Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] Urban decay

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 16:05 Edited at: 18th Apr 2007 19:52
It's been a while since I posted anything in the Showcase.
Everything is custom the barriers and crates are from the ww2 pack,I just purchased the Ozark games pack by KeithC and it saved me a fair bit of work as just about everything in it is quite generic and could be used in any theme,thanks Keith.
I started this level a while ago but it got sidelined for more important things.
I reckon it's time I created a full game with FPSC,so this will probably be the first level in part,all the buildings can be entered,I dont have a theme yet but reckon I will come up with one as this develops.
Criticism and comments welcome.
Edit: Updated screenshots.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 16:10
Brilliant. That's all I can say excellent work!

http://teammegabasic.proboards59.com
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 16:16
Nice buildings; does that garage door go up and down? I'm glad you like the crates and barriers.

-Keith

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 16:22 Edited at: 21st Jan 2007 16:23
Yeah Keith,the door goes up and down using a switch.That's it open in screen5.Many thanks for the Pack,I'm sure I'll get plenty of use out of the other stuff too.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 16:24
nice use of lights and entitys!

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 16:30
A very realistic looking urban environment, but I would have expected no less from you.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 16:52
Pretty nice, rolfy.

By the way, how do you make a garage door open and close?

Automatic: Biological Warfare

Comin' soon, maybe in Jan./Feb. 2007!
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for comments people.
American Infantry,the door was animated with a single bone,brought into fpsc and I used simple switch to trigger it.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 17:06
I don't suppose the name "Urban Decay" came from F.E.A.R. did it?

Some great custom stuff and good use of lighting, hope the frame-rate doesn't kill...

Keep up the excellent work,
AE

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 22:05 Edited at: 21st Jan 2007 22:07
Brilliant work. I've been working on my game now for about 8 months and I haven't come anywhere near creating such a realistic outdoor urban environment, course, doesn't offer much inspiration with me living in a field in the middle of nowhere.
If your'e looking for constructive criticsism, what you need is litter. Never underestimate the placement of a few bins, bin bags, rotting newspapers and banana peels. But the buildings are looking perfect though.

<insert pun here> I really must get round to this
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 22:09
tpgp,you joined a month ago...

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 22:30
Looking great Rolfy. Always a delight to see others that arent using standard segments. You make those segments or entities?

PS-Besides keiths stuff I see pieces from that pack you gave S4 and I. Looks good inplace man.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 08:46
Nice job on this.You never cease to impress me with your work.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 10:43
@Prince of Darkness
No I first opened an account in late 2005, but the java for posting into forums didn't work so I opened a new one for 2007.

<insert pun here> I really must get round to this
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 16:59
wow but whats the frame rate like?

The world is complicated only people are simple
tj990
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 09:53 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2007 09:54
Holy CRAP...that's good,very good.
r u using rc 10? this would be good if it were multiplayer,looks very good, keep it up!
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
@TGPEG,if youlook closely you will see a couple of trash bags in there,I do have some litter ready made to scatter about.

@Locrian,the buildings are static enteties, all ground is segments,with interiors of buildings made from segments.

The frame rate when I originally put this together was pretty good,but since installing the latest update it has dropped drastically,previously encountering this kind of problem I have managed to sort it by rebuilding the level.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 07:07 Edited at: 24th Jan 2007 07:10
Yeah I have a number of buildings made, like 7 of them. I've yet got to the point of using them in an actual map, so I guess I was looking for any pointers prior to getting there. But sounds like were using a similar method as I'm taking it the inside of your garage is segments and the facade is the entity. The way I was running it the false entity sunk into the segment by like 2 units(saying that a wall unit in 3d world space equals 5).

Nice looking work though. Some of the better I've seen. Most people with this level of detail in there games are stealing textures, so theres don't count...lol
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 04:42 Edited at: 18th Apr 2007 19:53
Some new screens,first is a view looking south east.

Second is view inside the entrance to the factory.

in the sewers.

Savage otar
Years of Service
User Offline
god those are some good screenies i know it will be a good game
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Absolutely excellent! What characters will you use in this game and what's the story description?

Yeah, shame about the frame rate dropping, this really needs to be fixed and is nodoubt another reason why multiplayer is limited to so few players.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 05:06 Edited at: 5th Mar 2007 05:08
Komet,fixed the frame rate problem,this level runs at 31-33fps throughout.
Dont have a fixed storyline yet,tho' I'm playing with the idea of a time rip,means I can create a lot of different level themes,giving me more room to be creative with this,this level is set in present time.
best rolfy
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
How did you fix it?

