Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / newbe to DB and game programing!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well as title says am new to all this but I want to jump right into the deepend and make a MMPOG like world of warcraft or legend of mir.

so basicly Id like to know if there any help files for DB on online games and how to make the basic layout of games such as landscap buildings and people?
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 21:21 Edited at: 13th Aug 2006 22:04
DO NOT post things like this! People will get angry... Anyway, look around for some tutorials. There was a tutorial question asked in this forum and it's close. Look for "Fast Learning DBPro". You CANNOT just jump right in and make a MMORPG unless you are very talented...

Here's something:
1. When you write code, you are giving your program commands. These commands are executed in order from top to bottom. For example, if you create a person first, then tell him to move, he will. But, if you tell the person to move and then create him, that won't work because he won't have existed when you told him to move.

SimonL
Years of Service
User Offline
o ok sorry!

well maybe you can help me with basic stuff like how to add a background image then add 3 or more images onto it and align them anywere on window?

and sorry about the bad start
Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 23:18
Welcome SimonL!

Nice to see a new face. If you are a total N00b to DB, let alone to programming in general, then start with a pong like game, or even, text practise and positiong, beleive me, its useful stuff to know.

*PSST* i havn't actually made a working version of pong yet. i gave up cos of lag *wink wink*

Atm im coding a matrix editor, which is rather hard in itself. As Sixty sed, there are plenty of tutorials around here, all of which are very helpful, tho to learn the most from them, you must at least ATTEMPT to understand what is going on, rather than C+P into a program.

One last thing, amke sure people know if your using DBC or DBPro, as im using DBC and its quite alot diff to DBP.
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 16:24 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 16:25
Welcome to the forums, SimonL.

Well, you cant just jump in to a project, and especially not a mmorpg (mmorpg´s are extremly difficult to make for the professionals, and impossible for a noob. But I do not want to scare you away from your project, just wait with it until you got the required experiance, just keep in mind that that take time, so be patient). As Ginga said: start small, with pong, as an example. And be patient. Goodluck.

Ohh, and just as a note. Ive not made pong myself either .

Quote: "DO NOT post things like this! People will get angry..."

Angry??? I didnt even think about the possibility to get angry.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 19:26
Hee hee sorry bout that. Just thought some people would get angry if you post a bunch of things saying "How do I make an MMORPG?"

But now I see that all he wants is a little help to reach that ultimate goal later, not now, so Welcome SimonL!

Good luck, I hope that one day you do create an MMORPG! (Maybe an RPG first, those are fun too )

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 03:01
Quote: "well maybe you can help me with basic stuff like how to add a background image then add 3 or more images onto it and align them anywere on window?"

Even thats not basic , if you're completely new to programming it'd be smarter to start reading the tutorials on variables, functions, operators and basic program strucutre before you think about implementing images. Theres a few tutorials that come with DBP, plus Tutorial City (someone might link, if not just search it in the forums).

Projects: Online CTF Game | Newcommer's Guide to FPS's
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 07:11 Edited at: 15th Aug 2006 07:12
Welcome to the forums .

Not to discourage you, but you won't be able to make an MMORPG anytime soon . Those take 50-100 professionals working in an office everyday together for years . Start out easy, work your way up . Ask questions, look at tutorials, and have fun .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 12:30 Edited at: 15th Aug 2006 12:32
Quote: "Those take 50-100 professionals working in an office everyday together for years"

uh-oh, our project's not a mmo but it's fun how you said that when you were the one to start our project, and we're only five people

btw i made pong yesterday, my first game was a adventure game with rpg elements, the secound was zombie hunter, so i guess i started the other way around :/

btw, i'm not sure why people tell beginners to write a pong game. infact that was one of the hardest math i've came across! (but don't be scared by what i say, i'm really not that good yet)
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 20:03 Edited at: 15th Aug 2006 20:04
Quote: "btw, i'm not sure why people tell beginners to write a pong game. infact that was one of the hardest math i've came across! (but don't be scared by what i say, i'm really not that good yet) "

Lol. Now I know its just not me being a bad programmer. I just repeated what everyone else have said, when I suggested pong (it seems to be so easy to do).
New In Programming
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi People,

I want to learn darkbasic for game programming, although i am not a programmer ,had done Basic in 1998, i am into linux mailserver setups but i am interested in darkbasic,would appreciate any help.

P.S : My logic of programming is not so good.

Zulfiqar
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 21:57
i think i have 20 lines of math for the ball, using sin and cos to calculate which angle to fly when it hits paddles and other cool stuff. doesn't work very well though. but i guess if you stick with some simpler math it would be easier like "x = 2, if wallcollision then x = -2". but i wanted to ge able to shoot the ball where i wanted from where it hits the paddle, not just pre-fixed angles.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 15:35
Lukas, use Sparky's dll for that. It returns the bounce angle.

Projects: Online CTF Game | Newcommer's Guide to FPS's
New In Programming
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi People,

I want to learn darkbasic for game programming, although i am not a programmer ,had done Basic in 1989 (not 1998), i am into linux mailserver setups but i am interested in darkbasic,would appreciate any help.

P.S : My logic of programming is not so good.

Zulfiqar
SimonL
Years of Service
User Offline
ok so looks like I have to plan my project and learn from basics making little files learning how to code in DBPro am a fast learner and am not new to programing I have my own voice/video chat system made with pascal and its looks mostly the same I just want to move to game dev so I can make a online game.

so any helps or links would be wonderful
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 04:27 Edited at: 17th Aug 2006 04:28
Quote: "Quote: "Those take 50-100 professionals working in an office everyday together for years"
uh-oh, our project's not a mmo but it's fun how you said that when you were the one to start our project, and we're only five people "

yes but, like you said, ours isn't an MMO and ours isn't professional quality. I guess I did exaggerate for effect, but it's not far from the truth . To make a professional quality, commercial MMORPG, it takes a large team of anywhere from 30 to 150 people a few years to develop such a project .

EDIT: Speaking of PoPR, where ya been? Haven't seen you around the PoPR boards in a while .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 07:55
Look at the newsletters that come every month they always have a tutorial or two. Also around the forums as people always make tutorials.

Quote: "btw, i'm not sure why people tell beginners to write a pong game. infact that was one of the hardest math i've came across! (but don't be scared by what i say, i'm really not that good yet)"

Lol thats what I thought and then RiiDii showed me the easy way to code a basic ball movement although it's not perfect.

here it is

But you can do it the complicated way since mine is very basic.

Naruto is the ninja...not really

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 11:38 Edited at: 17th Aug 2006 11:45
Quote: " Lukas, use Sparky's dll for that. It returns the bounce angle."

yes, but mine is 2d. it have the same graphical feel as the original

here it is:

come to think of it,
this is my first 2d game in darkbasic/dbpro

Gil,
i've been uh... busy.. it's not like i am avoiding you or popr at all or anything like that
no seriously, i think i forgot that we had a forum, i do that once in a while.
and i have work and my band, and other projects of my own.
basically i am just waiting for *that* moment when i want to do something cool in dbp/popr.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 07:30:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 07:30:35