Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / skybox problem (skybox is not visible, instead there is multiplying ground)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
somebody know how to fix this?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 15:49
HI NickK, and welcome
Quote: "skybox is not visible"

When you say "fix this" is the problem in a final build or during
a "test" run? When this happens with a "build" it is because the
"skybox" did not get transferred. Just open your game folders
and paste in the skybox your missing.
best

You know you're a bad gamer when you're able to run out of infinite lives.
NickK
Years of Service
User Offline
hi ncmako, thanks

it happens in test run
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2014 16:31
NickK
Quote: "it happens in test run "

Then just like with a build, the skybox path or file is
incorrect or missing. Double check your settings.
best

NickK
Years of Service
User Offline
ncmako, the path is correct and there are 7 required files in the skybox folder: one .x file and six .dds files, but its still not working. I forgot to mention that skybox did actually appear in test run a couple of times (maybe this somehow could help to find a solution), but for the rest of the time its just black and ground segment clones itself when youre moving the camera. This is starting to piss me off
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2014 20:58
Quote: "one .x file and six .dds files"

That's why, it requires 7 textures. Six for the skybox and
one for the clouds that move.
I suggest if you can, to purchase "Rolfy's" sky-scroll pack
here...http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=207235&b=24
All the work is done and they work perfect.
best

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2014 22:54
Quote: "but for the rest of the time its just black and ground segment clones itself when youre moving the camera."

When this happens in Classic, it is because the engine cannot render the skybox- this is due to either missing files, an incorrect path/spelling in the "setuplevel.fpi" file calling the skybox, or an incorrect listing in the X file of the skybox. I have encountered this issue many times and know exactly what the issue is and where to look.

First, you need to make sure you are correctly specifying the skybox in your "setuplevel.fpi" file. After many years of using classic and successful deployments, I know that the skyboxes were a big pain that had some issues to be resolved. First, spaces in the skybox folder itself or skybox name will cause the above issue. That is why (you notice), the skyboxes listed all have "three" characters (skybank\folder\123 as an example). Anyways, to specify your skybox, the correct format is this:

The above not only will load the skybox, but this is how you also can load and use the skyscroll command (which only a very small few of us actually used).

Second, ensure you have all files required- in a build game I noticed that a .dbo and the six textures would copy but I too had the above issue. I removed the .dbo from the build and instead copied the X file and voila- it worked.

Third, open the X file with notepad and look at what texture file it is referencing. For example, I will use the skybox CTY (located in my "skybank\ww2\Cty" folder). I will not quote the entire file, but here is the first texture file reference.

Notice the "cty_D.tga"? That is the file for the skybox D field and so on in the rest of the X file (B,D,F,L,R,U). If your X points to TGA but the textures are DDS, that is okay; if they point to DDS and the textures are TGA that is also okay. But if the X points to DDS and they are PNG, BMP, JPG, then you will need to convert them and adjust the extension in the X file according. In other words, skyboxes using JPG textures did not work properly once shaders were developed after v1.18- heck they never even got copied to a final build and thus some of us converted the images to either PNG/DDS/TGA, then manually edited our skybox X files according and pointed to the exact extension.

These above examples are the common reasons why you get the issue you do. From v1.18 and up there were issues and reports with skyboxes not copying to a build, etc and it was addressed more or less as best that the development team could do. Some things were missed by most (such as having spaces in the folder names or skybox name, using a texture no longer supported or working properly with shaders), and it is hard to try and determine an exact reason with the various versions available as each reacted differently depending on the setup.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2014 18:19
NickK
I'm sorry, got this posting confused with your other post on "skyscroll". Disregard my previous post. BlackFox
explains it best

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:06:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:06:08