Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / AGK App Refused on Amazon Store (t1)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2012 03:33
I submitted my app to the Amazon app store, and it was refused for the following reason:

Quote: "Motorola Droid,2.3 Application returns to the home screen on call interrupt."

I'll send an email to amazon asking for clarification, but this is an issue that should be addressed by TGC

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2012 16:59
I think I know what they mean, when they send a call to the phone the app restarts. This is currently a limitation of AppGameKit on Android since sending it to background with NDK trashes the OpenGL context and everything has to be reloaded, so to get the Android version out as quickly as possible the app just restarts. Hopefully I can look at this at some point in the future and make AppGameKit apps reload their images when sent to background and resumed.
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2012 20:49
Ok Paul! Just in case, here is what they wrote back:

Quote: "The error you received means when a call is made to the phone while your app is running, the application returns the user to the home screen."

Which is basically what you just said :3

westalke
Years of Service
User Offline
So essentially what you are saying is agk is currently not supported for amazon app store ... hmmm
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2012 11:47
Well, they're not advertising it as such (it's not on the App Game Kit website that they are supporting it yet). But hopefully now that they're aware of this issue, they can work on it.

I mean, AGK's main goal is multiple platforms

keitaroguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 05:01 Edited at: 10th Feb 2012 05:02
No essentially what it means that AppGameKit does not support Android (completely) and Amazon is a bit more selective on what they allow and disallow then the Android Market. No offense to AppGameKit its a great product just very young.
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 08:17
No, AppGameKit supports Android. It's not the dev's fault that Amazon spun off and bastardized a form of Android that now has higher standards that other vanilla builds can accept. Anyway, AppGameKit was released way before Fire was released, how could they have planned for this?

JimB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 19:44
All I hear is Phone on the markets, what about Android tablet stuff?
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2012 06:32 Edited at: 19th Feb 2012 06:33
in other words, on android, it seems AppGameKit Player (and games) can't run in background and doesn't support multitask. When AppGameKit Player (or AppGameKit Game) lost focus, it just stops. (it's the case for me on samsung Galaxy Ace android 2.3 and Galaxy tab 10.1 with android 3.2).

... unlike iOS where AppGameKit Player remains perfectly in background and resume things perfectly
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 07:19
Quote: "in other words, on android, it seems AppGameKit Player (and games) can't run in background and doesn't support multitask. When AppGameKit Player (or AppGameKit Game) lost focus, it just stops. (it's the case for me on samsung Galaxy Ace android 2.3 and Galaxy tab 10.1 with android 3.2).

... unlike iOS where AppGameKit Player remains perfectly in background and resume things perfectly "

Yup. I can't wait for AppGameKit to support this so I can sell my app on Amazon Market. Any news on this yet, Mr. Johnson?

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 19:06
Mr Johnston :p
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2012 03:37 Edited at: 25th Feb 2012 16:27
honestly, AppGameKit is for phones, but if the "phone" gets a "phone-call",
it gets messed up? genius.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
so any official news from TGC on this problem?
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2012 07:58
Not sure. I'll post this over at Google

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2012 18:52
Can you just submit it as a tablet app? Tablet's don't receive phone calls.
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2012 09:20
Quote: "Can you just submit it as a tablet app? Tablet's don't receive phone calls. "

I'm not sure. But this would kill the app from being distributed to phones (it's been 2 months since I last visited the Amazon market page)

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 03:38
Good news is the next version will now support going to background and resuming where it left off in Android.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 13:48
Paul... Thats great news! I received the same fate yesterday. My app was rejected by Amazon... Looking forward to the next update!
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 16:25
How much does it cost to submit apps to Amazon? It is for free the first year?
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 17:06 Edited at: 4th Apr 2012 17:08
Yeah... The first year is free, $99 per year after...

Quote: "Special Limited-Time Offers: Join the developer program now, and we’ll waive the $99 program fee for your first year."

EDIT: Added quote...
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 16:22
Wov, it's a robbery, worst than Apple! 99$ is too expensive for a spare-time-one-man-job-hobbyst programmer as me.
My business plan has not been very positive yet: I spent 77€ for AppGameKit plus
25$ for Android Market license, and I earnt 2.8€, selling 4 copies of my apps.
It is evident that I'll never become the new Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, but I would like at lest to recover the costs
I hope that with the new pinball application I'll do more money, I'll put a demo version. Maybe one of the reasons people do not buy apps, is the lack of free demo and/or video.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Marco, I spent a few thousand $ (AGK + 2 other SDKs + 2 years Apple fees + Android fee + Macbook) and I only released 2 free apps without ads!!!!

Don't expect to make any big $ unless you shell out a lot of $ for a decent company to do the marketing & advertising for you.
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 10:52
Quote: "Wov, it's a robbery, worst than Apple! 99$ is too expensive for a spare-time-one-man-job-hobbyst programmer as me.
My business plan has not been very positive yet: I spent 77€ for AppGameKit plus
25$ for Android Market license, and I earnt 2.8€, selling 4 copies of my apps.
It is evident that I'll never become the new Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, but I would like at lest to recover the costs
I hope that with the new pinball application I'll do more money, I'll put a demo version. Maybe one of the reasons people do not buy apps, is the lack of free demo and/or video. "

Because the Android Marketplace... well sucks. I've made $200 so far since Feb. 15 on iOS alone. Enough to recoup costs for this year's fees and next year's fees. Compared to Android, which I've made $1.00 for.

You have to spend money to make money. But regardless, it's not a lot of money, what I've earned so far. But will it help with a new PC? A down payment for a car? Yes. And quite frankly, if I keep adding more features and levels to my apps, I'll end up selling more down the road.

Spacebuddy
Years of Service
User Offline
The android market is not very good.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
The android market is not very good.
Well, I am not surprised by this revelation. Android has a fairly large userbase, but the market is so flooded with apps, it must be difficult to stand out from the crowd. Also, the people who own Android phones are less likely to shell out for apps than apple users. I am waiting on AD support before I try to release anything (or spend any money with android/apple etc.). I think apps would probably fare better on android that way.
The Samsung Bada has a decent user base, but I see little interest here for it. Sure it's not as fancy as the others, but I would imagine that could be a better market than either Android or iOS, as it has way less apps available, and plenty of users who probably want some. I imagine Playbook will be similar at the moment too, probably more so.
Answerman, that is one of the good things about selling computer software online. You can keep selling it and have no worries about stock

GasiusGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Worst of all for me, was to pay my fees only to find out that neither amazon or google supports selling apps for developers in south africa. We have to make our apps free. It would be nice to have a function in agk to make use of paypal and maybe the facility to call webservices. Its like 4 lines of code in the android sdk.
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2012 21:53
GasiusGames, if you use AGK's Tier 2, there's nothing which would stop you by doing the same thing in AppGameKit as you did in android SDK. The only condition is that it would have to be possible in android NDK aswell.

Using Tier 2 and AppGameKit you can fully take control of Native commands.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps the new 107 release once finalized, will sort this out. I noticed a resume command listed..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:23:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:23:34