedural generation routine for the alien waves (super alpha stages but it has promise).

So everyone, sound off! If you're working on something now, say so. Otherwise I may accidentally give someone the same job to do.

Great Quote:
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I have time this weekend.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for taking a while to get back to you guys, had a test thrown at me that I had to study all weekend for.

Anyway, I managed to pull together a rough procedural generation routine for the aliens. It's not super great, but should provide waves of aliens that grow steadily harder (It looked like it would last about 250 waves before level 1 aliens were completely gone from the group, so it might need some tweeking)

Great Quote:
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2011 23:08
I have been very quiet anyway but I am now declaring myself out of action.
I am looking for a new house and we are in a very busy period at work. I wont be able to help for a while, maybe even until the end of march.

I haven't forgotten about DarkNOOBS but I will try to be more organised and make sure I have enough spare time before I start a project again.
I hope you can continue without me as, you had been anyway much of the time.
If the Space Invaders project dies I will be back to resurrect it, it will get finished.

I haven't run this project as well as I'd have liked, the fact it has gotten to the stage it is currently at is down to the great help of BN2 and Ashingda.
Daygamer is the only newb to have remained dedicated to the project, even through my quiet periods, he deserves a lot of credit for that and has already taken much on board and is learning fast.

Good luck, I will be back...

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2011 07:03
Just a suggestion, a good way to up the difficulty might be to just increase the movement speed of the invaders, or otherwise make them move to the player ship faster.

Look at your sig. Now look at mine. Now look at your sig. Now look at mine. Now look at your sig. Now BACK TO MINE.
Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2011 19:04
@Obese, No problem. We'll see what we can get done before you get back.

yrotate when you can spin?
God Bless!
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2011 23:55 Edited at: 26th Feb 2011 13:11
POST EDIT: Post removed by user.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2011 23:22 Edited at: 16th Apr 2011 06:01
Update:
- Added a DARK NOOBs intro.
- Added explosion effect when enemy gets killed
- Added lots of sound effects.
- Fixed enemy shifting left and right, for example if there's only 1 enemy left it will move all the way to the other side of the screen before changing direction.

Unfortunately the file size has increased a lot because of the music files.

Attachments

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2011 06:00 Edited at: 16th Apr 2011 06:01
Updates:
- Added scoring HUD
- Added shield barriers
- Added the stage handler

Modified the music files and the file size is smaller now.

Attachments

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2011 19:39
You're doing well with this Ashingda , I can't help right now but I've been popping now and then.
Since you have been the main coder on this recently you know the project better than I do, is there anything you'd like me to take care of when I get the time?

Be good.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
The game is nearly finished.

Things left to do:
- Ship collision with enemy bullets.
- Credit routine and data.
- Game Over Routine. The life HUD isn't done yet.
- Ship dying animation.
- Changing faces based on difficulty or stage level.

I think we're skipping the mothership. Take your pick when you have time .

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 03:17 Edited at: 20th Apr 2011 03:36
I've been re-familiarising myself with the code. I have meddled with the structure a bit, sorry if this throws you off at first but I think it will help keep things better organized. The main file is now called main.dba, the notes in main.dba explain the changes I've made.

I've noticed the hexadecode() function floating around in a few files, I've copied it to the functions file, can it be removed from the other files now? I'm unfamiliar with how DBP will react to that so I was not bold enough to remove it myself.

I've made a few small edits and corrections here and there but nothing major.

When I do some proper coding I think I will take on the player lives part thanks.

Daygamer, AJAtom and Eminent, if you're out there it would be great to have you back to help finish this.

Be good.
Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 03:53
Yea!!! Awesome to have you back, Obese! Ironically, I'm moving in 2 weeks, so I may be a little more busy than usually, but I'm excited to try to finally finish this project. I'm ready for a job whenever you've got one.

God Bless!
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 01:30
Oops I forgot to attach the files

Be good.

Attachments

Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2011 06:13
I like it! great to see this program so complete

God Bless!
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2011 17:01
Hi guys, sorry I haven't posted in a while, my windows destroyed itself so now I'm just running linux and can't use DB
I'm pretty confident with DB anyway so I think I can still help.

Your memory has been erased by a mod - Your new name is Brian.
Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2011 18:42
@Obese, So we need to make the player die when invaders reach the bottom and when the player gets hit by a bullet too.

There's got to be a few other things to do?

(You're signature text made me bust a gut, haha. Mods are so powerful!!!!!)

God Bless!
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2011 01:26 Edited at: 10th Jun 2011 03:46
Has anyone done any work on this lately?
I've been getting to grips with the code, and doing a bit of tidying here and there (of the code, my room is still a tip!)
I don't have a windows distro to use DB on at the moment so I'm blind coding, but I suppose that's how they did it in the old days so I shouldn't complain. Here are the files as of today.

Attachments

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 03:46 Edited at: 10th Jun 2011 18:30
I've done a lot more editing. I'm finding it really hard to follow this code, it's gotten really messy. I've been sorting a lot of things out but have only the bare bones of the lives and game over routine that I'm adding.
I don't understand the gamephase flag, what are the phases?
I have created two new files:
project doc.txt - Is where all the project information and news is kept (This has been removed from main.dba). Please read this on every version before doing anything, there may be important information you need to know.
glossary.txt - Lists and explains the usage of all variables, constants, arrays, etc. (what is the collective term? User defined data structures?) It's proving very useful already and I think I will make this compulsory on future DNG projects. Please explain gamephase in there if you have the time Ash.

I may moan about the code but I am glad that you all pressed on without me and got something out there. If it wasn't for your efforts we wouldn't have been mentioned in the newsletter.

dngsi-10-06-11.zip

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 00:05 Edited at: 1st Aug 2011 02:33
><
--

-------------------SIG---------------------------------

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:19:14
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:19:14