Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Manhunt video game blamed for Murder!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Just saw on the news that Manhunt has been blamed for the murder of a boy. Someone copied the brutal murders in the game. I can't find any official news on the web. I can give you a link to a review......

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/manhunt/preview_6091164.html

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 03:44
lol. First Quake 3 now this. I can´t wait to get the hang of 3d, then I´ll show them politicaly un-correct.

Jam on mother f**ker.
Libera tu mente y te liberaras.
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 04:04 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 04:07
I saw that article too. I'll tell you what pissed me off the most though....

Reporter: Experts say that games such as this one [Manhunt] blur the lines between fantasy and fiction and can be attributed to violent behaviour

Psychologist: If someone is disturbed enough .... <snip>

The media will gloss over the "expert's" qualification of this possibility, in that you need to be "disturbed" before you go out and brutally murder people. If someone's disturbed enough, you can't legislate for sh*t. How on earth can you cater for a potential "disturbed" demographic? Has anyone considered that games can satisfy someones murderous tendencies, rather than create them?

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 04:05 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 04:08
OK

This is officialy the stupidest idea for a game to date. People have it in for Doom, while this game makes Doom look like an educational program.

EDIT: and I agree with the guy above. Look's like just another boring repetetive game that relies too heavly on violence.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 04:50 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 04:51
and because of games like this they will start putting restrictions on what kinds of games can be made

games like this don't create violent people...they satisfy them...(or at least they're idea of satisfaction...)

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 05:44
If you're screwed up enough to go out and kill someone, you're going to do it no matter what games you play or what films you watch or what music you listen to. People who blame the media should take their heads out of their arses - people were murdering other people before games were around, and where do they think the ideas for the games came from - they came from someones head, they werent generated by a computer or anything.

If you enjoy violence then you are going to either be violent in real life, or in a game (as a form of catharsis style thing)

Having said that, after playing GTA3 for too long, I have been surprised when the cars I'm in HAVEN'T swerved in front of motorbikes to knock the owners off - does that invalidate my previous points ?

Am I the only one here who's really confused?
Gazzaden
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 05:52 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 05:56
I think this all to do with a persons initial mental state. No sane individual, no matter how much they are exposed to this kind of thing is going to kill because they saw it in game. This child clearly had some problems, that the parents had failed to notice. Now that he has gone off the rails, they seem to want to shirk their own responsibility. Furthermore, and perhaps more importantly, what is a 13 year old doing playing a game that is rated for 17+? Personally, I find such a game distasteful, and I excercise my choice to not play it. The parents clearly should have had closer control over their kids activities. Hell, when I was 13 there is no way in a million years my parents would have allowed me to play such a game.

Edit: here's a link

http://scotlandtoday.scottishtv.co.uk/content/default.asp?page=s1_1_1&newsid=4563

Gazzaden
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 05:59 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 06:00
This is a big argument in the industry and alot of the sides make thier points. In my opinion, games are only as screwed up as the person who plays them. If you have no problem in seperating people from thier heads in UT2003 then it's okay. Violence in games usually ISN'T THE POINT OR INTENT of the game (unlike Man Hunt) and is there for a reason. A fanatsy RPG just wouldn't feel authentic if you weren't aloud to hold swords and had to politly ask monsters & dragons to move the f*** over so you can take thier gold. It's stupid to try to make kids think violence doesn't exist, and it's just something in movies and game, when violence is indeed part of the real world. Games are made to tell a story and to suck the player into a virtual world away from his/her boring normal lives and let them be someone else for a short time. Not to run around the place shooting innocent people, blow buildings up and just be a general a$$hole.

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 06:07
Quote: "Furthermore, and perhaps more importantly, what is a 13 year old doing playing a game that is rated for 17+?"

The problem is, I played games that were rated 17+ aswell. Ye know, Doom, quake, soldier of fortune, half-life, etc.
My brother and nephews play those games aswell. And I don't see them running with a gun, shooting everybody, the next day. It's the persons fault, not the game.

Click web-button below
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 06:10
Can you please change your signatures - they are way too big.

