Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Murkymedia - Commercial FPSC ready character pack.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 22:11 Edited at: 9th Mar 2006 19:36
Hi all,

We've just finished a set of characters for fpsc and they are available for purchase.
http://www.murkymedia.com

Here's a brief description.
16 Characters, textured and animated with default fpsc animations. Includes fpe files and thumbnails. Package comes as an installer. For those who would like to do their own modifications, you also get the static mesh for the characters in default pose and the UV texture reference. All for only US$20.00

You can get more detailed info on the product page, including renders and ingame screenshots.

There is also some free stuff available for download on the Free Stuff section. Currently a load of music available and we will be adding to this.

"I dont think I like the idea of my little photon being touched up by a switched off proggy and finishing off without ever actually getting inside." - Fallout
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 22:19
Thats very cool! I would however recomend that you use .x instead of dbo.
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 22:33
Any particular reason Chris? Apart from a smaller download size?

"I dont think I like the idea of my little photon being touched up by a switched off proggy and finishing off without ever actually getting inside." - Fallout
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 22:37
some people dont have acsess to convert dbo...

thats why im adding an option in E.C.S. to Not automatically convert to dbo.

anyway, the charecters look good, just not quite what im looking for.

Great job! it will help a lot of people out.

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 23:05
FPSC uses dbo. for the characters. It converts the x files into dbo files when you load the character into fpsc. When you build the final game, the dbo are files are used as well not the x files.
Users do not have to convert the dbo files.
The actor pack is made for easy use. No conversions, no setups. Install and you're ready to use them. The reason I went for dbo files is that it won't leave extra files in the folders which might have users wondering why the install was only 30mb but now they are using 50mb of space. Trying to keep it as simple and easy as possible.

For level entities and weapons the x file is used. Which will be the case for weapon and prop packs.

@BULLSHOCK - Thank you. Hopefully have something if the future for you. What are you looking for?

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 23:21
Granted. BUT, it reads the UV and data from .x.
Habatar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 23:58 Edited at: 8th Mar 2006 00:02
Great Joh. Are very Espectacular Characters.
But I recommend that you include the .X files because the next Upgrade of FPSC will be made whit DBP 6.0 and the DBO Strucure are not the Same. The model will ned to be converto to DBO to workd whit DBP 6.0

For that, when someone install the future FPSC Upgrade 1, your model pack will not work
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 23:59 Edited at: 8th Mar 2006 00:03
Quote: " it reads the UV and data from .x"

Eh? After converting the x file to dbo? What makes you say that?

Anyway, there will be a couple of free characters available in the next couple of days. They won't be the same style and quality as the actor pack of course, but still pretty good ..cough.. Just models from some of my tests.

Good point Habatar. Looking into it.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 00:20
These models look excellent! I'm holding of any purchase until I see what the new TGC model packs contain, but this pack is on my wish list for sure!

MegaMusic Pack 01.... 31 original soundtracks for your games!
http://www.aeilkema.dds.nl/mega/index.html
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 01:55
Quote: "Granted. BUT, it reads the UV and data from .x. "

not quite sure where you picked that up, but E.C>S. pro can load 3ds files, and upon exporting, saves as dbo, and the entities work fine.

@joh

I'm looking for more realistic looking charecters, like, scifi charecters, such as marines, monsters, aliens ETC.

Similar to HALO style stuff.

but they do look good though

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 02:59
Those would go great with a Quake or Unreal style multiplayer game; good work, Joh.

-Keith

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 03:23
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Keeps me motivated to plough ahead with more stuff.
I have a few things in the works, undecided which direction to go. Most probably a weapon pack that compliments this pack, style wise.

I do have some future soldier types (Starship Troopers),weapons and creatures in various stages of completetion. But we'll be concentrating on models that can be used easily with default weapons and scripts, before venturing into custom animated models. Thats the plan, but might change depending on how things go.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 04:18 Edited at: 8th Mar 2006 05:12
These characters are nice. The extra textures are nice too.
I would rather have it as an X file myself, instead of dbo.
I may use these in later versions of my Sci-Fi, but I'm starting with only FPSC media for the first episode.
Nice price too, keep up the good work.

What are the poly counts on the 8 models?

