Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Halo 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 16:45
I know a lot of people verbaly bash halo (and probably physicaly too!) but i think Halo is an ace game. Everything about the game is brilliant. The gameplay, the music (i bought the cd of the music, i am so sad), the graphics might not be as good as farcry or doom 3 but they are good enough for me.

Now halo 2 is comming ut with better graphics, more weapons, better levels, even better music. And they are even having a nice collectors edition (it comes in a nice box and has a dvd extra). If you didn't like halo please try halo 2. Lots of games get better with age: doom, half-life.

Its not a bug, Its a feature

If we were meant to stay in this reality games would not exist!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 16:51
I can't see how anyone can dislike Halo - in fact I tend to put it down to PC/console snobbery. Frankly it's the best console FPS ever. The multiplayer aspects have had a makeover, it's gonna be THE game on xbox live - only seen a little video of the multiplayer game, but some of the minor tweaks should make it much more fun (I mean really, in Halo1 you tend to make your own fun on the multiplayer games). It all looks great - and not long to wait now.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 17:51
Well i pre-ordered a copy of halo 2, all i have to do is wait for the post and in comes me new collectors edition , can't wait.

Antdizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 18:05
I can't wait until Halo 2 comes out on Tuesday. I hope that they have it at BlockBuster when I go to rent it.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 18:23
i just played halo 2 today, both multi and single, and i have to say it's nowhere near the hype, it's not revolutionary fps action or any of that crap that they have been pumpin out even before halo 1 was released. I loved halo multiplayer but i got to say h2 multi just seems to be lacking. They've added in features like dual wielding and jumping on vehicles and knockign the driver out, both cool, but they have also made vehicles destroyable which just plain sucks, although sometimes good if you shoot a rocket at a car and it blows up while a guy stands next to it. The graphics have come out a bit better both in multi and single, but they still only have 5 angles for the bump mapping which glitches up sometimes in the cut scenes, I mean of all places, THE CUTSCENES. Other than that, multiplayer is k, it's just not the same with the new bloodgultch, the rocks are too big and it just doesnt feel like bg anymore. Single player is somewhat ok, start is just a rip off of the first halo, defending the space station, even starts the same with waking up in the tube and then looking at the four directions. All in all its still a fast paced action shoot em up, but it is pretty much just an expansion for halo 1. I'm going to the midnight release tonight, but not to buy the game, I can't wait to hear all the m$ nerds raving about how good it is to me then I will say, "it's all been done before".

Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 20:34
Quote: "but they have also made vehicles destroyable which just plain sucks"

That heppened in the first one, but why not. It is a bit poo if your shooting at a warthog and it doesn't blow up. It adds another dimension to the game. It means you can't be a chicken and hide behind it for too long (have i just rambled on?)

Yes it has all been done before but that doesn't make it any less of a good game, but hey we all have our opinions and i'm just saying i will enjoy the game whatever becuase it takes me away from the dull boring day to day life

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 20:45
Thing is - if they just took Halo and added different levels and a new plot - then that would be enough, it'll still be a massive hit, and people will still love it.

Van-B

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 02:50
I think that you should be able to choose wether vehicles blow up or not, allowing for two hour games of "Warthog Ramming" with 8 players over LAN...those were the days

I'm looking forward to it but I'm not expecting a hit, I am satified with a nice, enjoyable game, it doesn't need to be amazing.

[center]:: Architectonic 2.0 ::
[center]
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 02:50
i can't wait untill it comes out on the 11th, i like they way you contorl it with 2 sticks instead of just 1, so much easier to use

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
PC - amd athlon 2, 512mb, force 0 8mb, 0gb, p sp2
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 02:54
Addition: As long as the control system is heavily similar to Halo 1 I will like it I really liked that. Halo was the first Xbox game I played and I loved the control...loved...