I came, I saw and I forgot all about it... or something...
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 06:16
Yea, but keep the girl on the right.

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 06:42 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 06:42
Why should I, I mean, it's 120 pixels high. Magellans's 125 pixels high. And the length is allmost the same as picho's sig.

Btw, its signature, not signatures

Click web-button below
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 07:11
Well if there's more then *one* sig then it's "signatures". You'll learn that later on in grade 2.

And Pincho's an expeption. He has a kick ass sig.

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 07:19
No, if you go to the profile page, and type 2 images and some text in the Signature box, it's still called a signature. The box-name doesnt change to signatures

Click web-button below
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 07:33

shutup.

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 07:37
Gotcha.

Anyway, I'll upload a smaller version of my sig tomorrow.

Click web-button below
Gazzaden
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm, this thread was not about signatures....?

Gazzaden
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
i personally think that manhunt is a worthless piece of crap game that just uses explicit violence to cover up what little gameplay it has. it's sad to see dev houses resorting to a game based entirely around violence. i personally think that there should be no "excuse" for this game. while it may not have "caused" the kid to kill his friend, i still don't understand why people would stand up for it.

that's right. DBP fanboy through and through. SEXAAAAAAY
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 13:07
For f*cks sake, sometimes people are blind and stupid.

Manhunt is Rated mature (or 18+ for those of you who don't know). Thus it is for A mature 18+ audience. So if this game is for a Audience that is not 14 yr old cave dwellers, why the hell is it being played by him. The parents must of known of the violent content on the game.

Now this kids parents want to push it onto Rockstar? Where do they get the right to say "Oh we let him play the game, but the devoloper of the game should be punished." I think the parents should be paying more attention to they're kid.

Quote: "i personally think that manhunt is a worthless piece of crap game"

I will admit, gameplay wise, it blew.

Quote: " that just uses explicit violence to cover up what little gameplay it has."

Explicit violence is the game, the reason it was created, and the reason it sells. Why don't people understand that.

Quote: "it's sad to see dev houses resorting to a game based entirely around violence."

And your saying that the creators of games like Half-Life, Doom, Halo, Max Payne, Command and Conquer, Starcraft, Final Fantasy, Killswitch, GTA, Roller Coaster Tycoon (ever made a faulty roller coaster killing all the passengers?), Sim City (disasters kill and leave people homeless), Pacman (you eat and kill the ghosts, right?) and about every other game on the market isn't.

If i'm not mistaken all First Person Shooters are Violent and they're creators intended them to be that way.

What i am getting to is that violence is a part of the world. People must learn to accept it as inevitable. All these video games are trying to do is to let us get our violent tendancys out. So what, 1 outta 1,000,000 other players of manhunt kills someone. How do we know he wasn't persuaded to kill the 13yr old because he played whack a mole (he did beat him in the head with a hammer you know ).

They are going after manhunt because of the rockstar connection. Rockstar being a violent video game dev house. Remember the supposed GTA killings and Carjackings a year or so back. Why was it not true crime streets of LA, or the getaway that caused that.

Only one game company gets to see the "You caused my kid to kill that kid" spotlight. The others get to slide away. F*cking Bullsh*t if ya ask me.

Come join us in IRC #darkbasic on the irc.chattingaway.com
AKA: Tomassetti13 on LLRGT
AKA: Liquidz_Snake on IRC
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 16:03
I can tell you this much, after playing that game I felt I wanted to kill myself, it is honestly the crappest game I have ever played. After finding out I couldn't return it because the 'Shit-factor' was too high, I literally snapped the CD and fried it along with the box it came in.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 19:26
Quote: "Pacman (you eat and kill the ghosts, right?) "

How do you kill ghosts?, well, pacman can do everything.

Its utterly insane, ELSPA didnt take long to step in and defend the industry. The problem with the country today is the moronic general public. I love the quote from men in black "A person is smart, people are dumb and loud". Hehe, if she blames the game, then does she blame the kid?

The 3d chat is coming...
In the meantime, come in the IRC. Ask me for details!!.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 19:39 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 19:42
Violent computer games are no more to blame for violent crime than violent films and television shows. Television has a lot to answer for in lowering social standards of accepteable behavior.

