Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / FPSC always views all polygons in level?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe I was wrong, but I thought that when you are in a corridor, the polygons on the rest of the level that you can't see would not affect the level. But when I ran it, my frame rate dropped from 20 to 4. But when I turn around it jumps right back up. Basically, I have a part of my level that takes place in a ventilation duct that runs along the outside edge of one side of the level. And when I turn in the direction of the rest of the level, even though you can't see it in the duct, it causes my polys to jump from 10 - 12k(if that) to over 40k. I thought I read somewhere that if you can't see the level it wouldn't affect the frame rate of your game. Just thought I would ask for a clarification on that. If there's no way around hiding those extra polys while in the duct, I'll just move the duct so that it never faces that part. Wow, this looks long. Well goodby for now and Merry Christmas (Or happy... whatever everyone is celebrating ) And no matter what it is... HAVE FUN

LIFE: "That thing that happens to us when we are too young to die"
~V.J.C. 2003
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2006 17:10
I have the same type of problem, also in a ventilation duct. When I'm going down it, away from the rest of the level, the framerate slows to 5, yet going towards the level, the framerate jumps back up to around 27, weird!

G4fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2006 17:46 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2006 17:47
Every segment, entity, and even a marker as polygons. They all exist in the lvl, that means they are not activated. Dromant polys exist in a state of mind that is called by some people as: "stand-by polys" Only cretain, but vital functions are active during this time. Until the point in time where you have faced them, they become fully awake. In other words, if you can see them, they are fully active visa-versa if you can't. The reason your frame rate droped so imensly, is beacuse during that scene, you must have been facing less ploys than before; when you are facing the lvl, you are facing more polys. You don't have to see them for them to become active. You just need to face them. Where ever you read that, they were lying to you. I'd try to re-position your ventduct so that it won't ever face the lvl. You could also make a smaller lvl if you wanted to invest your time in that.

I hope this helps some!

Best of Luck,
G4fan

My first game: "Wars of Crime"-31% completed

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 02:37:34
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 02:37:34