Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 13:45
I thought it wasn't.

I'll remember to remove my armour before getting drunk next time . But first I need to find a town and the nearest town that I know of is so far away it's going to take me several real hours of plodding through the wilderness to reach it. But I'll do it unless I stumble across another one first.

At the moment I'm hoping to find somewhere to sell all my junk so I'm avoiding dungeons unless I need a killing fix.

Do the books have any useful purpose at the moment? I have dozens.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 19:42
Quote: " After getting drunk in the town inn I woke in the middle of nowhere minus all my armour! "

Quote: "That's actually not a bug lol"

I'm sure most of us have been there.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 20:18 Edited at: 1st Jan 2013 09:39
CumQUAT and his team DID say they were aiming for real depth in game play experience...

Perhaps they have gone so far as to generate randomised procedurally generated hangovers with day-after syndrome..... you can take procedural generation too far.

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 22:49
Quote: "you can take pro[c]edural generation too far."

Can you?
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 03:52
Actually, you're right Duffer. The effects of getting drunk are generated by the game. There's a whole swathe of things for the game to choose from. Sometimes you'll be naked, sometimes you'll have no pants, sometimes you'll have less or more money, sometimes you'll lose some of your stuff, sometimes you'll GAIN stuff.

I once woke up 200 miles away from where I'd started, buck naked with nothing in my inventory but 12 potted plants and a dead pigeon.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 09:41
"Can you?" - apparently not...

@ CumQUAT,

"I once woke up 200 miles away from where I'd started, buck naked with nothing in my inventory but 12 potted plants and a dead pigeon."

... should be somewhere prominent on the main Malevolence webpage....

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 12:11
Ahahaha yes, people have been having a lot of fun with that feature in the beta.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 12:13
I think it's a brilliant feature. After a random jump in an infinite world you effectively start a new game with some of your past gains intact. The only real problem is that it can take a long time to find somewhere interesting or useful (other than dungeons that is - there are plenty of those). It took me a few hours of searching to find a new town - but they do exist somewhere.

With that in mind it might be worth tweaking the randomness so you don't land too far from a town - no more than a day's walk say. Assuming it's possible without too much extra coding of course.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 14:14
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaactually, we have planned a procedural signpost system. Signposts will be about 50x more common than towns themselves, so you'll get an idea of where to go!

It's not implemented just yet, but it's on the to-do list!

If you end up in a desert though, you're in trouble! Deserts are always bleak!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 14:35
I think that's where I landed - after hours of trudging I eventually found a forested/grassy area and a town .

Looking forward to the next update.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 15:54
Quite soon! Quite soon!

Keep an eye on the known issues list to see what we've been getting done!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 18:23
Will do.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 15:26
If you want to get Malevolence at 20% off the regular price, now's the time to do it! We're moving into open beta this weekend, and everyone will be able to start playing it! But once we go live, the price will be going back up to full, so get in now if you want to!

http://www.malevolencegame.com/buythegame.html

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 06:21
Oh hai! We're live You can get the game (and yes it comes with a demo mode) from our main site here:

http://www.malevolencegame.com/

Or, if you prefer it, we've set up a torrent which you can get here:

http://www.malevolencegame.com/MALEVOLENCE.RAR.torrent

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 09:07
@ CumQuat,

Excellent!

I purchased the Deluxe version from your site a couple of months ago.... How do I get that now?

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 10:40
You just download the game like normal, and when you first run it, punch in your serial key and email in the registration box to activate the full version

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2013 14:05 Edited at: 6th Feb 2013 21:51
I watched some "let's plays" and noticed the names are... interesting. This inspired me to write a lightweight name generator, feel free to use it as a place-holder if you like until you develop your own more.

Is the beta free?

^ That's what she said.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2013 17:34
Downloaded the demo I kind of like it, though I do need to explore some more before I give my final verdict.

