Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / You believe your a good programmer?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 01:26
well although i don't have much faith in many of the coders online, i really need a good coder as i have niether the time nor skill to achieve what i want done. (and i have tried)

this isn't a team request (so please don't move this), this is for a single person. may have more luck making sure they come up with something.

sounds a lil hostile? well i've put my faith in over 20 of you from here so far to achieve this over the past 4years and STILL nothing; so respect will be given if it is actually earnt for once.

i am in need of a Programming Editor, capable of generic languages.
in otherwords; an editor capable of features that can be enabled via an SDK so that it can be rewritten spefically for a given language, yet still retain the exact same interface.
i have a very very exact picture of what i want the interface to look like, and i know what features i want and would like in it.

i would strongly prefer a C++ or C# programmer for this as quite frankly Visual Basic's speed is pathetically appaulling for my likes, when i click on a tab menu or button i expect instant results not to wait 5minutes for the interface to refresh and achieve the task in hand.
the editor needs to work even down to the basic Pentium 90mhz w/16mb ram w/2mb VGA ... at the very least (Windows 98's min specs)

and if no-one here believes they're also capable of even this overview then i would like to know of people you believe are.

my favourite Editors are Microsoft Developer 6.0|98 and Macromedia Dreamweaver Mx 2004 to give you some idea of what you might be asked to develop.

if you are interested and not just in the idea of the project but actually seeing it to it's end (hopefully so i have a working model for Luma Glyph) ... then email me

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 02:37
Quote: "Visual Basic's speed is pathetically appaulling for my likes, when i click on a tab menu or button i expect instant results not to wait 5minutes for the interface to refresh and achieve the task in hand."

That's NEVER happened to me in any VB app ever. I honestly cannot believe you just said VB is slow for Windows apps.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 02:43
Especially as C# is ok but vb not, I am sure cattlerustler will be along any minute touting vb.net.

dbpro : p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 03:27
C# and "Windows 98's min specs" just won't go together...

Me, I'll sit and write this love song as I all too seldom do
build a little fire this midnight. It's good to be back home with you.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You believe your a good programmer?"

I think I'm OK, but then again you think nearly everyone on these forums is a terrible programmer.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 04:22
98 is capable of it, provided the .Net 1.1 Framework is installed
Windows95 won't however.
sides you don't need to use Managed Code in C#, and setup it's exports the same as C++
but no major biggie, to be honest i'd prefer C++ over anything.

and as for VB's speed, you want a good example try using Outlook XP (not express) on even lower end systems - suchas a 1Ghz Pentium4, there are SOOOO many lags its unbareable at times.
RobK's IDE is another fine example of the speed of VB, sorry but is just too slow for my likes; and i'm the person you'll be catering for lol

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 04:49
Practically evry1 on this forum is a terrible programmer. Sorry to say it but it is true. Why is it so few projects get finished. Rubbish programming. Sorry Raven, i cant do those things you said.

Watch this space if you like getting bored...
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?gf=irc <<Visit the chat!.;
DeepBlue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 04:55
Lmao..hi Raven (this is my bi-annual visit to the forums as my son is now 9 months old).

Sounds one hell of a boring project, which is probably why nobody has ever finished it. Sounds like you are after a customisable IDE.

I would strongly suggest you look at CodeWarrior as it might fit all of your needs 'out of the box'.

Was going to go on a long rant about programming apps & speed, but I'm fairly sure I've done that many times over several years so I won't bother.

Anyway if CodeWarrior won't do what you want, or your to tight to pay for it, I hope you find someone to do it for you (not sure what the motivation is).

Love & Kisses
Twynklet

p.s. I don't beleive I'm a good programmer, I know I am
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 05:27
hahaa, yeah Twynklet i'm sure you are ... and it probably is boring.
i have Codewarrior6 Linux & MacOS, not really what i want though.

and to be honest i've given up on motivating people with thing hon
dunno, i'm kinda fed up with all of these communities and such.
i wouldn't mind if people were like getting bored and handed over what they had so i could tinker and hand it on; but they don't.
They tell me all these things they've done to it, then one day !poof! are away for like 2-3months. When they come back act like nothing has happened.

ya know i've been through around 14 different forums for this today and yesterday; i'm about at cracking point. i know some people out there love app development, but god knows.

maybe i should just wait til i can renegotiate my contract for more cash, actually hire a professional; cost me an arm and a leg, but atleast it'd get done eh.
:: sighs ::

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Basically what I'm wondering is, why not do it yourself?