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 06:11
Thanks conjured. Polycount! I knew I forgot somthing on the info page.

Will get back to you guys with the info and x file issue asap.
Hmm Nobody liked the free music?

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 08:29
Joh, can you help me with my character models?

I've modelled a marine for my sci-fi game but i can't animate it or texture it. I made a thread about it.

There you can find pics of the model
AE

Origin says i'm l33t

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 15:01
By user requests we are changing the dbo files in the pack to x files!
Purchasing is currently disabled until we get the new installer up on the server. All those who have aleady purchased the pack and downloaded it will be emailed a new download link. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'll post in here when its all ready to go again.

Habatar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 15:36
Ok. Thanks Joh.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 16:26
Quote: "Anyway, there will be a couple of free characters available in the next couple of days. They won't be the same style and quality as the actor pack of course, but still pretty good ..cough.. Just models from some of my tests. "

Do you have any timescale on the release of these free models, so I can see how they behave in FPSC to help me make up my mind if your characters are suitable for me also?

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 17:16
The pack has been updated and links are active. The model pack now uses x files instead of dbo.

Benjamin:
One of the models is ready, just cleaning up the other one and was working on getting some free weapon skins ready. But seeing that you and others might want to check things out first, I'll have them up asap. Would most likely be this weekened. If earlier, I'll post in here.

This is what will be in the free stuff. Note: The weapon in the pic is the SciFi Assault rifle in FPSC. The textures are just the D2, no bump, specular etc.

Lurtz Tha Uruk Hai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 20:25 Edited at: 9th Mar 2006 20:26
You know what I think about them hé Joh, MAGNIFICANT

I'm still trying for the ShareIt thing stuff, you know what I mean

Ow yeah and by the way, nice recolering of the guns and 2 nice characters
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 20:41
Joh, thanks for the pics. I really like the 2 models, great for crowd characters, hostages and such. Also they would fit a non-violent game perfectly, I'm working on one at the moment. Guns look good to, especially the bottom one.

I love the other pack also, still debating if I can justify the cost of it, I'm mostly creating non violent games and they (at the moment) wouldn't fit to well in it.... But I'm working on a game also, which has androids in it as enemies and some in your model pack would work well most likely.

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 23:26
Thanks guys. Trying hard to get these up by the weekend.

Characters like these and androids are on the list, but it will be quite awhile before I get to them. There are other packs in the works for the next few months.

This pack does come with the UV reference textures so its not to difficult to create new textures to make them more android like. You can even pass the UV textures to someone else to do paint them, this way they don't need the model.

Here's a little tip to make the job of testing new textures ingame a little easier.

Instead of running fpsc and building a test game each time you want to see how the new texture looks. Build a small game for it.

What I do is, create a small room and place the actor you want to test. I normally place two of them. One with the normal shoot scripts so I can look at them running around and stuff. The other I use the static and passive scripts so they just stand and I can walk around it to get a better look.

Before building the game, I change some settings for the setup. I remove the title screen and menu. This way when I run the game, it goes straight to the loading screen and into the level.

Then I just save over the texture in the game folder and run the game each time I want to test. Saves a bit of time and clicking.

Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
what program you use?...dont tell me...3d max?

Silent Hill
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 12:05
Yes thats correct Liz. But I also use Fragmotion and others have been able to use Milkshape3D to make things for FPSC.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 22:36
You're upcoming projects sound great, I'll be looking forward to them, can't have enough characters!

Colonel Jax
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 09:34
loool looks awsome

ROAD TO AQSA Project .... JOin Us NoW
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 02:12
This is PATHETIC. Here we have a GREAT set of models... granted the price is a little steep, but look at the quality... pretty good qual... And it is all the way at the bottom of the forum, with many stupid threads blocking it.

Mosillivo: Fires Rage, Earth Rumble, Evil Reigns, Cities Tumble
Join the NJL: The War Has Begun, Which Side Are You On?
Nunticaelitusphobic (Scared of Internet)
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 06:00 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 08:50
Yeah, I agree.
We can come by and keep bumpin it up though.