Have you tried adding 6 characters in a room as a frame rate test?

I did and the results were all bad and also varied according to the characters used.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 05:15 Edited at: 5th Mar 2007 05:17
I completely rebuilt the level ripping out poly's that were not seen in view,such as the backs of certain buildings etc.
Haven't tested with so many enemies just yet,but dont foresee my using as many at once in this particular map,I intend to use this level as a way into the other levels,which would be loaded individually from here,at end of other levels would come back to this one to find key's etc to rooms which would lead to other levels and back again,if you get what I mean!
I will be creating custom characters for each of these levels,I hope!So can keep the polycount and scripting to a minimum,hoping this will mean I can keep the fps pretty smooth.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 05:29 Edited at: 8th Mar 2007 09:35
What?No stop sign barricades for the OG model pack?
Just kidding (although those stop signs are uber cool).
Looks like a nice WIP.
I'm going to keep my eye on this one.

Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I completely rebuilt the level ripping out poly's that were not seen in view,such as the backs of certain buildings etc."

Sounds like East Germany in the 1980's But that's a great idea and it's not as if the buildings will fall down.

Quote: "Haven't tested with so many enemies just yet,but dont foresee my using as many at once in this particular map,"

I tested with various characters, using 6 characters the FPS dropped to typically 14. I noticed that keeping a good distance from the characters with a barrier of some kind increased the FPS and also that characters from Model Pack 1 had the best performance as regards FPS and did not jitter.

Animation quality I thought, but I'm not sure.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 05:54 Edited at: 5th Mar 2007 06:22
Yeah Fred,well I want to try and use as little stock media as possible in this,not that there is anything wrong with the stock media.

Thanks for the info Komet
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 16:54 Edited at: 5th Mar 2007 16:59
Looking nice Rolfy. Love the valve and coupling on that pipe. Funny seeing School Daze in your shots.

Only thing I'm not happy with is the fact you did such a nice sewer, and S4 and I have one in the works too...lol. Our idea was after the death of the boss to have this the escape route, and also the introduction of the SJ23-Ramm(the police send the bots into the sewer instead of going personally, also where Skid(the contact) informs her of their origin as a search and rescue tool turned military).

Now we'd look like we're coping you.......You pud!!
The one thing we do have on you is the story completed..
DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 18:14
amazing looking nice work

It's better to Burn Out than to Fade away.Highlander
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 19:05 Edited at: 5th Mar 2007 19:06
Glad you like my sewer Loc',this is where you escape from this level and get pursued by little remote flying bot' things....LOL just kidding of course.How was I to know you were gonna do a sewer,I reckon great minds think alike and all that jazz
Seriously tho' I doubt mine will be as good as yours,so you got nothing to worry about.
As for school daze,I always use the best in my work.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 19:08
WOW! Who would know that it's FPSC?

I have a dumb question, if you wouldn't mind. Are your street segments lowered, or are the sidewalks elevated, and if so, how does that affect doors on the sidewalk level?

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Kind of reminds me of BF2 slightly and AA. Very cool, best screens I've seen of any FPSC game so far.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 19:18 Edited at: 5th Mar 2007 19:26
It's a good question xplosys, the sidewalk is not elevated it's just thicker,some ofthe buildings are sitting slightly back from the sidewalk on top of default concrete segments,the ones that aren't use rising animated shutters so I haven't actually had to csg/boolean these at all,I am using custom doors as well.
Even if I were to use stock doors on these I could just set them to no csg.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 20:12
Quote: "How was I to know you were gonna do a sewer"

Your Haxoring the 3dDesign website I know it....Your looking in the hidden development threads....RAPE!!!!!!Gonna have to check your IP against unauthorized accesses on the host level I guess. I'm on to you buddy...Don't think I'm not!!

ON TOPIC:
Yeah, prior to s4 and myself working together I'd made a sidewalk segment(well like 4 for straight/corner/door/street). I'd actually made a place where you could step down into the segment to open the door(kinda like New York style old buildings). Didn't like the way it looked though. And making the sidewalk section a whole 100 pixels seemed much to wide to me. Needless to say I have to redesign a whole new method of doing my outside sections. I like the look of your streets, but were going to try and come up with something for a little closer look. 4 segments from building to building is a little wide.(e.g building/curb/road/road/curb/building). We'll probably go with a much more ally feel, since according to our plot line it's 1:30am, and at that time, curfew is in effect and the streets would be full of patrols. Maybe make a place where you could actually get to the street, but that would alert the guards and bots and the player would die being over whelmed, making the player have to replay from their last save.