Forgive me if you've already answered that question.

MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 08:25
I'm fair enough a programmer not to accept chore-coding without a fair sized transfer of cash.

But I don't do c++, as I don't think it's necessary. Delphi would work just fine for what you're after, and would take a hell of a lot less time to develop with.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 09:18
Quote: "RobK's IDE is another fine example of the speed of VB, sorry but is just too slow for my likes; and i'm the person you'll be catering for lol"

I'm running a 400mhz PC and RobK's IDE runs fine, there's no delays at all. What the hell are you talking about?

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 10:23
What would you actually be doing Raven?
Surely it isn't your project?

Alien Rampage ---->>> http://www.geocities.com/alienware_competition <<<---- All the cool kids are playing it.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 11:36
I reckon Delphi would be a good platform for this, as would VB with a decent source edit add-in, C++/C# is too unweildy a beast for coding IDE's unless you've got a team of 10 coders.

The SDK style support is not really an issue - you can make syntax checking rules and command lists really easily, coupled with definable parameter passing to compilers and it should be possible to make an SDK system without too much hassle. I would'nt call it an SDK though, because it's not like your getting access to extra features, more like a platform settings file(s).

If you were prepared to learn, you could easily it yourself, Delphi is not an unfriendly language, and with a good source box SDK, that would take care of most of the source handling - really an IDE is just a wrapper for a source box sdk with language specific settings. Think about it, what else does an IDE do except provide editing facilities and pass parameters to compilers - everything else it does is can be handled with simple standard windows controls and entry level coding.

Considering there's like half a dozen or more DBPro IDE's been developed over the last couple of months, I reckon you could do worse than check out all of these - they might not be ideal, but I'd imagine command lists etc are handled logically, you might even convince the author to make a few multi-platform friendly amendments.

Van-B

Next time he runs past, GRAB HIM!
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 12:13
Quote: "Practically evry1 on this forum is a terrible programmer. Sorry to say it but it is true. "

Cheeky sod!!! Speak for yourself...

~ J ~
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 12:34
Exeat perhaps for you the speed is alright, but for me i'm oftenly left waiting for CodeSense to catch up with my typing; and alot of the menu's are not instant, infact VB redraws the ENTIRE program before doing anything. This also leads to a very annoying blink whenever you do anything that wasn't close in program terms to the last command you activated.

Delphi is another good suggestion, however GuyS was extremely good at it and the DBP IDE still had memory issues under Windows XP; anyone here tell me which version of Windows people are most likely to be useing nowadays?

Sorry but not everyone is a Techy Nerd Bedroom Programmer, desperately hanging onto the past with Windows 98. While yeah I accept quite a few people have it, I more accept the fact that the majority market has Windows XP.

And yeah i have answered why i don't want to make this; Because i've already tried and failed. And quite frankly i don't have the time to put into this AS WELL as working on my other project and work... i'm not going to sit here and overload myself with things to do again expecting people to help me out.
This is why i'm not saying to HELP me create the Editor this time; I want SOMEONE ELSE to do it. Just worry about thier own dang code and the end result.

Quote: "Considering there's like half a dozen or more DBPro IDE's been developed over the last couple of months, I reckon you could do worse than check out all of these - they might not be ideal, but I'd imagine command lists etc are handled logically, you might even convince the author to make a few multi-platform friendly amendments."

Yeah and Van, to be honest; i hate using any of them. i still use GuyS's mostly, occasionally i use my own - but it just isn't as bug free as i'd like with the text commands.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 13:27
Quote: "Exeat perhaps for you the speed is alright, but for me i'm oftenly left waiting for CodeSense to catch up with my typing; and alot of the menu's are not instant, infact VB redraws the ENTIRE program before doing anything. This also leads to a very annoying blink whenever you do anything that wasn't close in program terms to the last command you activated."

