Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Anyone got Doom3 actually playing smoothly?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 11:51 Edited at: 15th Aug 2004 12:22
Is 3DMark 03 free or any version of 3DMark?

[EDIT]NVM there is and I downloaded it.

[EDIT]My score is 1110.

-Ilya
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 20:55 Edited at: 15th Aug 2004 21:02
Anyone know how to get past the two monsters near the end of Delta Labs Sector 4 ? There isn't enough room to swing a cat let alone dodgy much - things like that make the game irritating.

Never mind - I managed to get both monsters to go down one side, as opposed to one on each side...

Come to the UK Convention on the 23rd & 24th of October
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 23:23
Must admit, I'm now fed up with it - the main problem being the hellhole level - run out of ammo, and so cant destroy the floating light things to destroy the monster. Very badly designed.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 23:25
yeah! these spawn of hell can be irritateing, won`t fight fair, jump you in the dark and pick on you when you are at a disadvantage, they don`t play fair at all (must be something to do with being denizens of hell) had to stop playing for a while since my mouse hand is in pain , been at it for near on 12hrs solid so far, some nice touches in places, if you hear a female voice say "follow me" or "help me" you might be well advised to do so , some creepy touches in places

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 00:20
I've not had an ammo problem yet, each monster has a weak spot... you aim for it they die quickly some even in a single shot.

I've found the shotgun at point-blank aimed at monsters heads, doesn't matter what one seems to do wonders for ammo conservation.
Plasma gun is best against lost souls, and the machine/grenades for the marines and spider things.

Quote: "[EDIT]My score is 1110."

From a P4 3GHz HT Processor!? Although there are a number of things which make the 3D Mark Score really a complete waste of time conserning Doom3 (namely it tells you your DirectX speed and Doom3 is OpenGL based), I refuse to believe that even my current system optimised is outperforming yours.

I get 1,400 3DMarks in '03 440 (using 56.72 not checked since then)
Which is on a 1GHz Celeron / 512MB PC133 / Geforce FX 5200 64MB

I do have my Geforce set to Ultra mode and overclocked to 380MHz / 550MHz (Stock 250/400) but that only gives me a very minor speed boost. (about 5-10fps in most apps)

Considering I can run the game at the exact same speed on
Low Quality - 640x480 - No Options & High Quality - 1024x768 - Full Options (cept AA)... I believe that my processor is what is actually holding back my graphics card.
Which is low bsp detail areas and areas with low polygons I generally get a healthy 30fps.
(for saying my cpu is a good 1/3 the power set for min, i'd say thier probably bang on the money this time)

funny thing is for a laugh i moved the FX over to the Duron 800 system i was using as a server point and my fps actually went up a bit (useless Celeron chips lol)

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 00:26
Anyone know how to destroy the monster at the end of the Hell level ? A voice says something (I presume its to destroy those light things) - unfortunately I destroy them but by the time I've come to fire on the monster they have been regenerated.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 03:47
you should have the soul cube, when you pick that up and then kill the seekers you hear a voice say "use us", switch to the soulcube and use it to kill the monster I assume (I keep dying at this point so I aint sure), you need to kill so many "souls" before the cube works (I think it regenerates your health as well), good luck, back to dying :-(

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster.
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Would Doom 3 run on my computer or what?

I got:
Althon XP 3000+ @ 2.16Ghz
512Mb Pc3200 Ram @ 500Mhz
Radeon 9600SE 128MB
52x32x52x16 CD/DVD Drive

I am planningon buying to soon once i get the $55.

SPECS:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 512MB RAM, 128MB ATI RADEON 9600SE, 16x DVD ROM & CD-R/W 52x32x52 Combo Drive, 19" Flat Screen CRT, 3 12" Cold Cathode Blue Neons
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 05:56 Edited at: 16th Aug 2004 05:57
No, dont have the soul cube - never seen it... Dont think its even availiable on the hell level...

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 06:25
@xtransworldx: your setup should run doomIII, I have run it on a 2ghz machine with a fx5200 ultra and half a gig of ddr and it ran fine.

@TCA: the soul cube is what you are rescueing from the Guardian, theres an intro sequence at the start that explains it, the cube has to be grabbed from that arena AFAIK, then you kill 5 or more lampfloaters, that makes the cube active and you can then kill off any spare floaters and quickly activate it before any more get created, just two snags with this theory, I ended up with the soul cube after picking up a berserker pack (don`t know why...bug in the code I think), and I can`t seem to kill the monster with the cube I have, so I am gonna have to replay from alpha sector onwards and avoid berserker packs so that I don`t have the soul cube when I reach the arena, I think you have to have picked it up before the flag for the monster-vulnerable conditions gets set, since I already have the cube I can`t pick it up to finish, (and no...I wasn`t cheating , just picked up a berserker pack under a platform and now it seems I have to replay most of the game...boohooo!!!).

Mentor.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 06:42 Edited at: 16th Aug 2004 06:43
I'm certainly not going to replay a level just to get a needed weapon - and its way to tricky shooting the lights, swapping weapons and then shooting the part above the monster that regenerate the lights.

Time to uninstall and sell it...

