Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / New User Introduction

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2011 10:27
My wife and I recently took an interest in DarkBasic Pro; we want to use it to create games based on our comic strips. We're both artists and animators, and we've been wanting to get into game development for some time now. We're familiar with basic programming (though it's been years) and we have a little scripting experience, so DBP looks like a good gateway for us.

A large part of our decision to buy into DBP has to do with this very active forum community. I've already learned a lot just from a couple hours of browsing here.

I'll probably go back into 'lurk mode' for a few weeks while I learn the basics of using DBP but I wanted to say hi first. Looking forward to participating in, learning from, and hopefully contributing to these forums soon.

Cheers!

Greenlaw

Greenlaw
Artist-Partner | Little Green Dog | www.littlegreendog.com
Senior Digital Artist | Rhythm & Hues Studios | www.rhythm.com
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2011 15:36
Welcome to the club!

Can't wait to see your artwork and what games you come up with.

You'll get lots of help here, just ask.

Greenlaw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2011 22:06
Thanks baxslash!

I plowed through some of the beginner tutorials last night and peeked ahead at the more advanced stuff. I'm very impressed with DBP! This kit seems very well thought out and fairly easy to follow (even for me!)

A technical aspect of our current art project may be of interest here: my wife and I have been experimenting with iPi Studio for a couple of years now. This is a inexpensive markerless mocap system that works with six Playstation 3 Eye cameras and a desktop PC. We're currently using it to animate our second short film and getting very good results. (Blog entry here if you're curious: What's the Scoop on 'Poop'?)

Anyway, once we get done wtih the film project, we're planning to use this system to create character animation for a DBP game. This will be mostly new territory for us, so you can expect me to post a lot of questions along the way. (Hope we don't get too annoying.)

If all goes well, I'll be sure to create an iPi-to-DBP tutorial and share it here.

Greenlaw

Greenlaw
Artist-Partner | Little Green Dog | www.littlegreendog.com
Senior Digital Artist | Rhythm & Hues Studios | www.rhythm.com
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 09:45
Markerless motion capture... cool. I look forward to seeing how you get on!

Kamakazi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 09:55
From one newbie to another...Welcome! Even if my status says I joined in 2009, I've only recently found time to learn DBPRO. Can't wait to see what a husband and wife team can come up with!
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2011 14:54
Been browsing around a bit through your links. I'm impressed!

Welcome on board.

Regards Sph!nx
http://www.mental-image.net
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2011 23:46
Welcome to the forums! I'll be looking forward to seeing how that motion capture system works out...

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 09:05
Your wife, and yourself... write comics, want to get into games development...

Dude, you are living the dream!

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.

http://dbprohelp.wikia.com/wiki/DarkBASIC_Professional_Help_Wiki

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:28:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:28:55