The New Zealand government has banned Manhunt, but has it also banned television, film, printed media, books, and the internet?

No it hasn't. It's wielding dual standards and it is doing so because it is miss-informed and reacting to the 40+ conservative womens pressure groups !

This is a country that teaches all it's school children how to handle a gun incase they ever need too, and they complain when someone committs a murder with a pick axe? They should count themselves lucky that the police at least maintain a firepower advantage over the suspect !

EDIT: I was shot at earlier this year by a sub-machine gun wielding gang recruitee. He tried to empty two clips of ammunition into me, luckily for me the Mac-10 is not the most accurate gun and has quite a strong recoil, in his in-experienced hand it was completely innacurate.

However, I would like to make the point that the Mac-10 sub machine gun appears in numerous Hollywood films and television shows, i'd like them all banned please. Aswell as any other film that features a firearm being wielded by a civilian, or features any kind of gang.

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
whats worse is that its normally the publishers the put preasure into the develoepers about what the game should be like, and sometimes have more control over it than the auther.

i read about it in develop issue 41 page 6

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 20:17
I played Manhunt. Repetitive, but the part where the physics comes in becomes entertaining (lmao, magnetic crane and fridge). The violence factor is the only reason why I bought it. The RE and SH series weren't close to violent, just bizaare. The game is crap, but if they mix the graphics and violence factor with GTA's gameplay, I'd think about it...

Quote: "he did beat him in the head with a hammer you know"

One of the teachers in my school was murdered - crowbar to the head. Hey, let's blame Half-Life!

Frankly, I don't see the connection between the violent games and violent behavior. There was a time when 3D VR was used to "cure" people from fear of heights (whatever buzz word they use for that), and cool thing is, there are people who testified that it works. Video games can be effective as therapy material.

Stupidity still contributes to majority of the deaths nowadays, some of them happening indirectly.

vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 22:01 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 23:01
I remember this type of thing in the Music Insdustry when Judas Priest were blamed for encouraging the sucides of 1 or 2 teenage boy's and the ultra conservative s are trying to do it again with PC games, besides Manhunt is 18 certificate so if anything, the grieving mother should blame the parents, if they are to blame, for buying that video game in the 1st place secondly I don't think someone could be that stupid as to imitate murders because of a game, scratch the surface and I think there is more going on than that.

As per ususal, the censor eveything brigade need something to blame and PC games are coming under that medium. Thousands of peopl play PC 1st person shooters and don't go out out and kill someone just because they play that game. More excuses again , especailly as there are tons of murderers out there that don't play PC games and do the most brutal and heniuos things to people without games.

As a few Dictators o the 20th Century did but we live in the world of the PC hypocrite who doesn't mind really extreme and violent films but woa betide any developer making anything like Manhunt for the PC I mean wasn't the "Running Man" on which this game was based just as violent (burning women to death with flamethrowers anyone?) so, why doesn't the court case go after Schwarcznegger or the producers of the flim, all crap in my view and not going after the real culprits, the parents who allowed this kid to buy this 18 certificate game.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 22:11
We Came home and found our son lying dead on his bed of a gunshot wound,He had his headphones on and there was an Ozzy record on the turntable,So we called our lawyer.

Stupidity.

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree actaurus , stupidity indeed, and also these ultra conservaties avoid looking into their own lives or thier kids problems and instead shove responsibilty onto someone else
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 23:57
A year back or so I had to present an essay in front of the whole school about the Colorodo schoo massacure. And let me tell you, during my research, I found endless sources that blamed videogames for the whole thing. They assumed the boys got really pumped playing
[insert game that contains violence here] and went out to radnomly end some lives. But that isn't the truth.

