Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Double Dash!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 02:38
I have a NES and I bought Mario Bros because I lost my copy adn it was

10 cents
BUT
It was on sale for:
5 cents
Then I got a Great Game called Rad Racer for $2
What a rip off!

I wanted to learn C++ but then I started having nightmares.
I would scream at night, "AHHHHH!!! THE SEMI-COLONS"
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 04:16
I bought Star Fox64 for $10, great game for $40 buck discount off original price

I have the ORIGINAL ZELDA FOR NES!!! Quite crap if ya ask me but ...

Beauty, eh? RoooooooooOooooooooKooooooooooooKooooooooooRooooooooooooOoooooooooooooKooooooooooooooKoooooooooooooooo!
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 05:37 Edited at: 19th Nov 2003 05:44
I want to get double dash.
I got the broadband and modem adapter so i am all set there.
All i got to do now is get the game and hook up to my friends cube.

Who remembers the zelda code

Write zelda as your name and you get the seconed quest(Which is pretty much the same as the first but harder and dungens are in different places.) with out going through the entire game and it and beat it. Who remembers that

AMD Atherlon 2400+ XP, 380 DDr memeory, ATI Radeon 9000 64 DDR, Windos XP home edition.
-----------------------And a Katana.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 11:52
I don't.

...and like that; he's gone...
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I had a Nes and I blew it up after a couple of days by making my own scart adapter for it.

Pincho.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 12:28
I bet it was worth it though.

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 16:34
@Dazzag

"Neophyte - Ummmm... ok... so I take it you slightly liked that rubbish game Turok, say, a little bit more than I did?"

It was the first FPS that I ever played. That's the reason I have such vivid memories of it. Everything was totally new to me then so I couldn't see how much of a rip off of Quake it was at the time. Still, I ended up playing it for about only a week then I got bored and never touched it again.

Oh, and on a side note, would you believe that this game sold over a million copies? Acclaim has been milking the success on that game for all it is worth and then some. Out of the four sequals to this game none have come close save the second one to getting near one million sold(in just the US I think but don't quote me on that cause odds are I'm wrong).

"So if a console came out at $300 in america (and similar amount in Japan), then it would be £300 in the UK. Erm... thats over $500 dude.... "

Ouch. That had to suck. What were they thinking?
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 16:55
Quote: "It was the first FPS that I ever played"

Ah, yes it wasn't a patch on even the original Quake, or even Doom, really. Only in the graphic stakes. And yep, it did do well, but again probably because it was quite pretty, and there was only about 3 decent games available at the time.

Quote: "Ouch. That had to suck. What were they thinking?"

I was loaded at the time. Pretty much had to have everything. Wasn't going to wait 6 months. Same reason why I ordered a PS2 way before it came out for about £300. Laughable how these old systems are now hardly used (not even the DVD on the PS2 as I have... um... 9, I think, separate ways of watching a DVD movie in my house - see what I mean?). Oh, ang on, you said what were *they* thinking. Same reason I suppose. Lots of people with a fair bit of money and no "stop" button. And the government has basically slowly shaped the whole system to make us expect high prices for things. Nice. Only recently have people started having eppies about these things.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 18:17
@Great_Knight

Quote: "I got the broadband and modem adapter so i am all set there."

Lucky guy, it hasnt been released here

- My online portfolio/under construction
- The Media Base/under construction
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 19:30
@Dazzag

"Ah, yes it wasn't a patch on even the original Quake, or even Doom, really. Only in the graphic stakes."

The graphics were pretty impressive at the time. I think the only reason I played that game besides the graphics was the cool weapons. I remember turning on the invinciblity and unlimited ammo cheat and going crazy with the minigun. But that only entertained me for so long.

"And yep, it did do well, but again probably because it was quite pretty, and there was only about 3 decent games available at the time."

That's true. Looking back over my collection of N64 games, the only ones worth playing more than once were GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, and Conker's Bad Fur Day. I kinda feel ripped off for having bought that stupid console and only getting Three decent games out of the entire 6 or so years that it was out.

"And the government has basically slowly shaped the whole system to make us expect high prices for things."

How have they done that? I have they raised taxes on imported goods or something?
Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 20:22
those were the good ol days, golden eye with a few mates around. Master of the 1 hit kill

I wonder what made it so addictive?

Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 22:38
so i guess thats all the people who got it

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, to me goldeneye is a new game really. If you want to talk about old games then you should be talking about Atic Atac, Jetpac, Turrican, Delta, Sanxion, Sonic The Hedghog.
Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 23:34
lol, Sonic The Hedghog is the only one that rings any bells for me im afraid

not intending to make you sound any older

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 00:30 Edited at: 20th Nov 2003 00:36
Good call on Goldeneye there. Top game.

Oh, and ripoff Britain example:
Read somewhere that it is actually cheaper for petrol in Britain than in the USA. Apparently all to do with north sea, and there not being very far to transport it compared with USA. This is compared with USA overall. I mean sure it will be cheaper if you live next to an oilwell in Texas or something. And it's not as if there is less call for it here. I mean the population of the UK is nearly double any state in the US. But it is well more expensive here to fill up. Why? Cos the VAST majority of it is tax. Nice.