[center]
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 03:02
Halo was the only multi-player X-box game that I really enjoyed. We'd hook up 3 X-boxes and have a bunch of people. I'd be happy if Halo 2 had no improvements over Halo 1, except a couple more multiplayer boards that you could drive vehicles on. I think my expectations will be exceeded

I have pre-ordered and will pick it up tomarow

WOLF

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 03:03
I'm getting mine from the 10th (extremely opt.) to the 15th (late post...Royal Mail again)

[center]
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 03:06
I find it rather odd and a bit off, the most realistic combat simulation to date coming out on Nov 11th, the day that celebrates peace.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 03:08
I'm getting my preorder tonight at midnight

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Ali M Oldboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 03:18
On November the 11th (UK), Earth will never be
the same again...never...

-ALI-

Die! Die! Die!
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:45
I've heard somewhere that Halo 2 is predicted to make around $75 million within the first 24 hours of release.
Some of that is my money, and I can be proud!

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 07:03
They've already passed 1.5 million preorders. It took Halo 3-4 years to hit 1 mil.

I've preordered the limited edition, and as of this post I have 7 hours, 56 minutes, and 34 seconds until I can pick it up.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 09:52
Quote: "allowing for two hour games of "Warthog Ramming" with 8 players over LAN...those were the days
"

yeah that's just it, no more of that, and no more crazy vehicle stunts, cause when you nade a hog, it just blows up. AND when you bash someones dead body, it doesn't move!! I'm sure its still a solid fps, but changing those things in multiplayer have lessened the goodness for me. And I certainly don't believe it's up to its hype, but what ever is?

Shadow Runna X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 12:36
Halo is the only reason I would even by the Xbox, other than that, I wouldn't let that box into my house.

Obviously the game isn't gonna be as good as everyone's expectin' it to be, but if it's anything like the first, I'll get the PC version as soon as it's released.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 16:40
Yay!!!!!!

It's 1:40am and I just got back from EB with my copy. I have to go to sleep (A hour tomorrow...), but the case alone is giving me happy shivers.

Sony stole our name!
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 21:11
I don't get it for about...48 hours... but the vehicles respawn after you blow them up do they not? Allowing for a slightly more interesting, tactical warthog ramming game...Anyway I hope that my social life (gf, friends, family etc) don't get pissed at me for not leaving the house for a week...

[center]:: Architectonic 2.0 :: Notepad forever! ::
[center]
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 21:16 Edited at: 9th Nov 2004 21:17
well my bro wanted it to play some hyper mag forumers, so we went out and "7-day return hire" from EB. Where you buy teh game then return it in 7 days and get your money back. I played through some mro emultiplayer, and with more people it was jsut the same as the pc, though this whole system of finding games is a lil iffy, though i didnt get right into teh match making, just joined some friends games etc. Changing the host is pretty good too. anyway yeah not much of a super dooper thing over halo 1, i still reckon h1 had better multiplayer, but its still a good mp game to play. Also got stuck into single player, got thru most of the arbiter level, still not doing anything to really impress me, and graphics don't look crazy whack either, certainly not the hype it wa smade out to be, but a decent fps none the less. i give it 3 skulls . oh an dvehicles take a long time to respawn (nto sure if thats editable.) but yeah seemed to take a fair while to get vehicles back after being destroyed.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 21:22
What I wanted from Halo 1 was a little more customisation in Multiplayer. For example have a warthog and ghost but no scorpian etc.

Also, (@Wigget) are you near your xbox? I'm sitting logged into Live at the moment and none of my friends are online....

[center]
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 22:29 Edited at: 9th Nov 2004 22:29
arg....i have to wait until ths weekend to play it on me friend's XBox...

anyway...i never heard any hype about halo 2 beign revolutionary in the gameplay or something...

it's a sequel...for those people who loved the first and want to know what happens next (and play what happens next)

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 23:09
Yeah, I'd happily swap all the non-vehicle multiplayer levels for a couple more with vehicles in them - I mean everyone knows blood gulch inside and out, every sniper spot, every hiding place - so it limits the deathmatch a great deal.

