Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / GCN talk

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 12:14
lol, the GC didn't have final fantasy yet.... it had a secret of mana game with final fantasy slapped on the title for marketing purposes.... not saying it was a bad game, it just wasn't final fantasy.

Same thing with Final Fantasy tactics, not a FF game. Its a front mission game set in a differnt era

But good games none the less.

Come join us in IRC #darkbasic on the irc.chattingaway.com
AKA: Tomassetti13 on LLRGT
AKA: Liquidz_Snake on IRC
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 12:22
Screw all these systems, I love my NeoGeo CD!!

Fraggles where quite the scary lot...
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The fact that Americans like easier, less-challenging, cheap sequels is so true."

Oh. My. God.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 12:30 Edited at: 28th Jul 2004 12:31
@Raven:

Console CPU Graphics RAM
XBox: 733 Mhz 256-bit, 233Mhz 64MB
Gamecube 485 Mhz 128-bit, 162Mhz 40MB
PS2 295 Mhz 128-bit, 150Mhz 40MB

So really, GC is closer to a PS2 than an Xbox. And these are the facts, you can't listen to the hardware producers (like with the TG16, saying it was 16-bit. It was two 8-bits running sync).

EDIT: Hmmm, won't let me space out the above. Well this is the format:
(CPU speed)(Graphics card,graphics card speed)(Ram)

Fraggles where quite the scary lot...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 14:00
Quote: "lol, the GC didn't have final fantasy yet.... it had a secret of mana game with final fantasy slapped on the title for marketing purposes.... not saying it was a bad game, it just wasn't final fantasy"

http://ffcc.nintendo.com ... hmm, really?

SSC.. Process MHz means nothing.
I have an Athlon64 FX-51 in my machine. It runs at 1.8 GHz, it can out perform a Pentium IV 3.2 GHz HyperThreading Extreme Edition Processor with relative ease.

The X-Box Processor is 32-bit (X86-32bit), it's graphics Processor is 128-bit. (the GeforceFX was the first 256bit card from NVIDIA).
133MHz DDR Front Side Bus. (233MHz FSB)

Gamecube's Processor is also 32-bit (PPC-405 32-bit), it's graphics processor is the 256-bit Radeon based LSI.

Playstation2 is the only true 128-bit Processor out of the lot (TX79-B 128-Bit 'Emotion' Processor). Again DDR runs on 148 MHz FSB.

The X-Box has 233MHz (PC-1800) 64MB Ram, 10ns Response Time
The Gamecube has 162MHz T1-SRAM 40MB Ram, 10ns Response Time (however is Cast into the LSI, so where the XBox has to bridge through the AGP at a max of 1.1GB/sec through the FSB, the GC can do this 1.3GB/sec)
Playstation2 has 148MHz T1-SRAM 20MB System, 20MB Graphics. 10ns Response Time. (again cast into the LSI)

Processor MHz and Ram Sizes mean nothing.
PS2 and GC use the Ram as Buffers, XB uses it as Cache.
These totally different uses mean that the system *MUST* cache anything it is using on the XB... so you have 64MB Per Scene.
The GameCube and PS2 are buffers meaning you have 40MB Per Second.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 14:07
Quote: "http://ffcc.nintendo.com ... hmm, really?
"

I meant gameplay wise... and what i was saying about SoM with FF slapped on the title was a joke reffering to the supposed "Final Fantasy Legends" on the original Gameboy.

Come join us in IRC #darkbasic on the irc.chattingaway.com
AKA: Tomassetti13 on LLRGT
AKA: Liquidz_Snake on IRC
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 14:34
Ahh... gameplay wise.
Yeah suppose your right, which is kinda why I'm looking forward to FFXI, oh yeah and FF VII-2; heard about that last week 'officially' and i'm kinda jazzed about it.
The story is one of my favourites of all time ^_^

Thing is I think Square for thier first Nintendo outing in like what, a decade wanted to make something unique and rememberable.
It is a very unique and fun game... but not FF really and truely.
Even more annoying is you can't complete it on your own.

Myself and my bro had to combine games to complete it.
Now that Square have thier feet wet in Nintendo though, odds on we're going to see some very very good games again from them.

Final Fantasy is made by a seperate entity in Square-Enix; so is really a style of it's own

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 17:15
Quote: "-: Controller is not the best for many types of games"

It's very nice though

Quote: "-: Not many games"

Personally I've never found the lack a big problem - I wonder what the stats are like when people remove any games that are also on the PC?