Another example? I just saw a program on TV about homes abroad. In the US this seemed to come down to Florida, and that's it. Several of the homes they showed were around the £150k mark. This was for 4-5 bedrooms (3-4 on suite), and a good sized pool, in a cage thing (bit like a big conservatory - and for big, see enormous). This was on nice estates (one was next to a golf course, another next to a lake) within 10-15mins of Disneyworld. Class. Now, just to put this into perspective; my house is 3 bedrooms, and has one bathroom (no on-suite for me, preferred bigger bedrooms). Obviously has no pool (don't make me laugh) and isn't even detached (can't seem to find non-detached in Florida websites). Oh, it has a garage. But it can't really fit my Impreza in, so I let my lodger keep her Lupo in it. And do you know how much it is worth? This is near London mind, but even so.... yep, it's worth £200k+ (this was a few months ago). Oh yes. Will buy the Florida cheapy homes (choke), and have enough cash left for a Porsche. Erm....

Oh, and Super Mario 64. C'mon people, that gamed totally ruled.

Cheers

PS. Oh yeah, and these houses were actually made out of *brick*. Yep, I looked twice.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 00:35
Screech.....
Quote: "lol, Sonic The Hedghog is the only one that rings any bells for me im afraid"

No..... surely you heard of Jetpac????? And Atic Atac....

Damn it man, get hold of a Spectrum emulator and start playing those classics!!!!!!! Renegade was always a personal favourite...

And you are from the UK too....

Oh, and download like 3000 games for the speccy. This is not a choice BTW. I order you to do this and then you will be one of the men. Bit like a right of passage agey thing, just for computer geeks from the 80's, with lots of C90 cassettes Chrome was good... but metal tape.... mmmm...

Cheers

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 02:27
Chase HQ? Chase HQ????? What about Ghostbusters????? Oh yes.

And don't forget the games that showed a timer while they were loading. Although there were also games that allowed you to play *other* games while they were loading!!! Wow. Those were the days...

...and +2????? Damn it man, that was coming out of the closet and admitting you loved Amstrad. Unless it had rubber keys, or was a plus with huge vent (first 128), then it wasn't worth it. Always wanted a +3 or a SAM though, but it all fell apart about then.

Oh, and did anyone actually have that surf board thing that actually fitted on the old rubber keyboard? Was a surfing sim (obv). You actually had to press the board in different places to simulate surfing. Always wanted one...

Cheers

Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 13:37
Quote: "No..... surely you heard of Jetpac????? And Atic Atac.... "

Well yea i have heard of those, but never played em

las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 14:20
ha, I believe I still have music from turrican III? on tape.

But seriously concerned about some of you guys. Retro means some crappy (and not even so old) nintendo games to you. Ygh.

and amstrad was great. Mine had a display with all 4 shades of green. It felt really crappy compared to my brother's C64.

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 18:50
Quote: "But seriously concerned about some of you guys"

-------

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 22:17
@Dazzag

"Oh, and Super Mario 64. C'mon people, that gamed totally ruled."

Yeah, it was pretty good. The reason why I didn't list it was because I didn't own it. My cousin did so I never felt too inclined to buy it since I could play by going over to my cousin's house or just borrowing it.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2003 01:47
Quote: "Actually it was a sinclair spectrum.. I don't know where you got the idea it was an amstrad"

Look it up. Actually it was an Amstrad. They made the +2 after they bought Sinclair (was labelled as a Sinclair Spectrum, otherwise you wouldn't know what it was). Look how grey it was. And it was a bit crap in comparison to the 128. Although the +3 was pretty cool (disk drive). And does *anyone* have a SAM?

Quote: "Yeah, it was pretty good"

Pretty good? T'was awesome. And I never even played the older Mario's at the time.

Quote: "Retro means some crappy (and not even so old) nintendo games to you"

In the UK, the Star Wars generation (ie. me) does not think Nintendo is retro. Nintendo was those crap game watch thingies, and were for kiddies. Retro means Speccy/C64/Atari ST/Amiga/Those games that had pong and a light gun. Same goes for Sega. We were more computers, less kiddy consoles (with the obvious exception of Atari). Until the Playstation, and as a side note the N64. But then they aren't really retro yet.

Cheers

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2003 04:01
Turok looked good on the console but the close fog looked like crap on the PC... and I know about the graphical limitations of the time, but heck, look at Quake, which had better textures and animations and was generally a better game (even though I don't like it), and didn't even have any fog. Okay, so Quake had the BSP system... hmmph...

Turok's ridiculous jumping puzzles are a royal pain though. I never finished the first level.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2003 12:44
neither did I. because of the same annoying jumping puzzles.
Oh well, wasn't a big loss, really.

Quote: "In the UK, the Star Wars generation (ie. me) does not think Nintendo is retro. Nintendo was those crap game watch thingies, and were for kiddies. Retro means Speccy/C64/Atari ST/Amiga/Those games that had pong and a light gun. Same goes for Sega. We were more computers, less kiddy consoles (with the obvious exception of Atari). Until the Playstation, and as a side note the N64. But then they aren't really retro yet."

