Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Great! Thats all you need. Yet another IDE!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2003 07:49
Hi,

I've been working on a DBP IDE for a while and really need a few people to put its through its paces. If anyone would care to beta test it, the demo is: [href]http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/twilight/twilight setup.zip[/href]

Heres some images:

No webpage yet but will set one up as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2003 18:37
Make it so you can change the font if you haven't already. That font is an eyesore

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2003 19:30
Look at the last pic Wik

I am mischeivious
RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2003 19:38
Yeah, you already can change font, colors etc from the settings. Theres only so many fonts you can use with the codesense control, though, but you can at least go for one of others.

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2003 22:45

jeeze

Sorry

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 14:25
Looking at the second last image, can you have it so that it executes automatically after compiling, just that having to press execute after compiling could get timesome. Not sure about the background and the colour scheme for the line numbers (blue on black :/), I think both need to have softer colours. Lookin' good otherwise.

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?

Athelon XP 1600 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 15:52
Hamish, Thanks for your comments.

Executing automatically: I might do a setting for it.

Color of line numbers: You know you can specify what colours the line numbers use for background and foreground. These were just the colours I specified.

Done a new build...

Build 20 - Fixed a load of problems and added Dll Manager - which enables you to specify which Dlls you use for smaller EXE files.

New installer is:

http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/twilight/Twilight%20Setup.zip

or if you've already downloaded it get the updated files from here and drop them in the folder you installed twilight:

[href]http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/twilight/Patch1-0b20.zip [/href]

Thanks,

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 16:07
Features List:

RGB Picker - just type RGB in the code and it comes up with a colour box. (NB: You can turn if off if you want)

Multiwindow code editing

Dll Manager - Lets the programmer specify what DBP Dlls they wish to include in the project. If you don't need a Dll you can leave it out for smaller EXEs

Syntax Highlighting

Argument listing

Media Browser accepts mp3, wav, wma, jpg, bmp, gif, avi, mpg.

Arrange your windows how you want them.

Function and Label listing in seperate windows and also local ones within the code editors. Jump to functions just be clicking on them etc...

Context sensitive help

Code injector - just select the command you wish to put in, type in the arguments and bang. There it is in your code.

Control over code editing colors and fonts.

Stores recent files for quicker opening.

Split window editing.

Features to be included:

Plugin support via a Dll which will include the ability for you to make your plugins in DBPro if you wish. I've got it planned out - just putting this in now.

Icon and Cursor lists.

X and 3DS model browser.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 16:14
Oh right, didnt notice that you'd provided a dl link, clicking now...

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 16:16
Ok, tell me what you think.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 18:29
The interface seems really good, I like the layout and especially the code injector idea . I decided the backlground isn't so bad, just seemed a bit dark at first.

When I try and compile a program it just reports that it could not create the file, and quits. Also if I try and open a file that isn't there, it reports file not found and quits. You probably just need to put some error catching thing in (I forgot what the command is called ).

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 20:17
Oops, it didn't occur to me that someone might try to open a file that isn't there. I guess you gotta think of everything.

The first error worries me a little. Can I ask a few questions so I can pin down what the exact cirumstances are:

Had you specified a DBP location in the compilers settings?

Did it quit the compiler or twilight or both?

What did you have for EXE filename?

Had you saved the project before compiling?

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 20:24
Thinking about it the only file that the compile process createsare the temp files which it should create in the project folder...

I'll look into that - see what error catching I can do there.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 20:28 Edited at: 30th Dec 2003 20:30
I found out the problem, I took away the path before the exe name and it compiles fine. Before it quit the compiler and twilight. RobKs GUI seems to have the same problem.

Another thing is that I think you should have F5 as compile like in all the other GUIs. People are used to that and it would make things a lot easier.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 20:57
Hamish, do you mind trying this updated editor.exe? It should have better error trapping for the compile process.

http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/twilight/patch1-0b23.zip

To install just extract this file to replace Editor.exe in the folder you saved Twilight to.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 21:04
Ok F5, right, will do.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 21:55
Ok this new build (build 24) fixes those problems and lets you use F5 for compiling.

