Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / How to create cutters

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2010 17:53
As the title says how to create cutters. I have meshes for them but no Idea how to make them fpsc ready.

Check for pure horror.
And Now with real demo.
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2010 19:07
What are Cutters ?? Do you mean how to make a mesh cut another mesh, like CSG?

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
vortech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2010 19:26
Yep.

Check for pure horror.
And Now with real demo.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2010 20:16
I would suggest taking a look at a window segment as that it pretty much all a cutter (punch) is, just without the entity part (i.e. the glass in this case).

The only bits you need to make a cutter is the punch mesh (that you have) and a nothing mesh to use as your frame (I just use a single polygon mesh scaled super small and placed at 0,0 just under the height of a segment floor.

You can also use the same as the window segment and add a filler entity to your punch like bars/repaired bricks to fill in the hole.

One tip though and many go wrong with this bit. Make sure you UV Map the punch mesh to the scale of a 100wx100h units segment wall as that UV Mapping will be used on the hole that is cut out. Also most times you will cut through 2x 5 units walls, so make the punch mesh deeper than 10 units and UV Map accordingly.

Zwarte Piet
Years of Service
User Offline
@nbt I also wondered about cutters. That is a great description almost a tutorial. Thank You

"I would rather make a bad model, instead of pirate a great one" MY DAD "Now let's Make some Models"
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2010 03:41
Your welcome little muppet dude

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2010 03:45
Quote: "Your welcome little muppet dude"

Had a good giggle at that!

raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2010 04:59
He looks like a "Fraggle" from fraggle rock. I don't know if I spelled that right.
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2010 05:49
could we not just load the punch like a window or something and change the way it looks move faces around etc and reload it back into fpsc?

======================================

GreenDixy Productions http://GreenDixy.Com
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2010 13:53
Quote: "could we not just load the punch like a window or something and change the way it looks move faces around etc and reload it back into fpsc?"

Sure, but you still need to make a simple mesh to replace the window frame part of the segment and remove the glass part (the entity) and then edit the punch section in the .fps so it becomes part 1 instead of part 2, along with updating the Partmax = 2 to 1 etc.

Unless that is you still want the window frame and glass to appear inside your new hole

vortech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2010 15:12
Where do I need frames if they are just cracks and exploded walls?
Or is that only for windows and doors.

Check for pure horror.
And Now with real demo.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2010 18:50
You need to supply at least one solid mesh to satisfy the segment rule (or whatever it is called), as the punch is not so much a mesh, but a template to cut a hole in an existing segment.

If you ever take a look at a hole punch fps (or a door window etc) you will see the difference in the Partmax and the Lastmeshmax which tells the engine that this segment only has 2 (or more) parts, but only part 0 (this is part 1 as we count from zero) is the actual segment mesh. It's just the way segments work is all.

Zwarte Piet
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Nbt Have you thought of making a tutorial on cutters? You sure know your stuff.

"I would rather make a bad model, instead of pirate a great one" MY DAD "Now let's Make some Models"
vortech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2010 12:39
ok.

Check for pure horror.
And Now with real demo.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 20:19:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 20:19:18