First of all, it was the state's fault, for allowing children to carry guns in the first place (hunting club my ass) and second it was bullying at school that made them so angry and caused them to do it. They could have seen it anyware. Movies, the media...etc

Kenomica_deleted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 03:59 Edited at: 30th Jul 2004 04:04
I actualy think Manhunt is a good game, it takes a long time to get to the point where the story kicks in BUT there is actualy a story eventualy and c'mon, i'm 14 years old, i play manhunt and you dont see me killing anyone! Games dont kill people, people kill people. He must have been disturbed and ready to do something as horific as murder BEFORE he played that game. I play 18 and 15 rated games all the time but i would never kill a person! Games are nothing like reality, there is no one who is confused about what is on their games console and what is happening outside of their house! He must have been mentaly ill in the first place. The guy he killed was his best friend! They were best friends for so many years and he just killed him, i mean what the hell happened!? And also Was this guy 14 or 17 because the news report says this "Police say 14-year-old Warren Le Blanc had an obsession with the violent Manhunt game" and then says "Seventeen year-old Warren Le Blanc often played the controversial and violent game with his friend, 14 year old Stefan Pakeerah."

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 04:28 Edited at: 30th Jul 2004 04:33
Grief. If violent computer games really made you want to go out and kill people (where before you would have baked a cake) then we would have millions of murders every day. The damn things sell like crazy.

It's the same thing every few years though. Hopefully won't return to green blooded zombies (or even robots!!!) though....

Lets see, I wake up and watch a load of stories about terrorism etc on the news, drive to work while listening to more such stories, and various rock songs (eg. Metallica etc). Then we get various gory emails throughout a normal day. I return from work quite tired and play some violent game, plus maybe read a violent horror book or watch a horror/ violent film. Judging by the last few decades of people getting their knickers in a knot I should be stabbing the eyeballs out of small children by bedtime.

Always makes me laugh when they play rock songs backwards at a tenth the speed... "Mufflddburg, slurphenbox, blooprrrsss"... "Yes! If you listen carefully it is saying worship Satan and kill your mother!". Heh.

What makes me want to wipe out a whole host of daily characters is basically 1. Work itself (after a decade or so, programming can get a bit annoying) 2. The drive to work (AAAAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!!) 3. Slough (see the office). Apart from that you can raise the terrible scarey games all you want, I wouldn't hurt a fly. On the other hand, if I could get hold of some real guns then maybe things would be different. But not because of any computer games. Heh, different "Michael Moore" type argument though that one.

Cheers

Oh yeah, and when I bought a Dell laptop in the week, the website declared that some parts came from America and being exported to here. Would this PC be exported from the UK? Nope. Ok, well then will it be used in the creation/ maintenance of weapons of mass destruction? For f**ks sake.... wish I was a rocket engineer now. Would have been fun explaining why I said yes to the army of armed police that would turn up at your door. Maybe they thought I would stupidly say yes and that would explain where Iraq had been hiding their bombs (yes, Reading, near London....). Bit like DVD backup software asking if the DVD is a rental or borrowed (like even if it was you would actually say yes).

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 19:59
It's ridiculous. You guys remember when after 9/11 they started thinking "How do terrorists know how to fly planes into skyscrapers?" then they start pointing fingers at MS Flight Simulator?

Somebody wrote in an article pro-violent games that "people who play these games are more likely to fall asleep after many long hours of fragging than go out and kill someone", amen.

Anybody remember that spoof MAVAV website?

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 20:37
Quote: "I can´t wait to get the hang of 3d, then I´ll show them politicaly un-correct."

@MIR You don't don't need to learn 3D to do that. You just have to show people your signature image!

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 21:55
One thing that I have noticed some of you say, is that the greiving mother should be blaming the parents of the killer for buying and allowing the kid to play Manhunt.

I don't see why she should blame the parents for that...
What she should be blaming them for, however, is the constant beating, verbal violence between spouses, general aggressiveness, possible mental illness ( such as ADD etc ) and/or encouragement to be violent for the kid.

Like has been said, no "normal" kid in today's society simply grows up to be a murderer with game's influencing them ( sure, if they were locked in a room since birth with Manhunt and a PS2 for 17 years, fine, but that just doesn't happen ), it is the society around them and the people they know/interact with that promote violence in their lives. If this kid had been shown compasion, and loving by his parents, and they had given him rules as to what he could watch on TV/play on the PS2/particapate in with relation to violence then I'm 80% sure he wouldn't have repeatedly bashed his skull in with a hammer, and stabbed him...
( the other 20% is accounting for mental disabilities ).