See, I don't know how that's possible. My computers specs pale in comparison to yours and I get none of those problems when running Rob's IDE. You must have other CPU-itensive programs running at the same time or need to defrag your system or something. Because that's not normal.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 13:49
Quote: " 98 is capable of it, provided the .Net 1.1 Framework is installed"

Although it is possible to get the .net framework running under Win98 (it's not officially supported, though), you were talking about "Windows 98's min specs".

Quote: "Delphi is another good suggestion, however GuyS was extremely good at it and the DBP IDE still had memory issues under Windows XP"

Delphi has no memory problems under Windows XP (or any other Windows version).

Well, maybe people are not interested in this project because they remember what happened to all of your other announcements.

Me, I'll sit and write this love song as I all too seldom do
build a little fire this midnight. It's good to be back home with you.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 13:51
Or they just don't like him.

Alien Rampage ---->>> http://www.geocities.com/alienware_competition <<<---- All the cool kids are playing it.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 14:42
Quote: "Practically evry1 on this forum is a terrible programmer. Sorry to say it but it is true."

DarkBASIC is for amatures (spelling?) it isn't like we all are gonna be able to make the next Halo with it

I am mischeivious
RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 14:50
Sorry, but I don't agree. A good game is simply that. A good game isn't the best graphics, the fastest particles on screen at any one point, nor is it the best multi-player system that provides realtime 3d 1000 frames per second animation.

Likewise I don't really think DarkBasic is for amateurs, it's a tool that you can use to achieve effects in an easy high-level fashion.

~ J ~
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 15:25
actually most users here are longtime programmers in other languages, which are using DB|DBE|DBP for thier hobby; makes it an ideal place to ask rather than C++ forums filled with Application Newbies.

and Exeat i'm always running alot of tasks, but that isn't the reason its slow; not is the defragmentation because i tried it right after i reinstalled.
it's just for me the speed is too damn slow, i mean i can tell that Macromedia Dreamweaver Mx 2004 is a Visual Basic .Net program; it is extremely obvious by the way it reacts and the footprint i has on the memory, plus loading times.

That said it is still my favourite Editor right now, simply because of how it feels to use. Still you crack open Microsoft Developer and tinker in that at the same time (as is the why with my site right now as it has combined JavaScript+HTML and Java Applets) and you can physically see the speed differences far more clearly.
I mean thats the way i can hazzard to guess that you'd see the speed difference, but imagine it always seeming like that; which it does with me. computers in general seem just too bloody slow to react sometimes, i'm left waiting for the buffer occasionally even in Microsoft Developer.

Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 18:34 Edited at: 15th Dec 2003 18:54
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 19:24
Quote: "Why is it so few projects get finished. Rubbish programming."

no, I think the main culprit behind unfinished projects is impatience or unpersistance.

Amist the Blue Skies...
nrasool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 19:38
@Raven

Quote: "well although i don't have much faith in many of the coders online "
Ouch how harsh....

Quote: "i would strongly prefer a C++ or C# programmer "

Don't know c#, but have done, c++ (Unix and Windows MFC coding
), also done a bit of direct x programming as well. This task may not be impossible, but it will be hard. MFC programming is not easy to pickup. Might be an idea to use an opensource project like WxWindow. This can be found on the sourceforge website.
If there was a person who wanted to take this task, then i would suggest using Visual C++ 6.0, rather than .NET, not everyone wants to install the framework

I personally think that Delphi will be a better idea in programming.

Quote: "DBP IDE still had memory issues under Windows XP; anyone here tell me which version of Windows people are most likely to be useing nowadays"

Personally i haven't had that much issue with DBP ide under XP, although i prefer Windows 2000 to XP. IMO that was more stable.

Quote: " i'm always running alot of tasks, but that isn't the reason its slow; not is the defragmentation because i tried it right after i reinstalled."

Background programs do slow down your pc. I remember i was doing tech support for a pc company, and the amount of people who were complaining that they pc is slowing down, or application takes a long time in loading up. Even like you said after a reinstall.

