Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What is better for learning

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have question about learning game development

What is easier??

DarkBasic Classic
DarkBasic Pro

and why..

Thanks for replies

Only learning will make a pro game developers from us
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 23:19
Well, there is a page on this site someplace that tells you the pros and cons of each. But in my opinion DarkBasic Classic is better for learning: the help files are much more useful. DarkBasic Pro is better to use after you've learned DarkBasic and are ready to take your games to the next level.

Kesav
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for reply Sixty Squares

Only learning will make a pro game developers from us
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 00:33 Edited at: 17th Dec 2006 00:43
Quote: "Well, there is a page on this site someplace that tells you the pros and cons of each. But in my opinion DarkBasic Classic is better for learning: the help files are much more useful."

I know this is about personal preference. But I don't agree here. DarkBasic Classic and DarkBasic Pro isn't different in the level of difficulty. And if it should be, I would say that DarkBasic Pro actually have commands that makes it easier over DarkBasic Classic. Purchasing DarkBasic Classic would be a waste of money. The difference between DarkBasic Pro and DarkBasic Classic is the features. They even state it themself on the page that the "pro" doesn't mean that it's harder. It's just all the extra features. I purchased DarkBasic Classic first, but quickly switched to to DarkBasic Pro because I simply wanted all those extra features. And above that, DarkBasic Pro is also supported very much by TGC and updates are continuesly released, while DarkBasic Classic isn't updated anymore and still uses DX8.1 or something like that, while DarkBasic Pro is using the latest version of DX9.

About the documentation, you will find many tutorials on these forums for DBPro too, and the help files that's provided with DarkBasic Pro isn't bad either. DBPro has a whole lot of documentation to it around the net. Tutorial City is for example a great place:
http://members.thegamecreators.com/tutorialcity/

If you're serious about game making, buying DarkBasic Classic is simply just a waste of money. Because you will be moving to DarkBasic Pro quickly anyway.

Quote: "DarkBasic Pro is better to use after you've learned DarkBasic and are ready to take your games to the next level.
"

Well if you start off buying DBPro you're already ready to take your games to the next level instead of spending even more money

Just stating my oppinion.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 01:07 Edited at: 17th Dec 2006 01:07
No, I'd definetly get DarkBasic Pro, they are both the exact same language except Pro has better features and is updated more, and has more support on the forums. Definetly go with Pro .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 01:08 Edited at: 17th Dec 2006 01:12
Yep, Dark Basic Pro isn't harder to learn than Dark Basic Classic at all, it's probobly easier. There's much more support for it. (Including my tutorial, see my sig) Dark Basic Pro will pay for itself once you start publishing games if you're good at it.* Actually, Dark Basic Pro isn't hard, it's learning to use it fluently that's hard.** It has a whole lot more commands, but these won't ever get in your way because you're typing them, you can't accidentally load an image if you don't know the command "load image"

*This is also why I'm getting Caligari gameSpace. (To make 3d models and worlds) People aren't as interested in 2d games anymore, developing for 3d games is where the money is!

**That's why I strongly oppose genetic programming systems, if anyone remembers my old sig. (They're programs that program for you, thus making programmers lose their jobs.) "If you've ever written a computer program, you'll obiviously know this fact: Programming is hard" the dreamers say, how wrong they are. "Learning to program is easy, learning to program well is not." a quote from the site Joel on Software, if I'm correct.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 03:09
This is an old chestnut...

If you are totally new to programming and are not sure if you'll like it, then DBC is great to start off with. It can be picked up a lot cheaper than Pro and if you find programming too hard (remember it's not for everyone), then you've not wasted as much money.

DBPro is definitely better, but for a complete novice, all those extra advanced features won't be needed.

DBC has everything you could possibly want while learning and the skills you learn can be taken with you when you upgrade to DBPro later on.

So, if money isn't an issue, I would go straight for DBPro. If it is, and I was starting to program from scratch then I would start with DBC.

As for support, true - DBC isn't being updated any more, but there's little wrong with it anyway. There are also still plenty of DBC users on the forums who can help out if you have any questions.

If I'm honest, I'm still quite happy using DBC, though I'm not trying to write the next Half-Life or Doom. The basic core of both is essentially the same - programming-wise.

TDK_Man

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 16:16
Well, if you're not sure which one you want you can download something like QBASIC, it's free but old and good for learning programming. Don't try to do graphics, though it's to low level. Try text adventures, they're pretty easy for those new to programming and can teach you a lot, that's how I started.

Cave Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 05:13 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 05:14
Get DBP. You can test it out with the free trial. DBP isn't any harder than DBC, and there are a bunch of tutorials for it.
Dame Chaton De
Years of Service
User Offline
what i would like to know, is...

classic just a subset of pro, or is it different animal altogether??

thus if i used the book and the examples in it but used dbp, to do the actual compiling will it work unchanged?

i understand the user interface is different but are the commands ??

visit me online at:
http://mrzkitten.bravehost.com/
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2006 23:07
Pro is the superset of Classic. The commands are nearly completely the same, though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 15:15:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 15:15:08