Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Changing colors question.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2010 10:07
I have a grass texture I made in paint, and I want to change the green to blue, which program would I need to do this? Like say in something like:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=167483&b=4

His blue camo could have just been the green re-colored blueish.
Is there a way to do this without having to change EVERY little color or redoing it?

I want coke, not Pepsi!
vortech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2010 13:13
Make image black and white. then create blue layer over it and change opacity.

Check for pure horror.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2010 16:43
Use Paint.net. It is free and you can change the hue and saturation with it easily.

Link:

http://www.getpaint.net/

So many games to code.......so little time.
CocaCola
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2010 22:00
Never mind, you gave me the idea LBFN and i used microsoft picture manager to change the colors, thanks

I want coke, not Pepsi!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2010 17:19
You could make it grey, then in DBPro, change the colour of the sprite diffuse, meaning you could have it any colour while only using 1 image. That's if your using sprites of course - but it's worth remembering all the stuff sprites can do in these cases.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 16:04
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 01:37
if you did a texture in paint... (im assuming hand drawn with a limited number of colors???) you can use the eraser tool as a color replacer.... use the eye droper to select the color to be replaced and then the color to replace it with and use the eraser tool with right click... it selectively replaces the color. If its an edited photo this wont work because your working with far too many colors to be effective. Another thing you can do in somehting like photoshop or in gimp is reduce the colors by translating format to indexed. (I belive in gimp its in (image?? something idk off hand -> use indexed color pal something... anyway...) and edit your colors from there. Just some thoughts. Using indexed image types will allow you to modify color schemes in game as well... If your creating sprites: Create your first sprite and then save the color index for that sprite. All the following images in this sprite can have this index aplied assuming that they use the same colors. (better yet create your sprites on a sheet so that they automatically follow the same color index.) Then all you have to do is modify the index for the images in your code and have your program selectively pick and replace colors from the index. This used to be pretty common practice back in say... the street fighter days and such. This allowed designers to create different color schemes without having to create new image sets... kind of important for saving memory when your using the not so powerful equiptment of back in the day.... If your at all unclear about what im talking about i can explain more in detail once i have a chance to sit down in front of my computer. Anywhoo hope some of that helped.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2011 16:29
Find a graphics editor and adjust the hue.

"Only the educated are free" ~Epictetus
"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." ~Einstein
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
You can check out gimp.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:32:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:32:02