I notice they were running
1. Firewall software
2. Anti virus software
3. Crashguard programs (The bane of my life, these programs actually do crash out a program)

I took them in safe mode, and told them to run a program which does not use more than 256 color to run, and it loaded up pretty fast the OS they were using were 98 and ME.

These are just my 2 cents
Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 19:55
I'm speechless

But I can't help but think its probobally true

- MW website under construction
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 22:08
Hi Raven,

If you have speed issues with my IDE I can assure you it isn't VB or CodeSense (written in C++). Unchecking the two checkboxes at the bottom of the code tab will increase the speed.

Aside from that, your only option is to fork out for paid programmers.

BLUE GUI Plugin: http://blue.robert-knight.net / BLUE IDE [href]http://blueide.sf.net/ - Replacement editor for DBPro[/href]
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 01:47
Im sorry if i offended anybody with my last post on this topic. A lot of people are good programmers dont get me wrong. And a lot of the best programmers you never even hear of. Its retards that come in saying "making mgs2 style game" when they have no idea how to tackle a project that big. I have some idea how to do that but have not enough motivation for it. That is why i have doubts that Eternal Destiny is going to succeed. I think DT will succeed though because i can tell just by talking to Indi that he knows exactly how and what to do. There is a difference (in my eyes) between coding and actually programming.

Watch this space if you like getting bored...
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?gf=irc <<Visit the chat!.;
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 01:55
yeah Rob i know, problem is cash. i've done alot of jobs freelance recently that i've not been paid for, and right now i'm only on jnr pay cause i just wanted a job and didn't care about the conditions.

no doubt when i can afford it i'll actually hire a professional to do this.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 01:59
I will read this thread fully when I get home (currently at Q104.3 FM in NY overseeing our software running the charity drive event - those of you in NY, make a donation!!) But I am always put off by Raven's comments, especially his ideas about visual basic when he thinks VB4 is still what's used by vb developers - His comments about vb are just plain ridiculous. @Raven, that's good - piss off all the vb coders here and see if you'll ever get your ide made...
If you're soooo smart why haven't you written it yourself?

Just a horrible coder here, getting paid $5000 for a 5 day lease of my horrible software, written in VB 6 - tool!

-RUST-

VB.NET makes me all goose-pimply!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 02:17
Download the trial version of SlickEdit. It might be what you want right out of the box. Lots of features, macro language support, etc. Around $269 and half that if you have a competing editor.

http://www.slickedit.com/
http://www.slickedit.com/products/pr_competitive_upgrade.php
--
TAZ
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 02:20 Edited at: 16th Dec 2003 02:24
I have seen some pretty poor professional programming work *cough*Microsoft Outlook *cough* - there is certainly hope for "amateurs".
(Notice the way I can effortlessly cough an emoticon)

@Raven
Your track record of Vapourware would probably put others off as well (I'm not saying that to be offensive - just to state that none of your projects have yet been released in a useable state). Also you forgot the most important part of any proposition - "what's in it for me?"

BLUE GUI Plugin: http://blue.robert-knight.net / BLUE IDE [href]http://blueide.sf.net/ - Replacement editor for DBPro[/href]
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 02:25
As to projects failing to be completed due to the lack of programming skill, I'd like to raise opinion that the real culprit is a lack of project and team management skills. Programming is only part of the game development equation.

Of the games completed, how many were by teams that worked well together or solo developers?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 02:46
yeah, well the ammount of people that have promised me stuff over the years from here; quite frankly i'm sick and tired of playing nice.
I want someone who can get the damn job done, and by the comments comming back suchas
Quote: "If you're soooo smart why haven't you written it yourself?"

notes that your not even bothering to read the thread, i've stated SEVERAL damn time; i've tried, and i just can't make what i want.
add to this I DON'T HAVE THE TIME.

the ones completed so far have really be more solo efforts, or efforts of 2 people.
problem with people here is they're useless at working in a team, get so infuriated waiting for something someone else said that they would do, only to end up coding it myself.

and quite frankly if you people need insentive, think about what you'd actually be making and the fact that as i'm not helping other then explaining what i want; think about who would have the rights over it.

i'm not the only person here who wants an IDE like this, and i know i'm not the only person online who'd also love an IDE like this.

i'll checkout SlickEdit later, but for $280; and what appears to be hyped editing means. don't hold my confidence high for it.

MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 02:54
Hey, I'm not a great coder, and I've never claimed to be. But still, a version of my chat client will be sold to a swedish webside as a "companion" type of thing for a minimum of €7,500 + a fee per download. And that one's written in VB6. I guess I ought to be sued for selling such slow, miserable software to a "250,000 individual visitors a month" website and the development department of the website ought all to be fired for buying it.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 03:40
Quote: "Why is it so few projects get finished. Rubbish programming"

Being a good programmer is being a programmer who finishes projects. Nothing more to it.

Many programmers 'look' impressive with their fancy effects and stunning routines and faster this that and the other but it is all a load of fross if they never do anything with their abilities. In this I completely agree with Raven (whilst pointing out that he himself could be considered amongst this category too ).

As for the editor, we all use DarkBASIC for a reason, and if your going to finish a project then there are few better tools. BASIC gets the job done and well written BASIC is fast enough for most tasks. So the answer is to use a BASIC.

I wouldn't use VisualBASIC myself because I cannot think in an American accent, VB is just not my bag. For a task such as this I would use PureBASIC. It is to applications development what DarkBASIC is to games development. As DB coders yourselves, i'm suprised your even thinking about VB and C++ etc.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 04:19
To make an IDE that Raven is talking about you would think of DBP first??

and @ Raven, no I haven't fully read the thread yet, which I stated.
I will after a shower (just got home)

P U

-RUST-

MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 04:32 Edited at: 16th Dec 2003 04:34
The reason to use VB6 is development speed. If it was a matter of other considerations, like program speed or flexibility you would use another language. With VB you can get a decent functionality and decent speed in an IDE in a week or two. With c++ you'd have to add a month or two to that. VB6 is just too abstracted from everything to be really useful, and it would probably take more time to develop a VB6 application to handle for instance the Dx8 API than to use other languages.

But VB6's great point is its speed and its component library. With them, you can make an application really really fast. And for clients that look hard at the price-tag, that's very important. It may be what sells your work rather than the competition's.

When I need speedy projects and speedy programs, I'd of course use Delphi, but that's a matter of personal taste.

But I agree with one point. The key is to finish a project, and not necessarily to include fancy coding in something that will never be put to any use.

-----
-----
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 05:18
Ok, so I went back and re-read this thread...what was I supposed to see? Noticed nothing that would change my opinion, quite frankly. All this talk of vb6 speed, ok c++ is faster than vb6, but I have never seen any of the symptoms that Raven describes in a vb6 app regardless of the platform specs. And VB.NET compared to C++ and C#, the speed differences are negligible. Someone above also mentioned that vb6 wouldn't be good for an IDE solution (which I agree) but .NET might do the job but most won't want the Framework installed?? ...wait I have to find the quote...

Quote: "If there was a person who wanted to take this task, then i would suggest using Visual C++ 6.0, rather than .NET, not everyone wants to install the framework"

What is all this fear of the .NET framework? 26 Megs isn't alot to ask. I doesn't "wreck" computers as so many think - It's one of the few MS products that works flawlessly out of the box!! Not to mention a dedicated developer wanting to take on the task would get whatever tools were best suited to tackle the project, imho. Sorry but I think the above quote is pretty short-sighted.

Nevertheless, as I stated, I have not experienced these drastic vb6 app speed issues, there are much better choices in the arsenal now anyway, and even if I had a)the time, and b)the interest, that would assume c)I like you.

sorry, no takers here.

-RUST-

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Its retards that come in saying "making mgs2 style game" when they have no idea how to tackle a project that big"

And those people, my friend, are not bad programmers; they're not programmers at all.

By the way Raven, thanks for answering my question. But really, stop talking like someone should be expected to do your dirty work. I know, I know, you said you're not the only one that wants something like this, but when I look around, when I see people that want something, they work for it. That's the thing about being a good programmer m8. If there's something you want to do that's never been done, you make it happen.