Quote: "-: Basically no online games (except PSO)"

Agreed. But I do most online game on my computer / laptop, where the internet is lightning fast adn can be played anywhere using wifi Rather than buying one of those dodgy massive controllers just to type messages!
IMO Online gaming is the preserve of the PC. Even though I have broadband I've never bothererd to buy a modem / run a telephone half way across the house just to play a subscription game.

Quote: "-: Some games need two or more GBA and tons of link cables to be fun"

One

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
The Dark Padawan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 01:27
Raven, YOUR MY HERO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Nintendo GameCube is the best"
"I'm back! and Darker than ever!!!"
Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 13:24
Has anyone besides me, played he rogue squadron games?

Im with stupid...
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 18:55
Quote: "http://ffcc.nintendo.com ... hmm, really?"

I rented that, it was fun, but it definitely wasn't Final Fantasy. Same name, same characters, same trend of reinventing battle system..........but it skipped out a little on story and the fact that you couldn't have npcs as party members was a little disappointing. An extremely fun game, but I quench my Final Fantasy thirst elsewhere.

I know you could compress your files and do away with things to make graphics on Xbox/Gamecube the same (not even counting ps2 in graphics competition.......), but then wouldn't that just leave more space on the Xbox disc?

Personally, I like the original big old Xbox controllers, because I'm a piano player with big hands and a wide spread. I also like the analog sticks better, I like to play shooters so the C stick just messes me up. If they could make Gamecube controllers bigger, and fix that darned C stick, they would be perfect.

For games...Xbox has a few gems (Halo, KOTOR, Crimson Skies, and a few others), but Nintendo consistently pumps out creative new ideas.

Software Winner=Gamecube
Hardware Winner=Xbox
Marketing/Business Winner=PS2 (the sales don't lie)

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Nameless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 08:22
Quote: "Has anyone besides me, played he rogue squadron games?"

Yep great games.

Quote: "It's very nice though "

definitely

Quote: "Gamecube = ~83million Units"

Holy crap I never knew that many were sold.

And I must say that it looks like The NGC has the best line up of games coming.
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 11:45 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2004 11:51
the gamecube and the XBOX are completely different architectures. the XBOX is set up almost exactly like a PC, which is, sadly, not the bast layout for games. oh sure it's fine if you have a ridiculously fast processor and the most advanced video card on the market at the time, but i mean really - the GC is almost half the price of the XBOX and performs nearly as well. not only that but the video card is not even on the same level as a PC card - it is beyond a tricked out 9700. it has buffers and texturing options not even available on most video cards. which is part of the reason why it's just so damn hard to emulate

personally i don't really see why they make consoles so "uncrackable". they are always cracked anyway (nintendo did a particularly good job with the GC but did they really think it was bulletproof?).

what i think they should do is make a console that truly is a "developer's system" unlike the nintendo DS (developer's system as long as you pay big money to the big N). you might say "well that's why we have computers", but really - programming for a console only vaguely resembles that of programming for a computer. there is no OS to get in the way. there are no spec differences (don't have to have different rendering paths for obsolete hardware). it's usually a kickass system when it comes down to it. did i mention no OSes? it would be great to have a console that was open for development but still had "commercial" games. people *obviously* want to develop for the systems, or else they wouldn't be trying to hack into it and figure out what makes it tick. it doesn't make much sense to have developers developing for a console when they've never had the opportunity to do so before!

the new zelda damn well better be 2 discs. i felt pretty gypped after beating all 5 tiny, easy levels in wind waker. wind waker was a fun game - don't get me wrong. the graphics really grew on me after a while (especially when you look for the details - ever notice that the constellations are in the correct positions in the sky depending upon what date you have the GC set to?). it was so full of life and interesting characters, and the battleship game guy was about the funniest thing i've seen in a game in a long while. but as far as the game itself.. it left me feeling a little.. thirsty. thankfully i also got the OOT: master quest disc

that's right. DBP fanboy through and through. SEXAAAAAAY
Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 11:58
That would be cool to ahve a developers system, I mean, the consoles will never out sell a computer, I mean come on. But that is an extremely interesting idea, if they came out with a developers system, you can bet your ass im gonna get it.

Im with stupid...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:28:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:28:31