Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hey I'm a begginner, wondered how hard this is? how long will it take to be able to make something?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 19:02
Hi,
The title is pretty self explanatory.
I really want to learn either C++ or DarkBasic, I am experienced with computers in general, but Coding is a strange thing to me..
Any Advice would be helpful.
I really want to make an Rts.

Rob.
Thanks.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 19:44
Well, if you start with C++ then you will have a very hard time making an RTS, if anything. With DarkBASIC, you can make pretty much anything you want, with ease (but not without work too), and also you can learn the basics of programming, so if you want you can move to C++ being confident that you can understand the principles.

Sonic 91 Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 20:52
does the c in c languages stand for cryptic? becuase if it doesn't, i think it should! db is the easiest and most flexible language i have ever used.

I am a Christian and I know that God loves me. That is what makes my life so great!
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 21:49
Not as flexible as some languages, such as C++ (which is why so many people use it), but flexible enough

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 23:50
If you can't decide there's Dark Game SDK which combines DBPro and C++. However I have not used the program so I cant' tell you how it is.

As for making something, well you can make a 3D object appear on the screen in a few minutes depending on how fast of a learner you are. If you have one command/ if-endif statement per line, you could make a cube with a third person camera following it in about 9 lines of code or less using DBPro or DBC.

DarkMasta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 14:12
I find Dark Basic is the best thing to combine newbie with a graphical game. That's the most direct-linking program ever made, i think, but then, I haven't got much experience myself with other prog-progs.

Wherever you plan to go,
it's the next step you never know.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 23:53
Robbee101, download the Darkbasic Pro trial and start playing with it. We can tell you how hard it's going to be but you won't really know unless you try it yourself.

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=trial
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2006 03:26 Edited at: 21st Oct 2006 03:26
wiki reference

The initial development of C occurred at AT&T Bell Labs between 1969 and 1973; according to Ritchie, the most creative period occurred in 1972. It was named "C" because many of its features were derived from an earlier language called "B," which according to Ken Thompson was a stripped down version of the BCPL programming language.
There are many legends as to the origin of C and the closely related Unix operating system, including these:
The development of Unix was the result of programmers' desire to play the Space Travel video-game. They had been playing it on their company's mainframe, but as it was underpowered and had to support about 100 users, Thompson and Ritchie found they did not have sufficient control over the spaceship to avoid collisions with the wandering space rocks. This led to the decision to port the game to an idle PDP-7 in the office. As this machine lacked an operating system, the two set out to develop one, based on several ideas from colleagues. Eventually it was decided to port the operating system to the office's PDP-11, but faced with the daunting task of translating a large body of custom-written assembly language code, the programmers began considering using a portable, high-level language so that the OS could be ported easily from one computer to another. They looked at using B, but it lacked functionality to take advantage of some of the PDP-11's advanced features. This led to the development of an early version of the C programming language.
The justification for obtaining the original computer to be used in developing the Unix operating system was to create a system to automate the filing of patents. The original version of the Unix system was developed in assembly language. Later, the entire operating system was rewritten in C, an unprecedented move at a time when nearly all operating systems were written in assembly.
By 1973, the C language had become powerful enough that most of the Unix kernel, originally written in PDP-11 assembly language, was rewritten in C. This was one of the first operating system kernels implemented in a language other than assembly. (Earlier instances include the Multics system (written in PL/I), and MCP (Master Control Program) for Burroughs B5000 written in ALGOL in 1961.)

Kenny77
Years of Service
User Offline
If you really want to learn to make games, I'd go with DarkBASIC Professional. Having gone somewhat down the C++ road myself, I know it's a long and slow trip. I worked with C++ for 3 months and I was still stuck learning it, and it was always the same white text on a black background, but with DarkBASIC Pro, I was making little 2D games within a week. If you're really patient and want a headstart for college or a career, then go with C++, otherwise, I'd highly recommend DarkBASIC Pro.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 01:14
When I was playing with C++ I had to go "old school" to get color. I loaded ansi.sys and used ansi color codes. Only 16 colors but better than just one color.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 11:25:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 11:25:44