Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Superman

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2004 18:45 Edited at: 11th Oct 2004 18:45
Nice banner you've put up there, Rich. I take it's a tribute to Christopher Reeve who passed away just yesterday. 'Tis a sad thing when great people leave this world.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2004 18:47
Reeve passed away... well that was news to me.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2004 18:50
Yeah, Rodney Dangerfield and now Christopher Reeves. These are my generations equivalent of Jim Carrey and Ben Affleck, only without the showbiz arrogance.

RIP Mr.Reeves.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2004 18:51
Just noticed the tribute myself. Didn't know much about what he'd been doing this last couple of years, but apparently he's done loads to raise the profile of others in his predicament.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2004 18:52
He was a legend, Superman is still the best super-hero film ever and no-one can question his real-life hero approach the past 10 years or so. For anyone who hasn't seen the news this morning (in the UK anyway) Google have a good selection:

http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&gl=us&ncl=http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/241003p-206723c.html

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2004 19:51 Edited at: 11th Oct 2004 19:52
what? no, thats just as stupid as saying spider man should die, he is farking superman! he can't die!

then again there was the death of superman, btu they followed that up with the return of superman! is christopher coming back?

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2004 20:51 Edited at: 11th Oct 2004 20:58
I've seen (part of) one of the superman movies... The one where he flies around the world really fast to reverse time... Was that him?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2004 21:04
Hehe, yup - that's him - now tell your folks to buy the first 3 movies on DVD for you, you poor child.

My favourite was the second one, with the 3 cast outs - the street fight part with busses being thrown about was great. I did'nt like the last one much, the ending was really dodgy - I did like Richard Pryor's hacking scene though.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2004 21:55
Van - I liked the part (in the last one) where you see a Superman sprite flying along and they are launching what look like nukes at him and he knocks them away Graphics like a 2600 game! (even though computers were well ahead of that at the time)

But the film with the 3 baddies who were stuck in glass floating in space and then land on earth was superb. The best of the lot I reckon.

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2004 22:57
Yeah, I remember having a crush on the evil woman - not as much as I had a crush on Diana from the series 'V' though - maybe that explains my taste in women today (mostly b*****s ).

I remember the videogame bit - that was funny, but the whole movie did'nt feel the same, seemed too bright and farsical for me - the first and second movies were quite dark and moody. Superman2 was the first movie I watched at the cinema, I was only about 5 or 6, but damn that was cool, back when going to the cinema was really special .

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2004 23:23
lol i remember goin to see terminator 2 when it was first out at teh cinemas, i was actually pretty young for that movie, i mean when was it out what 93? i woulda been 8 then. i remember it cause we cam eout of the picture theatre and it was dark, yet we went in and it was only about 3 o clock and bright and sunny like Qld is supposed to be. i don't recall getting that special feeling at cinemas after that. maybe cause its always packed with sick re school kids with their mobile fones and girls that always have the high pitched voices. damn i hate school kids now that im older.

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2004 23:57
I prefer Maddox's view on him, but I can't deny he was a good actor and he actually got somewhere with spinal-cord-damage research.

Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
DISCLAIMER: Promises may not actually be upheld.
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 00:24
You had a crush on diana from the V series? . Seek mental help.

The 3d chat is coming...
In the meantime, come in the IRC. Ask me for details!!.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 00:25
Yeah!

What's wrong with Diana?

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 00:27
i don't know who that is, post me a screen.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 00:29 Edited at: 12th Oct 2004 00:31
http://www.squirrel.com/mooncat/pics/sci-fi-pics/diana.jpg

Maybe its just my younger and unrefined tastes. There is the added fact that she is lizard underneath.

The 3d chat is coming...
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 00:29
I don't understand ... you said the last one had Richard Pryor and the old Atari 2600 like graphics? I thought that was Superman III.

I thought Superman IV was the last one, which didn't have Richard Pryor, but rather the radioactive man and Lex Luthor.

My all time favorite was Superman II as well. What a movie! Especially in the end when he goes back into that bar and beats up that truck driver who beat him up earlier in the move.

Clark Kent: Huh, imagine that? Garbage eating Garbage!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 00:36
Most people like to forget Superman4, it was terrible, a travesty if you like. Superman 1,2, and 3 - that's all there was .