And really if everyone here is so incompetent by your standards, then why do you still post here? Just curious.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 09:10
you know what, i've given the answers to all your questions before.
you want to sit there and misread then your just even worse than i first believed.

quite frankly i'm getting sick and tired of this "what's in it for me" attitude, i'm doing all of this purely as a hobby. i've done nothing but pay out for people to sit around and slack off for almost 4years just to get something i'm incapable of creating myself.

Quote: "And really if everyone here is so incompetent by your standards, then why do you still post here? Just curious."

i guess to be proven wrong for once.

Quote: "and even if I had a)the time, and b)the interest, that would assume c)I like you"

why the hell would i want someone who likes me? most of you don't, why should i give a damn at this point?
i want someone who can get the job done, not sit around with chatting about who they think is hotter or what they think about .Net

i've got enough friends, i want someone who can get on with a specific task without questions, without worries and complete it. end of story.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 10:24 Edited at: 16th Dec 2003 10:24
Quote: "quite frankly i'm getting sick and tired of this "what's in it for me" attitude, i'm doing all of this purely as a hobby."

And so are we. You think we're all programming DBP for commercial reasons? Sure, most of us dream we'd someday make a sellable game but in reality that will never happen to the majority (exceptions are Star Wraith, etc). So when's the hobby turn into a chore? When you start making something for someone else with no intention of using that product or doing anything with it. A lot of us would rather work on our own pet projects then make something for you. How can you expect us to not wonder "what's in it for me?"

MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 12:29
Quote: "Download the trial version of SlickEdit. It might be what you want right out of the box. Lots of features, macro language support, etc. Around $269 and half that if you have a competing editor."

UltraEdit is very comprehensive and cheap alternative.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
This is a hobbiest site! It is also a DBPro site! The idea is to make the games fun, not to be an amazing programmer. We have all played some great games that are easy to make! Tetris is an outstanding game, but who says that the guy who invented it is a great programmer? Even so....I don't think that insulting the people on the site is fair. Even a Mod insulted the members. No one is helping a hobbiest DB community by saying that they should use C++ to be worthwhile programmers. Even though we ignore Raven most of the time, it seems that he is totally against DB and DBPro, and the Mod should realise that he has to stand up for the language, and the people using the language, rather than join in with Raven. And even though this is a hobbiest site, some of the games are still excellent, well thought out, and well executed. When you think about it, what is a good DBPro programmer? A lot of people have used it to its full potential. It has limitations, how good a programmer can you be with a Basic language? I'd say that if you look at DBPro as the language in question, then the programmers on here are probably some of the best DBPro programmers in the world!

Pincho.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 14:01
What Mod? RobK's the only mod that's posted in this thread so far (unless I'm mistaken) and he only said Outlook was poor programming.

nrasool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 14:32
Quote: "i guess to be proven wrong for once."

Come on Raven, that really not nice. Personally speaking, even thou, i have been here a short time on this forum, it is a very good forum.
I use other forums, like www.allegro.cc (Who are also very nice as well), and people do try to help you to the their best ability.

Quote: "i want someone who can get on with a specific task without questions, without worries and complete it. end of story."

It may be an idea for you to post your specification for the program on another forum.

Here is a forum to check:http://forums.devshed.com/f42/s

Again another very good forum with helpful people

Good luck with the project.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 14:42 Edited at: 16th Dec 2003 14:42
Hands up who wants to make something for Raven for free.
Come on. I will be really hard and he did ask really angrily.
No one?

Oh well. Too bad.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 16:12
How fast does that download?
Mine downloads stuff at about 300kb per second. 1 megabyte in 4 seconds.
I get it free aswell

JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 16:35
I connect at 576Kbps. The closer you are to an exchange, the faster your connection.

~ J ~
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 16:43 Edited at: 16th Dec 2003 16:43
I found that ZDnet and CNET lied about the speed with thier 'Fast Download' thing. It said it was speeding it up to about 500kb/s but the download wasn't advancing that quickly.

P.S. Check out this slick hijacking of Raven's post.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:27:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:27:58