I did notice my laptop doesn't like the shaders and had lots of visual trouble, but when I turned off post-processing and set the bloom to 0 they were mostly gone. I am running a NVidia GeForce 9500M GS. Will there be an option to completely kill shader effects for us with inferior technology?

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 09:44
@OBese87 - Hello! The names in the game are from the game's in-game language, which is why they are a bit foreign sounding The beta has a free demo mode which is the full game, but with no ability to save.

@Seppuki Arts - Yes indeed! We have on our to do list a function to run the game with zero shaders. It'll take about a week to do, though, and people are asking us to focus on bug fixes first

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 15:15
Quote: "@Seppuki Arts - Yes indeed! We have on our to do list a function to run the game with zero shaders. It'll take about a week to do, though, and people are asking us to focus on bug fixes first "

Fairplay my man, well bug fixes are important. I know it's beta, but looking forward to the final release. It's just about playable on this system, but glad to hear it's on your to-do list, it'll definitely help those who can't display the shaders properly.

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2013 08:36
Yeah, to be honest I really like the way the game looks without shaders but we had to appease the people at least a little bit haha

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2013 20:30 Edited at: 11th Feb 2013 20:58
Hi CumQuaT,

Have downloaded the file and registered with my deluxe version key on my Windows Vista 32 bit computer (4gb, Geforce GTX 460).

Got through to character creation and name and then went for next - crashed out to desktop. Did it everytime.

I have also downloaded it to my Laptop (Windows 7 64bit, 8gb, Geoforce ION2/Optima) and will try and trial it on that tomorrow...

[edit]

Not sure if it's relevant but it didnt install the Microsoft C++ 2010 because a more recent version was already installed...

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 11:29
Was there any error message that came up?

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 14:47
No error message. That being said, I re-installed on my Windows Vista desktop and it now works.

However, I get a strange matt shifting effect for the screen of the play area on the laptop with Windows 7 and Nvidia ION2/Optimus...

Still one out of two is a start...

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2013 11:28
Try disabling Post Processing and setting bloom to zero we've had some people have that issue and that's always fixed it

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2013 13:34 Edited at: 16th Feb 2013 14:15
@ CumQuat,

Got it working now on both specifications. Thanks.

Am I right in thinking I can't save my game positions though (I've purchased the deluxe and entered the registration key when registering etc)???

[edit]

Stupid question - figured out how to save. Would be great if you could have more than one save slot per character...

Another question - if we save now, can we load in a later version?

Also, when naming your character, you have to push CapLocks for capital letters but Shiftkey and letter does not work?

Also, on world map there appears to be a divisible line through the work towards the bottom of the map?

That's some feedback for now - aside from that, a truly fantastic achievement in DBPro/GDK!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2013 15:08
Answer time!!!

- You'll be able to load your game into later versions 90% of the time, but every so often an update will require a new save format. I try and minimize this happening as much as possible, and I'll always give advanced warning that it'll happen via Facebook and our Forum announcements section.

- All of the text in Malevolence is actually non-case-sensitive, so it doesn't matter. If you're still seeing capital letters it means the fonts haven't installed properly. Go into the SCRIPTS folder and right-click on each of the .TTF files and select INSTALL

- The world map segments have boundaries that you have to cross to get to the next segment. This happens because it's impossible to create an infinite sized fractal map. When you're actually walking across that gap, you won't notice it.

You can keep an eye on what we're working on and bugs that we know about here.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2013 15:46
@ CumQuaT,

What's the best way to get more spells (in addition to minor heal) - the first town I've gone in to the magicians guild and the magic shoppe are both closed, seemingly all the time?

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2013 07:22
Yep, remember that development log I linked in my last response? Best to have a read of that, as it says what's still being worked on. The guilds and magic shop are on that list.