Dude, I like your plans for new stuff.
Have you thought of adding alien heads on those bodies too?
I mean they could have two arms and legs like humans but the face is not human.
It would be like swapping the helmet for the heads.
Most of the rigging stays intact using the same bones and body.
That might speed up the process more a variety of characters rather quickly.
Did you say we have permission to retexture these models as well?
Not that there is anything wrong with yours (they look great), I was just thinking of particular uniforms.

EDIT
Does everyone realize that those free models are there at his website for download???

These Two Characters in that picture above are a free download.
Just over 10mb it took me 2+ hours at 12kbs dial up. (yeah yeah my connection sucks I know)
It was well worth it, because these models are great!
I'm sold on the pack dude.

THANKS for the FREEbies!!!

Only Dude seems to have an X file. (its a weird one)
Tony doesn't seem to have an X file.

I don't have 3D Studio Max, and I can't seem to open this X file with anything I do have.

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 08:50 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 09:09
Hey! Thanks for the support guys, mucho appreciated.

I did have that in the plan, to replace the heads/helmets with alien like heads. But it did put us in a bit of a dilemma. It does still require some design,modelling and texturing, not as much as full characters but still quite a bit of work, but we wanted to maintain the price as low as we can make it. To release another pack with just small modifications would not be right. So it would mean a whole new set of full characters. This is in the works, but I'm working on another pack of a different genre. In the meantime, we might be releasing some the modified alien characters to people who have purchased the pack, as a bonus.

To clarify, you're allowed to modify the textures, but also encouraged. This is why we included all the stuff in the extras package.

You get the base static model so you can edit or add things to it like a backpack, sidearm,etc. You'll need to do this in a modelling package of course. Included is also the uv reference bitmap making it easier to create new skins, without having to switch back and forth between your viewer and paint programs too much. This also helps if you need someone else to do the skins for you. You can just pass them reference image and not have to pass them models as well.

Its all there for you to modify to your hearts content, as long as you don't redistribute the models/textures etc,etc. The license agreement covers a few of these things and you can view it on the website. If you have any questions or there's something you're not sure about, just send an email to support. This way we can compile a FAQ to put up.

EDIT Lol I'm such an idiot. I was about to call up my buddy and ask him why the free stuff wasn't up. Didn't clear my cache.
Yep! So the 2 models plus a weapon is available as a free download. Also the skins for the assault rifle pictured above.

@Conjured Entertainment
- Dude's x file is compressed binary format. Its much smaller. ~12mb -> 3mb. FPSC uses this no problem. If you want it in text format, to load up in your 3d app to rip it apart . I can zip it up and upload here if its not too big.
- Tony only has a dbo. Its just me being cheeky since some folks think it won't work without the x file.

By the way, the SciFi pack is all X files. DBO's have been removed.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 09:02 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 10:03
I was wrong about the DBOs. (put them back in)
It seems that FPSC could not find the models without them.
Its strange because it generates new ones for the FPSC models' x files if you delete them.

Quote: "Its all there for you to modify to your hearts content, as long as you don't redistribute the models/textures etc,etc. The license agreement covers a few of these things and you can view it on the website. "

Yeah, nothing in the License says that I can distribute the models in my games.

Taken from #3
Quote: "Except as set forth herein, you may not rent, sell, lease, barter, sublicense or distribute the Software, either by itself or as part of a collection. "

My game is a collection of media.

Not to be harsh here, but isn't it easy to claim "Royalty Free" when you don't allow us to distribute it?
How could anyone possibly use this commercially under its current license agreement?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking your work. I love the models.
I need to be able to distribute them in my games though, for them to be of any value to me.

I don't like that sentence or the lack of the "can do"s in the license for the pay thing, but...
Quote: "The Free FPSC Stuff is not supported by Murkymedia or Rapture Enterprise.

Copyright 2006 JohanessReuben. Free for commercial and non-commercial use.
Credits would be nice but not required.

"

Now that sounds great! (You'll get credit)
I like the terms for the Freebies.
I can use these! (Imagine these two guys saving our Galaxy)

THANKS!

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 09:50 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 09:54
Need to read on mate.
That part is refering to the pack itself.
Quote: "The media and software accompanying this license and the related documentation (the “Software”) are licensed for your use, subject to terms and limitations in this license agreement. The license fee you paid gives you the right to make both commercial and non-commercial use of the Software."