Mnemonix,
Yeah, but you have to be a child of the 80's to appreciate shoulder pads, big hair, and bitchy attitudes - of course back then you did'nt often see women in tight overalls, stuff like that can have an affect on a young lad . I remember I had a fight with my brother one night, and my parents grounded and banned me from watching episode2 of the first series the first time it was shown - I've yet to forgive them .

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 00:38
Ha Ha. Episode 2 is quite good. Who was your favourite character (Other than Diana)

The 3d chat is coming...
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 00:41
havent sen much of v, but dude if that i sthe quality woman in it, i think i can give it a miss, i mean hey im down with some of the eighties girls but dude, that diana is one manly woman, her face is pretty messed up gimme the shiela from wierd science (the movie not the series. much better. and yes i do believe i will try and code a program that models a woman and pretends to make it like in wierd science, but you must play it with a bra on your head.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 00:44
Diana is the nemesis in V. There is another girl, she is in the rebel group(I forget the name) but i forgot her name .

The 3d chat is coming...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 00:48 Edited at: 12th Oct 2004 00:50
My fave character was Willie - the nice vegetarian style alien played by Robert England (famous as Freddie Krueger).

I can't believe your all dissing on my woman - I soon learned, we had Christina Applegate from Married With Children shortly after that - so it's all good .

Mnemonix,
Juliet (the attractive blonde rebel) was played by Faye Grant.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 00:52
Yea her.

Willie was a good character too. My favourite character is Ham Tyler who is only in it for a couple of episodes, played by Michal Ironside of Total Recall.

The 3d chat is coming...
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 01:04
Shouldn't we be mournig Chris Reeve, not drooling at sci-fi chicks.
Btw, Street from "Earth: Final Conflict" is hot, REALLY HOT!

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 01:06
RIP Christopher Reeve.

Absent.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 01:39
Marlon Brando and now Christopher Reeve. Gene Hackman must be panicking.

The 3d chat is coming...
PowerSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 01:58
what was the film with that evil superman guy... superman had a net of rockets or something then LexLuthor put a contraption on the side of a rocket or something...

I think Christopher Reeve should be remembered as well for his real life not just on screen. . .

its sad as has been said when great men / women die

Brian Clough for example

Create? Play? YOU Decide
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 02:53
Quote: " gimme the shiela from wierd science"

Not wanting to distract too much from the point of this thread, but.. Lisa from Weird Science? Hubba hubba! That was uber-babe Kelly LeBrock and wow, she set some serious teenage hormones on fire. That has to be one of my all time favourite films (especially the part where she turns Bill Paxton into a giant turd).

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 04:01
R.I.P. Christopher Reeve

Currently re-writing the game and re-doing sprites for 800x600 (was 640x480). This game will get a release soon.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 04:40 Edited at: 12th Oct 2004 04:42
Quote: "What's wrong with Diana?"
Goddamn she was tops. She also had a blonde sidekick. Remember the quote "I have never lost a fight to the death!". Tops. And the rebel bird was cute too. Although for me nothing beats Wilma from Buck Rogers. Esp in those white jump suits. And the princess was tops too. Was always hoping they would have a mud wrestling type episode, but it never happened. Closest was that time when the heating cocked up on a shuttle and they sweated quite a lot in less clothes than normal. Gulp. I was quite young then....

Ahem. And it's a great shame Reeves died. Always my favourite film superhero (Spiderman was my fave comic though). Nothing came close. Lets hope they don't cock up the new version. And with any luck they will sort out the movie thats supposed to come afterwards (Superman Vs Batman or somesuch).

Cheers

Ps. Oh yeah, and the fourth superman was uber crap. Let us never speak of it again.....

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
PowerSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 05:48
whats the one im on about?

Create? Play? YOU Decide
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 05:58
Christopher reeve should not only be remembered for his movies. He should be remembered for his outstanding contribution on stem cell research.
PowerSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 06:18
Quote: "I think Christopher Reeve should be remembered as well for his real life not just on screen. . ."

