Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Total Newbie

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope I don't get flamed but where should I start to learn more about game development. Also which platform is easiest to learn.
Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 12:02 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2007 12:02
Buy dark basic pro if you haven't. It's the easiest by far and get the dreams of making console games out of your head unless you now what this means

All bow down to evil
Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 15:30
yea, or you could spend 4 weeks learning the basics of all language and then look at different programs syntax and choose the one u like best and will work best for u...

Mess with the bests, die like the restes!
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 17:05
Yep get Dark basic pro its a really good program.

And then look around these forums and other members sites to get some tutorials and dot forget to ask questions on this forum you shouldn't get flamed.

hope this helps

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 18:03
Well, for me DarkBasic Classic (the first one) is easiest to get the basics down with due to the fact that its tutorials and such are much easier to understand. Dark Basic Professional is far more capable though. You get more options. Anyways, I believe that both of them have Trial Versions if you want to try each one out or something.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 18:07
Don't know if this is what your looking for, but I wrote a guide about game making that might help: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=89180&b=7

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 18:55 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2007 19:02
Get Dark Basic Pro, it's built on the BASIC language, which is the easiest programming language to learn. Dark Basic Classic is no easier than Pro, Pro has much more capabilities and the extra features won't get in your way if you don't understand them.

Just to clarify something, (lots of newcomers think this) programming is not "drag and drop a monster here, drag and drop the player here, check the 'player has a sword' checkbox and press the make game button" If you want that buy the 3D Game Maker or FPS Creator. You'll never to be able to make a dream game with that, because you're limited to what the program gives you. Dark Basic Pro is a programming language, you talk to the computer. This means typing commands in the exact order you want them to be done. If you want a spinning cube, type this:

With programming you can make the computer do anything you want as long as you can tranlate it from a human understandable language to code.

DBP makes game making loads easier. With C++ (the lanugage for console development), you'd need about hundreds of lines of code to do that. (A sequence of commands is called code)

Quote: "get the dreams of making console games out of your head unless you now what this means"

Console games aren't pipe dreams, you know. You can make console games if you're willing to buy an SDK for about $2000 and have several years of programming in C++. You have to be serious about game making to get that far though, but it's been done.

If you get DBP, do a search for Pac-Man and read my tutorial.

"Did I ever tell you how I got the nickname the Dragon of the West?"
"I'm not interested in a lengthy anecdote, Uncle."
"It's more of a demonstration really."
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 22:42
DBPRO DBPRO DBPRO
DBPRO DBPRO DBPRO
DBPRO DBPRO DBPRO
DBPRO DBPRO DBPRO
DBPRO DBPRO DBPRO
DBPRO DBPRO DBPRO
DBPRO DBPRO DBPRO
DBPRO DBPRO DBPRO

Get my message?

-Mansoor S

(Formerly Xenocythe)
Leondrel
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi!

Well, i`m new into this computing/programing videogames thingie, i have taked a look to the stuff that "the game creators" team has to offer, but, before i make a buy i will like to talk with people that haves experience using the programs:

1.- Will any of this product supports the use of periperals like a light gun? i meant, like a 1st person shooter where you can use a gun instead a mouse, a controller or the keyboard?, if not, there`s a program that makes that?

2.- Does this programs support the use of "verbal orders" via microphone?

3.- Do i really have the chance to make comercial quality games like a kick & punch stuff like the "Tekken" series or Rpg`s FFVII style?.

Hope you can help me.

Bye!

Leo.

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 23:04
Hello. If you're into video game development, I highly recommend Dark Basic Pro. It makes making games easier than it is in professional companies. (Though it still requires lots of work)

Quote: "1.- Will any of this controller or the keyboard?, if not,
there`s a program that makes that?product supports the use of periperals like a light gun? i meant, like a 1st person shooter where you can use a gun instead a mouse, a "

I don't think so. DBP is for the PC only, it can do input from mouse, keyboard, and joystick but I don't think custom devices.

Quote: "2.- Does this programs support the use of "verbal orders" via microphone?"

No. You can record sounds, but without the help of a plugin or dll (which I'm not sure if there is one...yet) it won't be as easy as:

get text from sound$(sound1)

You'd pretty much have to write your own voice recognition software, which I can imagine is very hard.

Quote: "3.- Do i really have the chance to make comercial quality games like a kick & punch stuff like the "Tekken" series or Rpg`s FFVII style?."

Yes! DBP can make anything you want it to as long as you have the skills. There's certainly people who've made money off of games they created in DBP. (There's not many of these people because it takes a lot of experience and a lot of effort, and most people aren't at that experience level yet.)

Quote: "Gimme teh code!"

Thank you for not flooding the forums with posts like this.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 10th Jan 2007 06:51
Quote: "Will any of this product supports the use of periperals like a light gun? i meant, like a 1st person shooter where you can use a gun instead a mouse, a controller or the keyboard?, if not, there`s a program that makes that?"

There aren't very many PC games that use a LightGun so it was probably low on the list of stuff TGC wanted in Darkbasic.

You want to make games that many people can use. Anybody that has a computer capable of playing a game you make in Darkbasic is going to have a mouse. The amount of people that'll have a Lightgun for a computer is probably so low you wouldn't want to go through the trouble of giving that as an option even if Darkbasic could use Lightguns.

Darkbasic Pro does have joystick commands and force feedback commands:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 15:16:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 15:16:58