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 13:44 Edited at: 16th Aug 2004 15:08
It's not tricky at all I beat it in a minute with the chaingun. You just shoot the light things and then shoot the ball of light above the Guardian. If you hurt it the ball turns red. Once you figured this out (which isn't that hard) it's a piece of cake. Oh, and if you run out of ammo (which you shouldn't) there's ammo laying around the pillars.

And Zone Chicken thanks, those changes actually do make a big difference. I didn't necessarily get a boost in FPS but I got a boost when it came to the amount of detail per texture as well as making the load times a lot smaller.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 17:14
Quote: "there's ammo laying around the pillars."

I know - collected all those.

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess this games okay but Ill tell you its the first game ive bought where ive gone off to play battlefield for some real fun Take the doom 3 title away i wonder really what the reviews would have been.
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 22:58
The reviews would have been: "This game completely rips off the old Doom but has some of the best graphics we've ever seen." So, I don't think it would've been all that different if it wasn't Doom.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 04:59
Managed to get out of Hell, and now I'm nearing the end...

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 06:08
doh! then whats the soddin cube got to do with it?, at least I kept the savegame, I have been shooting the lampfloaters and throwing the soulcube at the monster, why does shooting a light above the soddin thing hurt it DUH!, must say this annoys me somewhat, why tell you to rescue the cube and that the monster is vulnerable once you kill the lampfloaters?, then the cube saying "use us", it`s totaly misleading, I gave up on shooting at the monster once I realised that no weapons had any effect on it, never mind the flippng light above it, never occured to me that shooting the light would hurt it, I thought the soulcube was the Uber weapon <kicks self savagley in shins and cuts main artery wide open> AAARGH!

Mentor.

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 06:35
Wait... I don't think you get the soul cube until you kill the Guardian.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 16:59
Quote: "must say this annoys me somewhat"

Yes, that is a rather badly designed section of the level - I e-mail Activision ('cos I couldn't find an e-mail address for id), about that.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 03:02 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 03:35
I've finally finished Doom 3 - took a couple of days longer than usual due to the hell of the hell level.

Anyway - does anyone know if the game has multiple endings ? The reason being you can either send or cancel the transmission to Earth. I sent the message (and I cant be bothered to replay the game just to find out what happens - if anything - when you cancel the transmission). Got to get it back to GAME by Friday for a refund...

Would like a film to be made though...

And for those interested all my save games are availiable here : http://www.codingarea.co.uk/MiscThings/savegames.rar

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 08:20
Yeah, there's multiple endings, not sure how different they are because I haven't beaten the game again yet. I just beat it today and am attempting Nightmare now.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 09:09
Having read all the responses, I think I will play it safe and wait for the demo.

It seems like things were a bit rushed, I really worry about average-Joe users. Your average Doom 3 player probably won't know what a config file is, let alone how to edit one.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
I edited the config file just fine; it's very simple actually. And it gave a HUGE boost in performance. Before I was running minimum settings, now I'm handling 800x600 & High Quality.

Well worth it...I'm sure someone could easily make a program to edit the config file for you.

Ausukusa :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 09:49 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 09:50
Quote: " I edited the config file just fine; it's very simple actually. "

I repeat, I'm talking about average Joe users here.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 10:54
The changes really didn't speed much up for me...
I found running the new Forceware however do give a VERY noticable performance boost.

The system I have been using is well below the recommended as most well know here, but I've been getting very playable framerates using 61.76 Forceware.

Been taking some time to test out a theory about the game, and my results are going to go into creating a small demonstration using the Doom3 engine which *will* run at a more than reasonable framerate on this system.

I mean some areas, like the Delta Labs Generator area... ran at a stonking 35-50fps (yeah look back up this thread at my system specs) where as other areas were not playing even close to as nicely.

Seeing as in the Generator section you come across quick a few enemies including being attacked by roughly 12 Lost Souls with thier intensive fire shaders... and a Revenant with his even more itensive smoke effects. You'd expect the entire area to crawl. But it doesn't even with the extremely well detailed Generator.

As I said, my findings should help go towards creating something playable and for mod developers to read up on optimisations.
I'm also going to be working on a few utils to help out mod-developers.

Number of reasons behind this;
a/ I don't want to have to use an editor through doom 3, it would be nice to boot it up very quickly and just work on a game.
b/ I don't really like Radiants Editing style... it is awekard.
c/ There are no GUI Editors
d/ There are no decent RoQ Editors
e/ Shader and Image Exporting is a bit of an artform in itself, when what you'd like is to see what it would look like in-engine.

Considering i've seen from almost all of the .plans for the id team they're looking for a new Tools Programmer, this would suggest the SDK is a while off or atleast it'll have no damn tools really included.

The engine is incredible from what i've seen of it so far. Really am looking forward to working on this Mod once current projects are sorted.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
@RobK: Didn't even read your post...that wasn't directed at you.

Ausukusa :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 01:09
I noticed the ID brick - never bothered to push it though...

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 05:39
Yeah, I found the Id brick too. There were a ton of scary parts in the game but one of the most noticable was when...
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 08:15

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 12:23:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 12:23:44