And to prove this, if you think about it, about what he did to the other kid... He got a hammer, and hit him with it. Think of what that would be like, Peronally, I can't stomach things like that, and I feel quite ill if I dwell on it for too long, but just give it a thought, the kid looked at him, raised his hand with the hammer in it, and brought it down, crushing whatever it hit. The sound, and the blood, etc etc, would be enough to make me curl into a ball.
But, this kid didn't stop there, where a "normal" person would be thowing up all over the place, no, he kept going, and got a knife, and broke his skin with it.

A game doesn't show you the brutality of this.
Sure, it's "gorey" and it looks "realistic" but, it doesn't smell, it doesn't sound right, and polygons don't fall off a real person when you beat their heads in with a hammer.

The game cannot be to blame for this, nor can the game creators ( who, btw, quite clearly placed a warning on the box, and then it was even public knowledge about the severity of the violence involved [ media ] ), it is the parents who introduced their child to violence, you didn't teach their kid that punching someone is wrong, and should not be done.
It is they who should be blamed for what thier kid, the person they "raised", did.

*ahem*
Sorry for the long post.

***** In Summary *****
It just annoys me the way people do this.
I'm with you lot

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 22:38
This is Disgusting.

I can't believe someone would do that, you would have to be mentally
ill.

Quote: "I can't stomach things like that, and I feel quite ill if I dwell on it for too long"

Me too jess, i've got quite a bad stomach ache now.

I've heard you guys saying that no person just grows up becoming mentally ill. This is untrue, there has been studies about this. Psychopaths are sometimes born. One murderer showed signs of anger and violence when he was very young. When he was 7 he got into an argument with his older brother and bit his finger off. He was always cruel to animals, one time strangling his pet rabbit. He was charged with the rape and murder of his wife. A scan of his brain took place, and he was differnet mentally.

There is a certain something in your brain, not sure what its called, Which is used to calm you down. It is let out into your bloodstream when you are angry. Some people have a problem in their brain where this Stuff isn't let out when your angry. a Classic example of this condition can be found in mike tyson. he has this condition, and was accused for rape, and is, in my opinion, a psycopath.

This, i think, would be the reason for such horrific crimes such as rape or murder. Mental Illness. Not video Games.

I can understand these peoples point of view though. My brother borrowed GTA3 fro a friend behind my Mother and Fathers back (we are not allowed games like this). a week later he tried to stab another kid at school. My brothers and i are being brought up in a perfectly loving and caring environment. We are tought not to be violent unless in self defence (I've been boxing since i was five. I'm 12 now). I just hope my brother is not one of these people with brain defects.

Anyways,
Cya Later,
Axelman

This Space for rent
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 22:58
The parents of the murdered kid have called for a ban on all violent games according to a paper i was delivering this morning. Stuff affects certain people more than others, if your shielded from violent things some people may react strangely when given the opportunity to be violent, or if your over-exposed to violence the same effect may take place on an individual. It all depends how your brain works...

DBP Fanboy is a Unregistered trademark of ReD_eYe uninteractive, no rights reserved.
http://redeye.dbspot.com/fanboy.html
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 23:15
Honestly don't get wound up by it:

1. Rockstar made the game deliberately to be controversial, im surprised it didnt happen sooner.
2. The people who pulled the game in dixons, game and currys never played a game in their life.
3. Newspapers like good stories where there is no definite proof either side of the arguement because the arguement can then go on for ages.

Altogether it makes for some easy column inches for the next couple of weeks and a lot of chat on talk radio. And soon you won't
be able to buy a copy of Manhunt anywhere legitimately so you'll see 2nd hand copies going for double the price of new ones on Ebay. Because unless the government officially ban you can sell copies for as much as you like. I tried play.com and you can't get it there either...