The "collection" in common usage refers to media packages,etc. Your game is classified as a software and not a collection of media, like a media pack.

also in #3
Quote: "Media that is distributed with an FPS Creator game does not need to be hidden, encrypted or otherwise obscured. It may however be advisable to use a file packer (e.g. FPSPack) or other software to protect what you have paid for."

Royalty free - Use the media in your game and sell or give away your games (distribute your game) and you don't have to pay any royalties or anything extra. Even if you make millions of dollars and we die starving artists.

As for modifications: #4
Quote: "4. Derivative Works and Modifications. The textures and .x models provided in this software may be modified and distributed, subject to the following restrictions:

i. Your modified textures and .x models must be total modifications and NOT slightly changed versions (e.g. just color changes) of the original textures and .x models. Your modified textures and .x models should be unrecognizable when compared to the original textures and .x models."

I've highlighted the key points here. We added this part in to support budding young artists. The above basically means, if you want to use the models and textures as a template to model new chacarters and distribute them you are free to do so. Again this is in relation to distributing the media and not to your game.

Well hope that clears up things. Thats good feedback, need to probably make the license a bit clearer. Will add questions like these to a faq.
Just a note, my buddy and I have used many different kinds of media packs and quite often been frustrated by restrictions, for example, there are some media packs out there that can't be used with FPSC because the files need to be encrypted. We try to be liberal, unrestrictive, and supportive of the indie community as possible.

Quote: " I was wrong about the DBOs. (put them back in)"

Ayo! sorry my fault, was in a bit of a hurry. Open the Dude.fpe and change this line.
"model = Dude.dbo", should be "model = Dude.x"

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 10:08 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 11:31
Okay,
its all called "Software", and I can use it in my games.

Quote: "Upon purchase you will be provided with a download link to the zip archive. The zip archive is a 42MB download containing two installers. "

Like I said, my connection is a very slow dial-up.
If I can't download it the first time will I get another chance?

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 11:38 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 11:38
Right. We'll get a faq going as as we can. Until then, to clear up any concerns anyone has, send us an email at support@murkymedia.com.

In the meantime, yes you can distribute the models and textures within your games,demos and applications as included media. We're just trying to protect ourselves and people who have paid for the packs, from those who repackage/resell the models and textures or upload them to websites/forums, etc.

Quote: "I just want to re-texture the models for custom uniforms.
I might not be good enough for someone to not recognize the model"

If its for your games, its no issue. You can change as little or as much as you want.
It only really relates to people who make small changes and upload or resell it as their own, arguing that its different. "eg. "I put a cow head instead of a helmet and textured it with cow hide, so its not the same."

As for the textures, if you want to make new skins and give these away, sure. Heck, we're pretty laid back on the textures. If you want to just modify bits of the textures and upload them, thats cool. Textures only not models!

Did you get those freebies working?

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 17:12
I like the free characters, pretty cool. The dude is even better then the other one, that one is a bit rough, but his face is excellent though!

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 18:43 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 19:43
Quote: "Did you get those freebies working?"

Yeah man,
I hadn't thought of looking in the FPE. (all mine call the X)
Once I made that change, I didn't need the DBO anymore.
Since I had the X file or Dude, it seems his Polycount is 996.
I would love to have the Tony X as well you know.
The gun looks like a water soaker or paint ball gun with those neon colors.
I like it. Thanks again.

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 02:47
@Benjamin A:
Glad you like em. Yeah Tony is a bit rough. He was my first test. Converting existing models to fpsc without adjustments. His polycount is under 1k too.

@Conjured Entertainment:
Quote: "If I can't download it the first time will I get another chance?"

Send an email to support@murkymedia.com and Rus will answer your questions. He handles all issues regarding purchases. The link is either valid for a set number of downloads or days. Not sure which one and best to check with Rus.

Cool, you got it working. The moment you load the character into fpsc it gets converted to dbo. Same thing with the tga. What fpsc seems to do is, look for the file specified in the fpe then look for the dbo or dds of the same name. If its found it will use that, otherwise make one.
If you make a change in the x file, you need to delete the dbo before sucking it back into the editor. When I'm not changing anything with the meshes or animation, I remove the x file and change the fpe tp point to the dbo, since the x file is no longer needed. I store the x files elsewhere along with the original 3d app files etc. Keeps the fpsc folders neater.

