Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Jumping into the deep end, with nothing but water wings.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2006 08:18 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2006 09:28
I'm a xx year old gaming enthusiast with big ideas, huge ideas in fact.

I have a rather large idea for a free roaming, island hopping game where you are a nameless character out to seek revenge for the destruction of the world, the death of your family and the horrible mutilation of your body. The basic story goes like this, the game has a dark plot, which involves you stopping the return of an evil sorcerer, who shattered your land into millions of pieces. This involves you tracking down a group known as the Red Fang, who are searching for the soul of their leader and hoping to revive him. But that's where the linearity ends. If you've ever seen the brilliant anime series "The Avatar", that's the sort of quality I'm looking to replicate in all the aspects of my game.

You can do two things in the game; tackle on the massive plot by sailing to the main islands of the game, or go from random island to random island earning money and trying to become a respected captain

However, this is the bare basics of the game. As ideas come to me i am storing them in a wordpad file, which is now quite long.

So why am i sharing my ideas with you all? It's because I need help, LOADS of it. I have a limited ground in coding, but that's all. I need a huge list of things, including:
* .X object converters and viewers (Please don't reccomend Blender)
* Lots of coding tutorials including
-Help on functions
-Saving games
-working with 3d objects
-lighting
-sky spheres
-Animation
-Optimising your code
* Human resourses (sound people, object makers, code experts)

Sometime in the future im hoping to setup a website dedicated to the game and get a small community of helpy helpers together who will eventually be hailed as the greatest freeware designers of all time. I know that jumping into a large game when you're a begginer is strictly taboo, but i'm not a complete noob. I have a large knowledge of 3d modelling and have worked with some of clickteam's products for years.

Oh and one more thing, i'm serious. Where you might be thinking "He's just caught in a burst of inspiration" or "He'll never finish it", you're wrong. I've been down the road of non-completion too many times, and I know a good idea when it hits me. I've been working on a "Game plan" for months, and I never get sick of sitting in front of the computer and writing another chapter in the plot, or ironing out some of the game's finer points.

But i digress, if you have any thoughts or any ideas that might help me, I would love to hear anything that you've got to say. Also, if you want to know more about the game, please let me know. The file I have on it is too large to post here and would just bore casual readers.

"What comes up, must come down. Except cheques, they bounce."
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2006 13:01
hi

could you give more of an idea of where you are gonna need help in your game, you say working with 3d objects do you mean making them animating them or moving them.

You know just give a bit more info.

When it comes to the summer holidays at the end of this week I will be more than happy to help if i knew what it involved.

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2006 14:36 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2006 14:41
Here's some skysphere code! This texture is created in Dark Basic, and it could just as easily be a texture that you make in Photoshop or something.

Dark Basic Pro:

If you have Dark Basic Professional that is. It may work in DarkBasic Classic as well.

The best place to start would be to get DarkBasic Pro or DarkBasic Classic, if you don't already have one of them. It's good to know some code if you are to be the head of this project.

DrEnzyme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 04:59
Sorry I havn't been to this thread in a blue moon, but I don't actually have the internet at home. Don't worry, i'm hoping to get it nice and soon.

Big man, to answer your question, I need help with all three things that you've listed. If I had a 3d modelling program that DARKbasic doesn't throw a fit over then I could probably do all three things by myself, but alas, that is not the case.

Oh and Sixty Squares, your code snippet was Moi Bien! I already have DARKbasic Proffesional but I can't agree with you more that I need some coding knowledge. I'm pretty bright so I'm hoping to do some correspondence work with some people in Australia next year but it's very difficult when you live in a small country some quite some distance from everywhere else in the world, except Australia. Can you guess where I live?

Oh and one of the major things I need help with is code optimisation. It is my dream that this super-fantastic ultra-free game that i'm going to make can run on any computer, even my own crappy excuse for a door stop. A lot of the big companies frown upon this idea because they think, "This guy is rich enough to buy our game so he/she must be rich enough to have an awesome computer".

I'll try to get a sample of my game plan up on this thread so that people can see what i'm thinking but I don't want to reveal too much . I don't want any more-capable coders getting their hands on it and making MY dream .

"What comes up, must come down. Except cheques, they bounce."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 05:21:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 05:21:49