PROJECTS:
Cyberbowl (70% done)
Alien Aware (10% done)
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 03:41
before a computer ever graced any teenagers bedroom we had this thing called TV, they used to show an advert where this guy would do all sort of James Bond type stunts to deliver a box of Milk Tray chocolates to his girlfriend, one of the stunts was jumping onto a moving train, there was a massive outcry when some kid killed himself trying to emulate the advert, the sad thing was he had bought the box of chocolates for his Mum for mothers day, sad, but he obviously was too young to realise that jumping onto the roof of an intercity express from a foootbridge is not possible.
likewise we had this series (Gerry Anderson) called Captain Scarlett, he was a (puppet) guy who the nefarious Martians had tried to make into a agent for their own ends, but he had too much willpower, so despite being indestructible like his enemy captain Black, he fought on the side of the good guys, they had to start adding a voiceover at the end of the program by series two, saying, "remember, captain Scarlett is indestructable, you are not, do not attempt to do any of the things that he does" just becuase some kids decided after watching a few series that getting run down by cars etc wasn`t fatal.
it`s a pity that someone of a more stable mentality had to suffer for this mindless cretin, but in the words of the fathers telegram in swallows and amazons "if idiots, will drown. no loss. if not idiots. all well" (his reply to mothers query as to the advisability of allowing them a boat to sail in the Norfolk Broads), my point being (I get accused of being obtuse sometimes), it makes no difference if you are raised in a bad or good environment, it`s all down to what sort of person you are and if you are actualy firing on all cylinders, I know people who have almost nothing that I would trust to hold my possesions for me indefinitly, then again I wouldn`t give my boss my coat to hold if I had to jump in a river to save a baby, I`d jump in with the coat on , it`s the people who do these things, not the books, the TV, the Games, the movies or your membership of the local gun club, it`s the people, they are gonna do something like that with or without any prompting from media.
and just as an aside, are there a reported rise in lots of complicated and elaboratly planned cou`s and robberies by strategy game players?, do final fantasy players go around the local shopping centeres hitting each other alternatly and working out how ill they feel?, do you see kids jumping from truss to truss chaseing monkeys on the local construction site?, or is it that these kids playing lamer software like the aformentioned manhunt, are mentaly unstable and gonna kill somebody sometime anyway? we have had a local thing where a kid stabbed a schoolmate to death, he wasn`t into video games, just the leader of the school bullies trying to be "hard", bet he feels "hard" now, he got life, if he was into playing ANY of the current video games, bet the local yokels would have blamed that and not the kid (where the blame actualy rests)

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 05:47
If the kid was that influenced by a game and had been forced to watch Barbara Windsor instead do you think he'd have:

A) Gone on a murderous rampage in defence of left of centre anti-liberal middle class citizens everywhere.

B) Gone on a barbaric rampage of beastiality with a fancy for dogs.

C) Miraculously turned out as a respectable middle class citizen with a wife, 2.5 children, and a dog called Rover.

I'm guessing C was never really on the cards.

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 08:05
Please listen to this with an open mind

This boy was not a violent person before playing the game, and that's what is causing controversy with this paticular game - Manhunt. The murder *was* influenced by Manhunt, the boy admitted to it and his friends confirmed he was obsessed with it. His family did not know about the game's content.

I think the game should be banned, it was needlesly violent (and crap) and the publishers were a bit irresponsible for publishing it. Of course people playing it are going to become more violent... We're just as bad as everyone else for trying to shift the blame to the TV mediums... I think the whole entertainment industry does need to clean up it's act.

Comments welcome, open for debate.

Dumbo - full game now FREEWARE... coming November 1st

http://www.ddrw.dbspot.com/new
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 08:33
I think that anyone that can be influenced by a game that much must have had some kinda dormant mental defect. But I do think that the game is unintelligent, it's just a money grab. But it shouldn't be banned, people put alot of work into that game, and should get the $ they deserve. Anyway, it doesn't matter that much anyway, in Iraq someone dies every second, how much does one kid really matter.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 09:48 Edited at: 31st Jul 2004 09:51
Quote: "people put alot of work into that game"

Yes, I hate to see fresh talent wasted on crap like that. Rockstar games is indeed a very very succesful and talented developer. They could do better then this.

