Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Windows / [SOLVED] Windows Compile not updating

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a strange one.
I'm developing a multiplayer game so have to keep copying the .exe to another machine.
So I make changes, and run the program through the Appgamekit front end and all is good.

But when I copy the .exe over, I find its an old version.

If I run the .exe from within the Appgamekit directory its all good, and its picked up the latest version.

But if I move the same .exe to another directory on the same machine I'm developing on and run it from there, again it picks up an old version (even if I rename it).

I'm not sure if its a windows issue or an Appgamekit issue or what, but its very frustrating.

If anyone has seen something similar and knows how to solve it, it would be much appreciated.

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2020 07:20 Edited at: 14th Sep 2020 07:27
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
it's my understanding that the .exe is just the current (generic) player for the bytecode (which is what gets compiled). take a look at the dates/times for all .exes since you've last updated AGK/S (mine are all the same for every project since the last classic update).

so, transfer the bytecode and whatever media, etc, that's changed. aka, everything BUT the .exe, and see what it does?
[My Itch.io Home] [#LowRezJamAGK2020]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[Google Forum Search]
Thaizer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the speedy response.
So basically I have to copy the bytecode hidden away in media.
Thats saved me hours of angst.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2020 08:01 Edited at: 14th Sep 2020 08:21
Quote: "Thats saved me hours of angst."

only if it works for you.

funny story:

the night before the due date of my first game jam, i pounded the keyboard tirelessly, tweaking everything, pumping out builds until ~4AM before i discovered what you just found - "nothing is updating"!

already exhausted (literally. and, my hands still have lingering issues from what i put them through that week), i went into a frenzy, tried everything i could think of to make the exe update until i collapsed, disgusted ~6AM.

when i woke a few hours later (i set the alarm), i did some forum searching (with pretty much seized up, panging hands) and found what you just found and was able to breath a little and get my final submission in "with confidence", then passed out.

the title: Decevious. a word that (i think) i made up (a cross between Deceitful and Devious), and oh, so appropriate... (beyond the Jam's Theme).

to top the experience off, i believe it has a fatal flaw: depending on the system its running on where sprite collision behaves differently on some systems. here's a recent thread that reminded me of the issue.

so, if i saved you any of that, i'm content

add: i'm not sure how that was a "funny" story. but, i'm chuckling, so...
[My Itch.io Home] [#LowRezJamAGK2020]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[Google Forum Search]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:54:12
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:54:12