Van-B

Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 01:30
woot, I'm playing Halo 2 now, Love it, always will.
The only reason I have a break long enough to type here if I'm eating.. And food and my gaming skills don't mix too well.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 02:12
Quote: " And food and my gaming skills don't mix too well."

Newb

Here we go again!
TRANSGRESS AND I SHALT BAN YE! (Just kidding...)
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 02:13
Echo that..however talking and eating and gaming is hard

[center]
The Real 87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 06:53
Halo 2 is the worst scam since Pokemon red and blue.

Know what they did to make Halo 2 different from Halo?

Some guns you can have 2 of.
Added a few guns.
Made driving AI for Marines.
Made new maps.

Don't waste your money buy Half Life 2.

This is my counting program
do: print "87" : loop
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 07:08 Edited at: 10th Nov 2004 07:12
Well, I played about 1 hour of the american version today, its nothing special. It is safe to say the leaked version though was not a final, as I do see somethings that work a little better (like the music loops a tiny bit better, to explain, the music in the leak, would have this annoying sorta stop before it looped again).

If and when they release a PC version, i am sure i'll buy it, but other then that, it just feels like another regular FPS.

Edit: I would like to say, it does fella bit better playing this version, so not all of my comments from the last few weeks apply (except the Master Chief is too slow, then again, if he wasn't slower then the marine in Doom 3, then he wouldn't be master chief )

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 07:08 Edited at: 10th Nov 2004 07:09
ha! (@87)

read the list of changes (no idea where), those are just some of the things that people are interested in, but there is also a heavy engine revamp (i believe...also they use better, commercial physics...). I will have to dig out the list.

[center]
Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
Halo 2, I WANT IT SO BAD!!! In fact, if it weren't for Halo 2, I wouldn't even be on these forums right now. You know why I'm on these forums? Because I'm killing time while waiting for a Halo 2 trailer to load. I'M A HALO FREAK!!!

wtf?
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 10:23
I didn't want my game spoiled, Messy food doesn't go too well with the Console gaming, though I like to spend my eating time on the computer playing games or doing other random things that most likely involve cats.

Anyways, I love the multiplayer, and single player, I don't care, I love it all....

mr dr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 10:51
Multiplayer isn't as fun as halo 1. The new physicics and weak melee animations ruined it. Other than that it is great.

cheers!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 13:12
I am a satisfied Halo 2 customer.

The melee animations are a bit weak, and the cutscenes have LOD & mapping issues every once in a while, but as a complete package Halo 2 is worth every penny plus 75 bucks.

Quote: " Halo 2 is the worst scam since Pokemon red and blue.

Know what they did to make Halo 2 different from Halo?

Some guns you can have 2 of.
Added a few guns.
Made driving AI for Marines.
Made new maps.

Don't waste your money buy Half Life 2."

HalfLife 2 is the biggest scam since Doom 3. All they did was pimp up the engine, release the old games set in the new engine for more money, added one or two significant new weapons, and made up another slow-paced geeky story.

If I said that wouldn't you be angry? It's not about the features. It's how the art direction, gameplay design, and plot all fit into a satisfying mesh of Halo goodness. Features are for regular software application developers. Games are artistic.

Imagine if I said this:

Patch Adams was a waste of money because it lacked features. This movie had your typical inspirational plot with a comedian and a love story and some jokes. That's it.

Now look at the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. That's a movie worth your money. They obviously invested a lot in the special effects, paid a fresh writer out of college to write the story, paid to have Sean Connery in the movie, included favorite comic book and other adventurous characters. It had <X number> of special effect scenes and fight scenes, hot girls, guns, and violence.

Despite its long list of features in comparison to a movie such as Patch Adams The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is a pretty terrible movie.

I'm not saying HalfLife 2 is bad, in fact I'm saving up for the 16th, but what I am saying is that everybody who tries to convince me that Halo/2 is a bad game always tries to win me over with features. And I don't give a <poo> about features as long as the game is immersive and fun.

