Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Is it Possible.....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 11:11
Is it Possible for me to learn to program?....i am a total dumbass. i suck at maths, and when i look at even basic code i have no idea wat the hell is goin on. i've read and re-read books on PHP, darkbasic, css, html (yes, i can't even do simple tables and stuff properly), but i just can't do it. i try, but it just doesn't sink in. the best thing i can do is put text on the screen and i even forget how to do that

I'm the guy you love to hate.
Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 11:28
The minute you start thinking more positively, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish.
Programmer Dave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 11:55
i've tried though. there were moments that i thought "hey, this is easy" so i started workin on somethin (just a few textured boxes spinning, but i wanted to start small) and then it loaded, and the screen was black, i tried to find the problems for ages, but nothing, i've even used example code and that still didn't work for me :S

I'm the guy you love to hate.
Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 11:57
Dont give up

How long have you been programming for ?
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 16:04 Edited at: 14th Sep 2005 16:06
When you think about it, "just a few textured boxes spinning" is NOT all that simple when you've never programmed before. Imagine trying to do the same with ANY other BASIC (apart from Bl**z).

Behind all the bells and whistles DB has, is a plain old boring BASIC syntax - all of which has to be mastered before you can understand the flashy 3D stuff.

The problem is that DB makes it so easy to get into the 3D stuff, many new users don't bother learning the boring basic stuff first.

If you are a newcomer to programming and you are currently working on your first program and it's a 3D FPS or RPG, ask yourself the questions below. You shouldn't really be working in 3D unless you can honestly answer yes to all of them correctly.

* Do you understand the difference between integers and reals?

* Do you know what '(' and ')' are used for in a formula?

* Could you write a program which lets a user type a number into a string, multiply it by 5 and then print it as a string again?

* Do you know what the difference is between using a While loop and a Repeat loop? (They DON'T actually do the same thing and there's a reason why you have them both).

* Do you fully understand what two-dimensional and three-dimensional arrays are?

* Do you understand how to pass parameters to a Function and return a value?

* If you have used Goto in your program, do you know how to alter it to not use Goto?

And the answer to the original question is 'yes you can'. I'm not good at maths either. You just need to start very simple and do a bit of reading.

You can't learn to write if you don't learn the characters in the alphabet first and DB is also a language. It's like trying to write a book when you don't know what the shapes 'A' and 'B' mean!

Try these to start with, then move onto other tutorials:

http://www.computechtenerife.com/DB/tutorials.htm

TDK_Man

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 19:20
The above is so true I could not hope to add more.

Jac
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Programmer Dave

I have no programing skills at all when I first pick up DBpro. I wanted to fulfill a (sad) childhood dream of programing my own game.

I'll shortly be releasing my first program. A computer Vs Human o's and x's game with AI and cleaver graphics tricks (for a beginner anyway) There were three things that got me to this stage.

1 These tutorials are brilliant http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=25076&b=7
do all the tasks as well they help.

2 Hard work and determination

3 Once it gets too much, make some notes on where you got too and what the problem is. Save the code then go away for a couple of days and come back to it with fresh eye (sometimes I'm so distracted it takes a month to come back but it works all the same.

Oh and one last thing.

Everyone here is really helpful pop a question with some code and you'll get some help.

Good luck

JC

These are not the droids you are looking for.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 03:27:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 03:27:36