To install, just extract this file to replace Editor.exe in the folder you saved Twilight to.

http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/twilight/patch1-0b24.zip

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 22:18 Edited at: 30th Dec 2003 22:31
Tested and the error doesn't crash the editor. Still no trapping on the non-existant file opening (although you obviously know that). It'd be good if when an option is clicked on the menu (eg. project settings) and the window is already opened, it could pop to the top of the screen. Oh yeah and it'd be good if you could just create a temporary .exe and not have to save the project in order to compile. If people are testing out a short bit of code then they may not want to save it.

Another small thing you may want to change - when you create a new DBA file (project --> add source code to project) the combo boxes at the top still have their default text, just a small thing but something nonetheless.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 23:15
Quote: "Another small thing you may want to change - when you create a new DBA file (project --> add source code to project) the combo boxes at the top still have their default text, just a small thing but something nonetheless."

Ok, will sort that out. Did you get the chance to use those combo boxes for getting to functions and labels at all, by the way?

Quote: "Still no trapping on the non-existant file opening (although you obviously know that)."

Actually I thought I'd fixed that one. Will look into it further.

Quote: "It'd be good if when an option is clicked on the menu (eg. project settings) and the window is already opened, it could pop to the top of the screen."

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean...I will do it if you explain.

Quote: "Oh yeah and it'd be good if you could just create a temporary .exe and not have to save the project in order to compile. If people are testing out a short bit of code then they may not want to save it."

I see. Do you think this will cause a major problem for people? I'll find a way to sort it out if you are sure.

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 00:43
I havent d/led it but I think I can explain for Hamish:
He wants it so that the ide doesn't open a window when the same one is already open. So there would be only one instance of that window instead of 2 or 3. He wants the window to come to the front when the button is pressed.

Also, you need to have it so it can create temp exes without saving. This will really bother people.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 00:51
Yeah, kind of, except only one window opens already, just if its already open it doesn't pop to the top.

Sorry, the non-existant file opening does work, but using the recent files method of opening doesn't use error checking.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 01:55
Ok Next these things will be in the next build.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 16:45 Edited at: 31st Dec 2003 16:46
http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/twilight/patch1-0b25.zip EXE and release notes from Latest Build (build 25)

I have also updated the installer so that anyone who downloads it now gets the latest version.

[href]http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/twilight/twilight setup.zip[/href]

Changes made:

Added forms for attaching icons and cursors.

Set it so that all windows should come to the top when you click on their relevant option in the main menu.

Made it possible to compile without saving your project.

Fixed bug with recent files not checking whether a file exists or not.

I have also set up a page for Twilight - its at the URL in my sig.

Hamish, I still wasn't sure what you meant - did you mean that dialogs didn't move to top when you clicked them in the menu?

This should sort the recent files issue and enable compile without saving projects.

Cheers,

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 17:02
Quote: "Set it so that all windows should come to the top when you click on their relevant option in the main menu."

Thats what I meant. I don't have time to dl it now, but I will later.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 08:15 Edited at: 1st Jan 2004 08:57
From what I can see ( I don't have the latest version yet, I have the previouse one ), It is a really good editor.

I especially liek the idea's for the Dll's, where you can remove them, and where you can create your own ( to be added )...

One quirm i have, is the Font selectors for the Syntax Highlighting, you can't specify what is Bold or Italic or Underline ( to the best of my knowledge ), It seems to just do it automatically for you.

Other than that, It's quite a good contender against BLUE IDE at the moment...

Great Work

[EDIT]Ok, I do have another quirm... When you load a DBA source file, It auto capitalises all th ekey words, which is against my style of codeing. Thus, it would be nice to see an option to allow Auto-Capitalization, or Auto-DeCapitalizeation ( ie, make everything lower case on load ), or No-Auto Corrections on load.

