Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Eight legged freak WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 08:17 Edited at: 26th Jan 2007 08:18
A giant spider,I think this one may be popular.
Bones are animated and the model is ready to be rigged,I still have to come up with a weapon.

Heres an image in FPSC,placed the thug in the scene to give an idea of scale.

Comments and critcism welcome as usual
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 08:29
scary spider
lol
nice work
i think it will be popular...it suits zombie games and theres about 1000000 of those

If I Want It, I Want It

Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 08:29
vary nice!

That would be a good boss.

Artist/Modellor of Encrypto Studios

Logo made at http://www.grsites.com/logo
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good, Rolfy!

Would be really neat if it had a compact (but not scaled) animation/collision set so that it could chase you down a one segment wide hall or corridor.

I'd think a melee attack animation would be ideal in addition to any special, ranged attack you come up with.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 08:44 Edited at: 26th Jan 2007 09:07
@Errant AI,I think he could make it down a corridor once rigged,the animation will pull the legs inward a fair bit.But thats one scary thought
I dont know if it would be possible,using timer maybe,to lose health gradually if it bit you,anyone know?
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 09:06
Another fantastic model

How about smaller versions as "henchmen"?

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 09:08 Edited at: 26th Jan 2007 09:14
Nickydude,you want 'babies' then,why not,sounds good.
Maybe I'll create some web decals to go with it too,Could work in the same way as plasma barrier by inflicting hurt if walked into.
Heck, it would probably be a good idea to create some cave segments.
Aaw man,I'm gonna be at it till easter.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 09:38
That is one nasty looking spider.Good job.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 11:45
Rolfy, this one is great, I didn't expect to see a spider this soon!!! I also love the 'baby' idea, sounds cool.

As you know, I'm really looking forward to see this one animated and looking even more forward to using it in SpiderZ

Quote: "I still have to come up with a weapon."

Someone in the SpiderZ thread suggested a web being shot a you. I would go with a green blob or so, that looks like poison being spit at you.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 13:40
dang... thats sexy.

My signature has been erased by a Mod, and I am quite proud of it. (Mods, by saying this, you still have no logical reason to ban me.)
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 15:23
rolfy, very cool as usual. I wonder about the size and it being able to give chase through a doorway or hall, so I'm thinking the babies would be a great add-on. It's like once you enter the spiders nest, the babies come after you. Lot's of possibilities.

Quote: "I dont know if it would be possible,using timer maybe,to lose health gradually if it bit you,anyone know?"

Yeah, I think that sounds very possible.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 15:33
This is an awesome model! Did you make this because Benjamin A's SpiderZ game?

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 15:44
Quote: "I dont know if it would be possible,using timer maybe,to lose health gradually if it bit you,anyone know? "

Yes, very possible. This is your script for the pitcrawler:

This the script I created for the spiders in my game. I did created last year summer, I also did use the spider in one of my Medieval/Fantasy Pack promotion videos, released last year.

In essence the scripts are the same except for the last line..... you've used rotatetoplr I've used rateoffire:rotateplr instead and that slows down the spider attack and makes it look more natural.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 16:04
Nice work again rolfy, The corridoor idea shouldn't be a problem. I made that spidermonkey thing, that could run down a 1 segment corridor, and it was fine. FPSC seems to limit the amount of the mesh that is effected by collisions based on the position of the mesh on export.

For example, the pitcrawler was exported with the back legs over the 0rigin, so the entire front half of the pitcrawler could clip through a wall. I'd advise you get the middle of the spider bang over the origin of xyz, and that way you should have no probs with collisions. Also, if there's a possibility of getting the pitcrawler re-exported and centred over the axis, that'd fix a bunch of collision probs with it.

Weapon wise, you can just have a damage state.
as in, the only state where the player doesn't take damage is before he first gets attacked...

:state=0,plrcanbeseen=46:state=1
:state=0,shotdamage=1:state=1
:state=0,plrdistwithin=200:state=1
:state=1,plrdistgreater=60:rotatetoplr,animate=move,movefore=5
:state=1,plrdistwithin=61:state=2
:state=2,rateoffire:rotatetoplr,animate=attack,plraddhealth=-5
:state=2,plrdistgreater=80:state=3
:state=3,plrdistgreater=60:freeze,rotatetoplr,animate=move,movefore=5
:state=3,plrdistwithin=61:state=2
:state=3,random=10:plraddhealth=-5

there you go. states 0 and 1 are only used until the player is bitten. Once bitten the spider loops between states 2 and 3, in state2 the plr takes damage as he is being attacked, and in state3 the plr takes random "poison" damage until the spider tracks him again and attacks.

:state=2,plrdistgreater=80:state=3
the reason I used 80 and not 60 here is so that you can't just keep running backwards and shooting, worked well with the pitcrawler.