Quote: "Christopher reeve should not only be remembered for his movies. He should be remembered for his outstanding contribution on stem cell research. "

Agreed

Create? Play? YOU Decide
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 07:08 Edited at: 12th Oct 2004 07:08
I don't see why we don't presue stem cell research in the USA, it's completely ethical in my opinion, I don't think life is truely concieved untill there is a mind to ponder it's conception. Sad news.

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problems, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problems anymore.
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 07:53
So, by that logic, would a mentally retartded person, who is unable to fully contemplate their own conception, actually be "not conceived?"
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 08:03
no, because even a mentally retarded person can think, they have a brain, but a cell has only a nucleus as it's brain, and that is just powered by basic chemical changes, maybe my sentance needed to be refrazed, because what I meant was, that you arn't really concieved untill you can actually think for yourself, because if you don't have a brain you wouldn't know what was life anyways, thus you couldn't contimplate conception or yourself because you have no mind to do so, thus you exsist as matter, but you have no though process, so you really arn't alive.

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problems, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problems anymore.
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 08:59 Edited at: 12th Oct 2004 09:00
I hate to strike a sour note but with all due deference to Christopher Reeve, a Hollywood actor (and I use the term advisedly), his passing away is not a particularly notable event in world history. Very sad for himself and his family of course, for whom I have the deepest sympathy, but really I question whether he should be the subject of an individual banner?

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 09:07
You are correct ... TGC should put up a whole Christopher Reeve(superman) webpage not just a banner.

Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 09:25
Yes indeed!

These new domain names will all be routed to thegamecreators.com:

Superman.DarkBasic.com

DarkBasic.Superman.com

ChristopherReeveLovesDarkBasic.com

TGCLovesChristopherReeveAndSoDoYou.com

ChristopherReeveOwnsYa'llNoobs.net

WhatWouldChristopherReevesDo.com

CodeDarkBasicAppsLikeChristopherReeve.org

StemCellInTheTwoZeroZeroFour.com

StemCizellForLizife.net

ChristopherReeveScratchAndSniff.net
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 09:32
Take care Christopher Reeves, you are most missed in this world....

You will always be The Superman.

-This...is my boomstick!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 09:40
Quote: "WhatWouldChristopherReevesDo.com"

well if he didn't fall off a horse he'd prolly fly around the world to turn it backwards thus reversing time to save louis lane from falling into a crack in the ground.

anyway man kelly le brock was the bomb. and christina applegate was also pretty hot, did you ever see the movie don't tell mum the babysitter's dead van? pretty sure that sthe name, it had her in it.

Jedive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 10:53 Edited at: 12th Oct 2004 10:54
I am very sorry about Christopher Reeve death. A nice person has left this world. He was a hero of fiction on the cinema, and a true hero in the real world.

== Jedive ==
AthlonXP 1600+, 512MB, GeForce4200, WinXP/DX9, Mandrake 10
iBook G4 1Ghz, 256MB, Radeon9200, Mac OS X Panther
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 12:24
Quote: "Christopher Reeve, a Hollywood actor (and I use the term advisedly), his passing away is not a particularly notable event in world history."
He was also doing stuff to help people in his situation. He's an icon, a hero.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 13:49
yeah only after he was paralyzed, not before, which is why maddox says he is an a-hole.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 14:15
Sometimes we just need something to wake us up. With all that money it is very easy to be an a-hole just from being spoiled. It takes something happening to make you truely care about yourself (not just what you want to do but your well being) and others'. It doesn't matter what makes you who you are. The only thing that matters is who you are. Your past is just that ... the past.

R. I. P. Christopher Reeve

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 16:26
RIP

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Jedive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 21:31
Quote: "yeah only after he was paralyzed, not before, which is why maddox says he is an a-hole."
Yeah, but even with that, Reeve made more for paralysis than Maddox, so he just should shut the f*ck up, don't you think?

== Jedive ==
AthlonXP 1600+, 512MB, GeForce4200, WinXP/DX9, Mandrake 10
iBook G4 1Ghz, 256MB, Radeon9200, Mac OS X Panther
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2004 21:44
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2004 00:28
Let's not turn this into a Maddox thread please. Everyone can have their own opinion about what he writes on his web site. Some of it is incredibly funny, some just painfully anal, I have no problem with what he said, just with those who devotedly follow his output like he's the second-coming.

- Oscar Wilde

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 20:13:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 20:13:31