As for spells, you need to find them in loot. There's only a handful in the game at the moment, but the new procedural magic system is one of the next things we're putting in

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2013 10:24 Edited at: 17th Feb 2013 10:25
I'm getting post rendering shader issues. Running the latest drivers; pixel shader version 3. GeForce 210, 1GB DDR RAM. It appears to be light scattering issues, but that is a wild guess.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2013 13:58
Hey Chris,

We're finding that certain video cards cause issues with the shaders we use in DarkBasic... In the config menu in the launcher, try disabling Post Processing and setting Bloom to 0

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2013 14:42
Will do

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2013 04:57
Let me know if it works ok for you

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2013 20:45
OK I used the configuration screen and resolved the problem.

It was not the post processing or bloom in my case; switching them off did not make a difference on here. Alpha level and shadows seemed to make get rid of the problem, but obviously reduces the visual quality.

When I get some time I will try to pin point the cause. Most likely my GPU does not like certain shader functions.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2013 20:04 Edited at: 20th Feb 2013 20:10
I'm studying procedural generation at the moment so this is of particular interest to me.

Here are my notes from trying the demo (sorry if I repeat what others have said or bring up issues you're already working on):
* The compass seems totally useless, why not just put NESW on the map?
* There is no way of telling the time, is this intentional (maybe replace the compass with some time-telling device)?
* The mouse doesn't seem to do much outside of huds, could interactions be done with the keyboard (this would be a preferable option for me) or is there some mouse-specific control I'm missing here?
* The mouse click sound doesn't make it clear if the action is invalid or not.
* When talking to someone the text creeps over the bottom of the text frame.
* When asking about a location that is nearby I get the response "[whatever the start is...] to the of where we are."
* When asking a person about themselves they say they've never heard of them.
* The text parser is very specific, eg I asked for the "inn" and it was not understood, only "tavern" is accepted (despite this particular tavern having "inn" in its title).
* NPC responses are ambiguous as to whether the question was understood and the response is negative or the term is not recognised at all. eg asking for the "inn" got a reply that said there wasn't one in this town, but there was! It was just the term "inn" had not been recognised, this is not good.
* NPC names are too random, there seem to be very few rules governing their generation leading to unpronounceable and easily forgotten names.
* It would be useful to have a chat log and/or a list of all the names of places and people we've met or heard about.
* There is nothing to do between towns/dungeons.
* I found a lighthouse-type tower that I clipped through one of the walls.
* Why are citizens out all night?
* If a person has no news it might be nice to give some meaningless chat or gossip, eg "It's my niece's birthday tomorrow." "The price of beer's gone up; must be having shortages again." instead of a curt negative response.
* I can't tell if WAIT actually does anything.
* Will there be ing-game help and the ability to rebind keys in future?

Getting drunk is funny: I woke up outside the town sans trousers with a lump of troll ear hair and a note on fish pickling. Must have been an interesting night. I think the "get drunk" idea is a perfect illustration of the potential this project has: it just takes a few random items to pique the player's imagination and you can't help thinking up a story to explain how you ended up with these strange objects. It's all about creating unique stories.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2013 07:24
Quote: "There is no way of telling the time,"

press T

and speaking of, I found that hour 12 displays as the '12nd' rather than '12th'

In the king of kings book, 'defences' should be 'defenses'

Quote: " There is nothing to do between towns/dungeons."

agreed, I'd expect to find random camps, isolated farms/homesteads, overworld combat encounters and the like.

After playing about an hour and a half, I actually never did come across a town, though I did find 4 or 5 dungeons.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2013 17:17
@Ortu
Ah okay I will try "T".

Quote: "In the king of kings book, 'defences' should be 'defenses'"

The English spelling is "defences".

Quote: "I found that hour 12 displays as the '12nd' rather than '12th'"

The English spelling is "12nd"... nah just kidding!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2013 10:06
There's actually lots of things to do in the countrysides between dungeons! You've just gotta know where to look. There are hidden stashes of loot, hollow tree stumps, ruins hidden at the bottoms of lakes...

But it'll increase even further as the beta continues we're putting in an alchemy section, so you'll be able to harvest useful ingredients to make your potions with and the upcoming quick-travel system will aid in getting around easier

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 17:35:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 17:35:03