Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / modeling sword

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 06:51 Edited at: 16th Dec 2006 07:00
here is a model of a sword I made. It's low poly for gaming, and ended up being 137 polys. Is this a good number for something like a weapon? Is it better to make things lower poly or can DBP accomodate more detailed models? Here's a look at the sword made freehand from a ref pic with c4d/bodypaint and the texture I made in photoshop.

thanks for the input!!! If this is good, I've started on a few other medieval style weapons that will be better textured than this hastily done one (which will also be re textured).

D
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 20:08
yes, it looks very nice, and that is a very good poly count for a model like that, but I wouldn't try to add more details, the lower the better, you have to get as few poly's as you can out of every object while still maintaining a good look .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 23:21 Edited at: 16th Dec 2006 23:22
Personally I like it Only the sword could look a bit more metal than blue...

P.S. How did you UV map that lol... I'm no good at modeling stuff.

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 01:20 Edited at: 17th Dec 2006 01:54
Well, texture quality is more important than poly count in my opinion. Either way, that's a great sword. Love the blue glow around the middle. I don't mind low poly counts unless they dip near the level of Super Mario 64 (anyone remember that game?), retail games put 80% effort into graphics and only 20% fun (very bad decision), which is why I only play Nintendo.

Did you make it in gameSpace? I to am confused about UV mapping too, gameSpace has an ETGLIIYNFWIG (easy-to-get-lost-in-if-your-not-familiar-with-it-gui)

Dracula
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 01:23
thank you Gil and Sixty. I will be retexturing the sword and making it more silvery than blue. (my brother asked me if it was glowing blue because the orcs were near, lol.) I UV mapped it with Body Paint. Body Paint puts progs like Lithunwrap to shame. It took me about 3 tutorials to figure out how to do it, but it was worth the several hours I spent learning. Definitely worth buying if you have the spare cash. I don't know if you need Cinema 4D, too.

Thanks again!!
Dracula
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 15:24
thanks code dragon For anyone with problems uvwrapping, I highly recommend BodyPaint. Super easy to uvunwrap. Here's a new pic of the sword in my test project. The crappy gobby hero is holding it and it is there floating in the ring of stones. One question: I did not scale the model. Why is it so much larger when I place it as a free object rather than as an attachment to a limb?

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 09:08
nicely done!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 15:24:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 15:24:20