----

The weapon was a soaker type thingy, SKR. It was for an idea I was working on. Change the muzzle and blood to water splash, and make some wetlook alternate textures. Don't have the time to see it through, maybe later or someone else might like to do it.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 03:12 Edited at: 15th Mar 2006 19:56
Quote: "Cool, you got it working. The moment you load the character into fpsc it gets converted to dbo... If you make a change in the x file, you need to delete the dbo before sucking it back into the editor. "

I know FPSC creates the DBO for me, thats why I wanted the X instead.
I delete those DBO and BIN files every change I make.
Changes can be made with the X file.
I can't change much of anything without it.
I need the X for Tony so I can change his model's texture. (real faces maybe)
The email to Rus was sent right before I sent the one to your email.

Edit

Okay people, I bought this Pack and it's awesome.
Don't forget about those extras, because they rock!

These are FPSC Ready people, and its a lot of new characters for only $20.

THANK YOU MURKYMEDIA!

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 13:48
Thanks,Joh.This is some nice stuff.Keep up the good work.

Not changing this sig until I get rich
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 14:14
Cool. Hope you guys put it to some good use. Hopefully there'll be more soon. Been working on the next actor pack (can't say what yet) and also experimenting with stuff. Usually the experiments, I will give out for free.

What do you guys think of the music? If its crap tell me, then I won't waste time and webspace putting up more .

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 15:06
Any music is better than the kazoo crap I could come up with. Like my mom always says,
"Don't complain if it's free"...or something like that.

Anyways,keep up all the stuff you've been doing .It's good.And thanks again.

RJ is out Leave a message
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 17:21
Dear MurkyMedia,
I download your free stuff and the zip file was corrupt.
Please recheck your packaging thanks.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 19:36
I downloaded his free stuff and it worked just fine for me.
Especially the weapon.It's cool.Thanks again.

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 00:07
really cool to use the jetpack with theese enemys! You courld do a superwar in space! I dont know if I courld do it better Myself! By the way, how many polys does theese Characters have?

Stop listening to rumors! Listen to the truth...
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 02:10
Raymond J:
The zips seem fine. Try downloading again or send an email to support@murkymedia.com stating which zip file you're having trouble with, if you haven't done so already. Rus will check it, also helps him keep track of problems. Please allow some time for a response, time differences etc. Thanks

I has returned:
You're welcome. Hope you're having fun with it.

MrLove:
If you're asking about the actor pack, on the product page theres a render with all 16 models lined up. Click on it for a larger view, I've added the polucounts for the models on there.
If you're asking about the free ones, they're 900-1k each. I can't remember for the weapon.

I'm trying to keep all the models we do low to medium spec for the time being. This is so it works well for wider group of users. The textures are 1024x1024 as they are easy enough to rescale if required. There's no normal maps,specular maps etc for the time being as this takes a lot more work and longer to do.

I'll see if I can dig out more free stuff this weekend.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 02:44
Quote: "I can't remember for the weapon"

Approx. Polycount = 485 for that free gun.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 03:38
That gun is so cool.

Rus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 09:31
Hi all,

This is Rus, owner and webmaster of murkymedia.com. I work closely with Joh to make sure these model & audio packs work properly and are accessible to all you guys.

Thanks for all the support and purchases! We can't do this without you guys!

Raymond J:
The zips are in working order. As Joh said please try downloading them again.

Conjured Entertainment:
Thanks so much for all the useful feedback.

To All:
Any problems with the website and purchases specifically should be sent to me at support@murkymedia.com. That'll keep this forum nice and clean and full of relevant info.

Again, cheers guys!
himynameisali
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 12:04
Your work is friggin' awesome, Joh!

Please, keep it up!

Formally known as 'Ali M'
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 12:38
Yeah!Awesome!That has to be about the coolest weapon.Thanks again.

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 18:31
Hey thanks guys.
Managed to dig out some stuff over the weekend but havent set it up for fpsc yet. Been working on the commercial stuff which of course comes first.

Might be able to wack out some stuff this week. I'll keep you guys posted here.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 04:23:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 04:23:25