Again, I say, this is a great editor, and I have used it alot, but the auto-capitalization makes it hard for me to work as efficiently as in other IDE's.[/EDIT]

[EDIT 2]Yet another suggestion, in all the windows but the code window, there is only a close button, no maximise/minimise/restore button. It is most noticable when accessing the Index through the help menu, since the list is so long, it is rather annoying having to resize the window manually to be able to see a reasonable amount of the text, rather than being able to click a maximise button ( just a comfort really, but a good one at that. )[/EDIT 2]

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 14:49
JessTicular: Thanks very much for your comments.

Auto-Capitalisation: Ok - by next build there will be an option to switch it off.

Font Selection: So you mean you would want to make keywords bold that sort of thing? Ok, should be possible. One for next build.

Maximize buttons: Do you feel you need them on all windows or just the Help browser?

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 15:38
Haven't made the font changes yet but this new build gives you an option to switch the auto capitilize off (in Twilight settings > auto normalize keyword case or something like that) and saves the help browser size and position better - enabling min and max buttons also.

Just download this small file and extract it to replace the EDITOR.exe and release notes.

http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/twilight/patch1-0b26.zip

Note that you will have to switch the capitalize option off before it will prevent the changing of the case....

Cheers

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 18:28
I downloaded the update, and it seems now that every time I close a window (not the code window), the code window maximises. It may be more obscure than that but it happens.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 18:45
Hamish, I was having great difficulty replicating the problem, but I think I've found it...

I wonder that the position and size of the code window has been stored in its maximised state. Do you mind loading twilight, resizing the code window to a more normal size and position then quitting. If I'm right, once you go back into it it will be back to normal...

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 19:41
Worked.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 20:18
Cool - I'll work on an updated version taht stops this from ever occuring...

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 05:53 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2004 05:57
Quote: "Font Selection: So you mean you would want to make keywords bold that sort of thing?"

Yeah, and to make rem's italicised etc

Quote: "Maximize buttons: Do you feel you need them on all windows or just the Help browser?"

Not all, but most windows i think... Especially the ones that can potentially hold alot of data. ie, the function list and the label list etc ( In my current project, the amount of functions go off of the bottom of the function window )

Also, where you have the functions encased in lines, it's a good idea, but it's kind of hard to see where one starts and ends when just scrolling through the code.
It's really hard to distinguish if you have a lot of white space in the function itself, then about the same white space after the function.
mabey you could have something like arrows, showing the side the function is on, or mabey have the encasing lines start after the Function words etc...
ie;

( http://www.freewebs.com/jessticular/images/lines.png )

Or possibly get rid of the lines all together and have function folding, but i imagine that that would be alot harder to impliment.
An option to turn the lines off would be good.

Mabey, you could do something like bookmarks in the original IDE, where a mark is put next to a function in the left bar ( where the line numbers are ) say, and arrow pointing down from the word Function and and arrow pointing up from the word EndFunction

Another thing, when I open up Twilight, it opens a blank project, which is really handy ( good work ).
then, i click Load DBPro Project and it loads the source file, generates the lists for functions and labels etc fine.

But, if i close the blank project, then try to load the very same DBPro Project, nothing changes except the "building Function/label list" load bar apears... then gets to about half way and just hangs... then Twilight stops responding completely.

Here are the source and DBPro Project i got the problem with.

Also, if you have something in your source that has the semi-colon after it ( : ) it is ussually the mark of a label, yes, but, when it's rem'd out, it is still picked up by the label list.

One last thing: If you load a new source file, and you don't already have a source widnow open, a new one isn't created, you have to click Windows >> filename.dba before you get a window containgin the source.

Sorry bout the long post, just trying to help...

Happy New Year !!

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 17:12
Thanks for all your comments. Any help me alot.

Wider font selection: Working on that already.

Distinguishing between start and end of functions: I'm not sure that the codesense control will allow it - however - I will look into it further. Being able to switch them off in options is something I shall certainly put in.

