Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Gino Mohammed & The Mysterious Zulu Island ( RPG / Adventure )

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 01:20 Edited at: 20th Aug 2013 18:39
Hello! Me and a friend of mine are making a game in DarkBasic Classic. Here's some information and screenshots. Let us know what you think!

SHORT STORY:
You are Gino Mohammed, captain of a pirate ship and crew, sailing and plundering the seven seas. One day a strange and unusual thunderstorm blows your ship towards a peculiar island and smashes it onto the shore. The next morning you wake up tied to a tree about to get eaten by the native zulus. You escape and fight a few of them off. Then begins the story where you walk around trying to find your missing crew, but along the way discover there is something really weird about the island you are on...

GAMEPLAY
It plays like a classic 2D RPG in a 3D world. You fight enemies in a turn-based minigame, but most of the fun comes from the funny dialogue and the puzzles you have to solve.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the style, it looks very nice! The structures and terrain are very well done.

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 02:18
Looks good. I hope you finish it.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the graphic style. How much do you have done? Any chance for a Youtube gameplay video?

At first look, it immediately reminded me of Banjo Kazooie... I loved that game.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 19:40
I also like the style. The transparency is beyond what I would have expected by DBC.
This kind of game would probably be branded "racist" in countries such as Sweden though, just a heads up in case that could cause trouble further down the road (I should add that I don't see it like that; after all those kinds of slightly exaggerated depictions of "wild island natives" seemed to have been perfectly fine to use up until the nineties )

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
ArK 48k
Years of Service
User Offline
Kudos on your excellent design and simple traditional game mechanics. What you are creating in DBC is nothing short of pure heart and free form creativity. Unfortunately as a minority coder/gamer myself there is a uncomfortable (dated) undertone of racial stereotypes that seem to be present in your work.
Mitchell Monhemius
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm very sad to hear some people may find the theme a bit racist. It was never my intention to make it racist! The game is almost finished, so I'll be uploading it soon enough. I hope noone wil be offended!
Silverman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 11:39
Hi Mitchell Monhemius,
screenshots are nice, and the gameplay looks interresting. Games made ​​with dbc are rare, and you seem to have experience in programming. I discovered this game project made ​​with dbc by chance (I thought it was a project dbpro), then I think you should post a link to this wip in dbc forum, it be interesting for the people of this forum. Now it only remains to wait for uploading.

DirectX 9.0c (February 2010)/ DBClassic v1.20

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 14:23:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 14:23:17