Totally just joking above though. Liking the look of this more then anything I've seen so far. Much more attention to detail. Looks like the makings of a great game Rolfy.

Good Luck
Loc
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 20:22 Edited at: 5th Mar 2007 20:36
Quote: "4 segments from building to building is a little wide.(e.g building/curb/road/road/curb/building). "

My road segments are 3x3 Loc',this is o.k. for the scene as it's on an industrial estate, kind of.
Meant I could apply a complete texture.
You could build your road and sidewalk as one complete object in Max this means you can have whatever proportions you want,works the same as terrain just keep them to 3x3 units or less in size and make them segments.
They could be a little narrower or wider if your building is an entity as you could place it to suit.
Also as I said above this enables much better/easier texturing
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 21:06
That's awesome rofly. Awesome sewer and ladder, pipes, everything. Goo d job!

Gone: Coming soon! Check it out in the showcase!
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 07:01 Edited at: 18th Apr 2007 19:53
As I said above I dont have a fixed storyline yet,I was toying with the idea of creating different times and lands.
Thinking of a medieval fairytale land at the moment,could possibly go with the idea of a land in peril,bit like the 'Covenant Chronicles' which had a reluctant hero.Brought to the 'Land' by powers beyond his control.
Character has a life in the 'real' world,but spends most of his time in the fantasy,a bit like using FPSC
GaMer13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 10:51
That looks cool. An outdoor level.

I like playing games, and making games
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 22:38
That's awesome rolfy. Awesome. Reminds me of the Shire somewhat.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 22:59
baah!! I can stick the FPSC HUD on a wallpaper too..so what does it prove??

(rolfy, you know I am kiddin right? And you know I am insanely jealous of your capabilities right?)

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll post a vid if it satisfy's ya!,but you would probably still think I was up to some trickery,still it's all smoke and mirrors anyway,or maybe it's Elven magic,lol.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 23:51
not the Elven magic again!!!
This is cheating in the open!! TGC, how can you give someone that spell and not the others!!

rolfy, you really think I need to see a video to believe thats FPSC??

well, on second thoughts, a video would be great to show off your 'Elven magic', if you can conjure one up

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 23:57
Well you've got little red riding hoods grandma's house, but do you have the grandma? LOL

That looks AWESOME! And that has to be FPSC because of all the numbers and stuff at the bottom.

http://www.fpsinsane.co.nr/
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 02:13 Edited at: 8th Mar 2007 02:20
Looks like the post I replied to was deleted.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 05:31 Edited at: 8th Mar 2007 06:52
With some bloom this could look like elder scrolls.I hope your indoor scenes look as good as your outdoor scenes.

*edit a small side note some textures needs to be adjusted.

Pointless Assault RC1 Demo
http://fileho.com/download/534fc0519603/pointless.rar.html
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 05:55 Edited at: 18th Apr 2007 19:54
Quote: "a small side note some textures needs to be adjusted"

Yeah, I'm working pretty frantically on this just now and I have missed acouple of things,such as texture stretching in the sewer etc.
Didn't really notice these till in a screenshot,I will go back and tidy it all up tho',thanks.
Still working on interiors will have to put a lot of work into these to keep up the continuity.

Quote: "Looks like the post I replied to was deleted."

Look's like I missed something here as well,last time this happened my thread got locked and I still dont know what that was about,so I hope it doesn't happen again.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 07:07
OMG!!!!!!!! That looks so awesome!!!!! With Bond's Fantasy Pack, you could make some great stuff there. That castle looks AWESOME!!!

http://www.fpsinsane.co.nr/
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 07:09
rolfy, please continue showing off

seriously, these screenies are just too awesome. You are putting in too much work in your game. I pray you reap the rewards as well bro.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 22:16
Are those your plants, or are they from Plant Life or TreeMagik or something?

Very nice screenshots, except the cliff texture seems low - res compared to the high level of detail of everything around it.

jantteri FIN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 22:49
WTF?!!?

That's look great! hm...are making those buildings for self? or are there pack for them?

Suomi Finland Perkele

http://enforcer.co.nr (english area is WIP)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 03:06:47
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 03:06:47