Function folding: I've seen it done - but never that well. In my experience it often causes more trouble than it is worth. If alot of people really feel they need this I will look into it further, but otherwise, I'll leave it for now.

Bookmarks for functions: Hmm, I'll see if I can do that...

Quote: "But, if i close the blank project, then try to load the very same DBPro Project, nothing changes except the "building Function/label list" load bar apears... then gets to about half way and just hangs... then Twilight stops responding completely."

Hmm, sounds like a bug to me. I'll test it out myself and get a resolution to it.

Semi-Colons: Oops, its amazing the things you have to think of. I'll get it sorted.

Loading a new source: Easy enough to fix up. I'll sort that. This is loading a source to add to your project, right?

Thanks again,

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 17:35
Jessticular -

This loading a project after having closed the blank project problem:

Does it come up with a list of functions or labels in the relevant lists?

Can you go to About Twilight and just tell me the version you are using?

Its an odd one - and I don't seem to be able to replicate it but I'll keep looking into it...I have one suspicion. I might do another version to test my theory.

Is it just this project or is it others?

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 19:24
I have run across a few problems...

1. When you open a new file and you have closed the source code window, the source code window stays hidden, I think it should appear.

2. The treeview nodes' text on the code injector can be changed.

3. When clicking anywhere on the code injector for the first time after loading the editor, the dbpro commands node opens. Don't know why.

4. The help bar down the bottom is too thin, you can't see all the text.

5. On the compile window, where error messages are shown, if the message is too long it is cut off.

6. The third party commands bit in the code injector only seems to show the commands from one dll. Maybe you need to check for more than one.

And I have some ideas...

1. In the third party commands node in the code injector, there should be sub-nodes for all the different dlls.

2. F4 should be compile in debug mode. Maybe F6, but I keep accidentely compiling in debug node cos they are close together in the old editor.

Thats it.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 19:36
Thanks Hamish.

1. Already found and sorted out for next build
2. Working on that now
3. I'm not sure why this happens, but I'll try to fix it.
4. That should now be sorted in next build.
5. Just sorted that - well - it should be sorted.
6. Actually it depends on the Dll. Its entirely possible you'll find the Keywords from it in the DBPCommands list, it all depends greatly on the way the keywords.ini file for the dll was set up by the author of the dll, but no-one seems to stick to a fixed pattern so its tricky to catch.

1. I agree - I will revise the way it handles 3Party commands - which will also fix the above problem also.

2. I was thinking of this, F4 you think? Easily done.

Many thanks

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 21:41
A brand spanking new build fixing MOST of the issues you raised. And adding new features. There's still some to do, but I'm on it.

http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/twilight/patch1-0b27.zip

Changes: 1.0.27

Fixed problem with source windows not opening at times that seemed appropriate

Fixed problem where you could have problems if you'd maximized the code window

Fixed bug that enabled you to change the code injectors tags

Made F4 compile in debug mode

Made Help bar bigger

Increased the size of the compiler error label to ensure the whole message could be viewed.

Fixed bug where minimizing code window generated error if you close it after

Increased the fonts you could use enabled Bold Italics etc.

Allowed you to change color bold etc for comments

Amended Window Selection to not hide windows - instead to activate them and bring them to the top.

Put in auto run on compile check box in settings

Put in auto close on compile check box in settings

Set up alternative help mode - which accesses online help for DBPro stored on Eclipse's servers.

Cheers,

I'm glad actually, I seem to be at the stage where the bugs/issues are quite minor rather than showstopping big bugs.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 02:36
The problems I was having are all fixed now, thanks.

But, now, when i hit F5 or go Compiler >> Compile an error pop's up straight away saying:

Compile Error. Error Code:53
File Not Found
<Ok>

And thus, I cannot ompile anything.

I have uniinstalled, and re-installed several times, I have made sure that the directory to the DBPro folder is set, i have set every option i can find, and still, it comes up with the error.