I wasn't saying ALL of you consider Nintendo to be retro. Some of you do, and that worries me. Because N64 and all alike are kiddiegames not retro. there's a big difference there and it's just not the "age".
and Dazzag, you forgot amstrad.
Plus I probably wouldn't add Atari there but oh well...

I've had my share of consoles as my neighbour and his brother had all the possible consoles (that were available here) when I was young and lived next door to them. There were the Crappy Jaguars, with the worst "Alien" game ever. and then I've played the japan imported brandless console with about 300 games. Most of them variations from one game. Gah. Then there were the nintendo's, sega's and such too...
And I never wanted any of those.

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2003 17:46
Quote: "I'd rather not ruin the fond memories I have of the spectrum +2 128k"

Ok. But it was an Amstrad. And we all spat at it a bit

Quote: "and Dazzag, you forgot amstrad"

No I didn't. See above. But seriously, c'mon, the Amstrad was an also ran.

Quote: "Plus I probably wouldn't add Atari there but oh well..."

Ach.... no.... I was using ST's around 1989, so that's pretty retro! (almost 15 years ago). And you come from Finland, so you were probably (like the Germans) using it with a mono-screen and only MIDI applications. In the UK it was a war with Amiga basically about games.

Cheers

Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2003 19:56
completed mario cart double dash a couple of days back, only 2 charictors to unlock , the tour is quite challenging though 16 tracks kind of tired me, but ive now done it in all the CC's. Guess ill get back to trying to unlock those deadly charictors in f-zero gx, getting the extra hard ones is a real challenge.

Games to come
- mario golf > not sure if im getting that
- mario tennis > great expectations, if its as good as or better thant the n64 version it will be ace

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well i've completed all the tracks in 100cc, even the Bonus tracks! I got those free characters, now I'm gonna complete the 150cc. It's very easy to complete this game. The AI isn't that good, the computer players never aim for the pickups, and they seem to stay mainly in the middle of the track. There is always a computer player that tries to win, he never seems to get overtaken by the other computer players, well rarely anyway. If you bomb the comuter player that is trying to win he catches almost immediately. This makes the scoreboard close between the two of you. That does make the game tight, but better AI would have worked too. I would like to be able to come 4th, blow up the lead player in the next round, and he gets overtaken, but you can't really do that because he has a supercharged buggy.

Pincho.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2003 23:47
mario golf i have, not that good actually

Beauty, eh? RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2003 23:48
Yeah, its pretty crap.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 19:45
I am renting Double Dash, no much depth. I will prob have this game done by monday

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 19:50 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2003 19:50
I played in it GAME for a minute. It wasn't as good as I had been told.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 22:19
Is it as good as the GBA version? Which was tops BTW.

Would have bought it by now even so, but know it is a Xmas pressie, so will have to wait.

Cheers

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 22:39
I don't like GBA version much, but I have to say it is a bit better then DD

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 22:44
Double dash is a lot of fun. Keeps pretty original to mario kart 64.

The only major change is that you have 2 characters, and each set have their own special.(Meaning mario/luigi are the only with fireballs, Baby bowser/bowser only have giant green shell, etc.)

Also, the fact that you can rotate your characters from driving to back seat adds some depth.

It's worth having if you ever owned mario kart 64, or you're just looking for a game to play with a couple friends every now and then.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 22:54
Kart64 is a great game, WAY better then DD

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 23:57
@Mattman

"Kart64 is a great game, WAY better then DD"

I'm curious to know what, in your opinion, makes MK64 better than DD. I'm planning on buying DD but I'm a little edgy. I've heard that it was too easy, but I would like to know if there is something else wrong with it that I should be aware of.

I mean, from the looks of it it appears to be better than MK64. Better graphics, new power ups, new double cart mechanic. What's holding it back?
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2003 00:06
Nothing really holding it back Neophyte. Read my above post. Personally, it's just about as good as Mario Kart, maybe better once you add the double cart mechanic. I mean, it's something completely new, and adds important stratagy to the game.(Plus, there's even multiple carts varying in speed,accelleration,and weight.) Very good, and offers plenty of replay value.

In fact, I havn't even beaten it yet. I don't know why everyone says it's easy.
a.) They're just trying to sound cool.
b.) They hate mario and don't want to support it. c.) They only played it on 50cc.

Plus battle modes and time trials for after you beat grand prix.

@Mattman

Mattman, you should really back up what you say. It's easy to say something is stupid, but you must be able to prove it's stupid without assumptions.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2003 14:07 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2003 14:09
i agree yellow

btw pincho, you have to do it in 50cc aswell to get everything . I dont really know why they botherd with the last cup, making me go through 16 tracks on every cc to achive nothing. Fun to do all the same

whats up with mattman? lol

Quote: "Kart64 is a great game, WAY better then DD"

Crazy guy

On the topic of mario golf, i doubt i will get it, but tennis is a keeper

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 20:23:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 20:23:33