I'm basiclly with everyone who says ManHunt is a dumb game. The fact that it's all about murder and watching people get slaughtered is what attracts teens to it. I heard many of my classmates are in to it as well. There are loads of better games out there. BOoo!

And jessticular, you think thats creepy? A boy in my town was nearly killed at the park with several stabs to the head with a screwdriver. (which is even worse. Having to go through that and all) I mean with a hammer, you would probably get knocked unconsiounes the first 1 or 2 hits.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 12:52
Quote: "And jessticular, you think thats creepy? A boy..."

Urgg, that's bad.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 15:16
Quote: " His family did not know about the game's content.
"

I'm sorry, but if I had a kid tell me "I'm going to my room to play "Manhunt""(this based on the title of the game.... nothing else) I'm gonna question about the content of the game.

Come join us in IRC #darkbasic on the irc.chattingaway.com
AKA: Tomassetti13 on LLRGT
AKA: Liquidz_Snake on IRC
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 15:59
Like Jess mentioned before, if the parents had been involved with the kid they would have noticed he had been obsessed with this incredibly violent videogame and would(or better put, should?)have stepped in and pulled the plug on the PS2 and talked to him and maybe even went to counselling with him if he was really getting on the edge.

Sony stole our name!
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 01:18
Personally I don't think the game is to blame at all, I just think its a way for the family to try to come to terms with the event by displacing the blame onto something else.

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
Leon J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 05:27
Manhunt is tripe! I remember them talking on the news, I was naushes, the news guy was mad, that game is horrible! It has GRAPHIC violence, and very bad language (so I read, I don't want to play it!) SUE RACKSTAR!!! BAN THE GAME!!! CALL THE ESRB!!! GIVE ME SOMETHING NICE!!!

We must get rid of COunt olof, help me waste him. The eye of Olaf is on his ankle, and hehas a unibrow, shiny eyes, dirty, and want to get the Baudelaire fortune!!!!!!!!!!!@
Leon J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 05:33
I would only punch/kick etc. for self defense! Not to kill somin! I took karate once, but I quit.

We must get rid of COunt olof, help me waste him. The eye of Olaf is on his ankle, and hehas a unibrow, shiny eyes, dirty, and want to get the Baudelaire fortune!!!!!!!!!!!@
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 07:30
Quote: "Capture Count Olaf then ILL tell you!"
Who?

Quote: "Manhunt is tripe! I remember them talking on the news, I was naushes, the news guy was mad, that game is horrible! It has GRAPHIC violence, and very bad language (so I read, I don't want to play it!) SUE RACKSTAR!!! BAN THE GAME!!! CALL THE ESRB!!! GIVE ME SOMETHING NICE!!!"
You sound very immature(unless your joking). Are you really Z in disguise.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, his family should have known, the thing is , who bought the game for this kid? it had to be someone older, also, I am sure he showed signs of being disturbed a lot longer before this game was produced or made or sold.

I think this call to clean up the entertainment indstry is bogus, how about cleaning up parts oflife hmmmmmmm? violence and shockingly brutal violence has been around for centuries and it will always be here, We are lucky we haven't seen a massive nuclear war , yet.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 06:57
Why don't we just pull Arnold Schwarzennegger out of office as well.

Have you ever seen The Terminator, or Total Recall? Those movies would certainly get some people going murder happy. Also, any history books containing information about Jack the Ripper and other murders should be burned, and should no longer be produced.
Movies about events such as D-Day, the Holocaust, World War I/II in general, the Vietnam War, and Blackhawk Down should also be removed from store shelves.

Sarcasm of course.

It's just completely unrealistic. I stabbed myself with a toothpick the other day, am I going to go around protesting against toothpick companies asking them to make their toothpicks thicker and stop sharpening them? Of course not.

Whenever a new industry comes into the world for about 40-50 years people spend their whole lives trying to eradicate them from the planet. Look at television, it's still here and more disturbing than ever, yet the blame has shifted from TV to videogames. Something else will come out in the future to take the blame.

Sony stole our name!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:36:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:36:58