Btw, the Bold and Italics is great, thanks a bunch.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 12:34 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 12:42
That's weird Jess, have you taken away any path from the exe name on the compiler settings? I think this still needs to be fixed. Failing that you can always compile using the menu.

Another thing I have thought of (coming up with these a lot) is that it should remember which windows were open last time the editor was closed and keep the same configuration.

Also needs a right click menu on the code screen with stuff like

- copy
- cut
- paste
- delete
- select all

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 12:47
Hi, Is Twilight crashing out entirely or just coming up with a compiler error?

As Hamish says, do you mind taking out any path in the EXE filename and seeing if that sorts it?

Mind if I take a look at the DBPro file?

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 13:35
Ok, alfter messing around with the settings etc, I noticed that one of the dll's were not selected to be included for compile, so i checked it and it works fine now ( but i forgot look at which dll it was, lol, probably the core.dll )

Sorry bout that.

And yes, a right-click menu would be most useful.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 14:25
Phew! I was worried for a moment.

I want to keep the Dll manager in because it is so useful, but perhaps some kind of warning might be appropriate?

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 14:37
Yeah, here's a list of the needed dll's before it'll allow compile:

compress
Core
DBPro3DSObject
DBProBasic3D
DBProBasic2D
DBProBitmap
DBProCamera
DBProCore
DBProCSGD <-- What's that one anyway?
DBProFile
DBProInput
DBProMatrix
DBProMD2
DBProMD3

Then you could make an option that stops you from deselecting them.

Hope I Helped...

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 14:39
Actually the Dlls needed are dependant on what code you are using. I've been able to compile 2d only stuff without several of those.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 16:34
Brand new build for today. Sorry, I'm doing this every day but whenever I encounter a problem I feel the need to fix it quickly and make a fixed version avaliable. What I will try to do is put in an Online update feature, to save alot of hassle on everybodys part.

Theres a few new features and I think we're getting to the last of the major bugs.

Changes: 1.0.28

Scancode Viewer and Picker functions added

Sourcecode printing added

Redo Function Added

Fixed bug where if you were using a previous version of the ini file it crashed

Fixed bug where if you cancelled out of saving a source code or project when you had just added a new source code the program would crash.

Fixed bug with occasional compiler crashes on "GotoLineNo"

Set lines to begin from 1

Set goto lineno to go to the precise line and not in the general area.

Set F3 to be Find Next

The patched EXE and release notes can be found here:

http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/twilight/patch1-0b27.zip

For anyone that hasn't yet downloaded it the full installer - which I've updated is to be found here:

[href]http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/twilight/twilight setup.zip[/href]

Cheers

Glenn

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 17:02 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 17:38
http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/twilight/patch1-0b28.zip

Sorry put wrong link.

Just a note: I'm still working on the scancodes thing and it currently returns ASCII chars as opposed to scancodes...

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 00:18
I'm doing something wrong
I just re-installed it and I get this error message:
Quote: " Run-Time Error '35602'
Key is not unique in collection "

This comes up right when the exe starts up. There is the settings box up though. I have the lastest build and I installed in the default directory and my dbpcompiler.exe is in the default directory.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 11:42 Edited at: 4th Jan 2004 11:43
I have a suspicion it is to do with keywords ini files. Do you mind telling me what ini files you have in your Dark Basic Professionaleditorkeywords folder so I can find the one that is causing the problem.

If you're on MSN then talk to me at: glenncarter84@hotmail.com and I'll make sure I sort it out there and then.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 16:07
Hi,

I've uploaded all the help pages so the online help feature should now fully work. Switch it on by going to Twilight Settings and selecting USE ONLINE HELP?

Cheers

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 16:33 Edited at: 4th Jan 2004 16:34
It works fine . Nice work GC , should prove a very handy tool. The only thing is that if you hover a REM command and press F1, it crashes the editor. I've added a HANDY HINT to the print statement section.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 15:05:27
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 15:05:27