See Pac Man

Sony stole our name!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 13:25
Well, I just played the game for about 2 hours and...

I'm very satisfied

The plot is twisty and the AI is teh-mazing, what more could I want? And I love how --- umm... I'll hold my breath until more of you have played it

I don't know how anyone who loved Halo wouldn't love this incarnation. The music is VERY good, too.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 13:29
w00t for Steve Vai

Sony stole our name!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 16:48
There's so many coveted games comming out this year that you have to dig deep and simply buy them all - except maybe Doom3, which is looking like the gooseberry of the bunch.

Half Life 2 is a must for PC owners, Halo2 is a must for XBox owners. I have both, but I don't have a PC capable of HL2, so I'll get both for XBox.

One thing that did annoy me about Halo though, was the way a lot of PC owners slated it, until it came out on PC, then they suddenly love it. Xbox snobery is like cutting your nose off to spite your face, there's too much of it really - it should be accepted that FPS games on XBox can be every bit as fun as on the PC.

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 17:32
Ha, my bro seems to have some knack for kickin arse in multiplayer, and some whiney teen was ont eh mic going oh geeze that wiggett guy is invincible he must be hacking. my brother just replied n00b. it was funny yesterday when we were playing, cause everyone was a noob, (save fo rthose who pirated it.)

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 17:45
On XBox live though, you gotta have the full original game, so at least all these piratey types have to buy it anyway to play online . We've been meaning to have a lan party for a long time, I mean I have a hub and cables for 4 boxes, we even have them waiting - just gotta get enough people (and booze!) together for a decent game. Maybe that's what we should do to celebrate the release of Halo2.

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 19:55
played some more live just now. get this, 1 slayer match, 11 people, i win first to 50, second place was 37. next game, team slayer, red v blue v green, 5v5v1 players. yes i was green team. green team came third, although i was the highest scoring player with a whole 31 kills. then a capture the flag match on bloodgultch, got highest flag capper and highest flag recovery and flag carrier slayer. and I don't even like the damn game. my brother seems to pwnz much more than me too. oh and my dvd's from insurance came in, woohoo for magnificent 7, fistfull of dollars and FIREFLY BOX SET!

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 23:19
It takes *forever* to have the game randomly pick a match for you on Xbox Live--- must be the huge server load.

Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 00:56
............I am still waiting for my copy, damn release date

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 01:57
Amazon has confirmed...I get mine tomorrow...which means I must do some work tonight to avoid certain doom.

[center]
Ali M Oldboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 02:41
Halo 2 (UK)

Now just 5 Exciting Hours Away!

-ALI-

Why do I need a signature?
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 04:27 Edited at: 11th Nov 2004 04:33
Good thing the TGC compo ended already

EDIT:

Nukesoft - By the way, the special edition does NOT come with 5 discs, but 2.

Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 05:10
I have pre-orderd my copy from game, it is more expensive (i think) but then again i get more points on me points card

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 14:56
Halo 2 may not be the best FPS game ever, but the multiplayer sure is addicting. We played quite a bit of Halo here in the dorms, and now that Halo 2 is out we have played quite a bit. Last night a couple of us were up until 4:30 am, and I got up at 7 am for my Economics class, then I had Chemistry and English. I just wanted to see if I could stay awake, and I think I did...not sure if I made it all the way through econ though...it is a little hazy at this time. Then I took a 4 hour nap today...

One thing I don't like about the game: ghosts are way overpowered. Once someone gets one in multiplayer it is really hard to take away, they often rack up a lot of kills.

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 17:40
w00000000t

I've got some friends over, it's 2:40am, we have a copule xboxes w/ a couple tvs and we spend the first four hours playing system link, and now we're going through and beating the campaign. It's so fun!

Sony stole our name!
Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 18:22
Yey, i have just had word from game that my copy of halo 2 special edition is on its way, yey

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:34:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:34:15