Rofly, have you considered this? With gravity turned off on an entity, it centers itself where the axis was on export (as I said above), therefore you could make an animation where the spider is upsidedown, 100 units up the y axis (x+100). this would mean you could have it hang from the ceiling. also, if you rotate the spider 90 degrees, you could have it walk along walls (using scripting and event scripting to ensure the corridoor was the right size).

I have long wanted to experiment with this, and if you rig it up like that, I'd be fully down to script it.

Sorry that this has turned into an uber-rant! Great work, be in touch.

Butters

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 16:11
OMG!!! A spider already?!! How can you be that good?!!!

That looks AWESOME!!!

Tiggle Bitties

Negative Image
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 17:38
Great looking spider, very evil

www.negative-image.biz
Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
Rolfy I've always appreciated your work it's soooo fancy!
Here's a little advice: Why not use the pitgun base folder??

-Scared Phlumetoid

[center]
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 19:05
rolfy! This is good work!

Mind if I ask you something though. Have you tried shooting only its legs or something?
I had done something like this once, but it would only take hits to the 'main body'. The bullets would just pass through the legs.

But awesome spider!!

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 21:23
Quote: "I had done something like this once, but it would only take hits to the 'main body'. The bullets would just pass through the legs."

so long as the Mecha is modelled at the right scale in the 3D program, it'll be fine. you only get collision issues when you make an entity large by scaling it in the FPE

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 21:28 Edited at: 26th Jan 2007 21:38
I did the spider last night,it only took an hour or so,as it's only two deformed spheres with extruded cylinders for legs,most of the work went into creating the rig and a believable animated motion,the texturing makes it look good though.This was achieved using Symbiont, a procedural texturer, and rendered to texture to get it out quickly to FPSC.I have used this method many times in the past for film work which works fine when you dont have to uvw unwrap the model for game creation,so I still have to go back and do the unwrapping as I know some of you guy's prefer to do your own texturing.

Butters, I was already pondering how to do the wall and ceiling crawling thing,and it may take a fair bit of work to get the animated transition to work right from say,floor to wall.
I have as usual learned a bit more from you guy's on the forum about collision in the game engine and if you want me to re-export the crawler with an adjusted axis ,I will certainly do so.I dont play with my own creations so I may miss some of these things,I felt this one would take a bit longer to get what we want to achieve which is why I have put it out for all to see at this stage.
I expect this to develop into a superb model with help and advice from all the combined brains we have here.
best rolfy.

Quote: "so long as the Mecha is modelled at the right scale in the 3D program"

I now make all models to scale.
Concerning the poison thing,would it be possible to script an antidote.
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 21:46
rolfy-you've done it again!

you seriously need to make a character pack of...things-not people. I want something else to shoot at besides people. Lol.

Make 20 different ones,

and sell it for $50 . I'd buy it.

-AaronG
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 22:33
Quote: "so long as the Mecha is modelled at the right scale in the 3D program, it'll be fine. you only get collision issues when you make an entity large by scaling it in the FPE"

thanks for that tip butters! Would be sure to remember that now.
I don't know if you use Milkshape, but do you know if you can scale animations there without having to re-rig or re-do the animations?

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 22:58
Yeah, I wanted to know how to make zombies and other nasties attack you from the wall or the cieling.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Rolfy! Great job, you have all kinds of cool tools don't you! I've never heard of Symbiont, and had to look fairly deep in a Google search to turn up anything. But it looks like an awesome tool. What other cool max plugins do you have?

Does CAT have a spider rig that you could use? I can't wait to see this animated!

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2007 01:14 Edited at: 27th Jan 2007 01:15
Thanks bond1,I have a huge amount of plugins for max both purchased and free, collected since I was into version2.
Symbiont is basically a free plug that enables you to use shaders created in Dark tree,I think there may even be a version for Blender.These can be tweaked to suit your model and look brilliant,you can then bake them and apply them as usual.
I am not using Cat for animation on this one it's just a simple bones setup.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2007 01:20
Bond if you haven't seen it, Rolfy has a thread in 3d chat where he's animated the cover mascot from a greatful dead album. He's certainly got some skills at this.
volkiller
Years of Service
User Offline
thats kool
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Ugh, you're killing me rolfy. You keep showing all these cool plugins, then I see the price. 500 bucks for Dark Tree!

That grateful dead animation is sweet as hell. It almost looks like it's been stop motion animated, much different then the usual boring 3d animations I've seen. Just curious, how long does it take to make something like that?

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2007 15:21
well done again rolfy this one looks like it will be a big hit. (especially with me )

good luck on this

tyrano

Woot Kingdom hearts owns!
Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
Swwwwwwweeeeeeeet!
About the pitgun, you could make a new projectile that looks like a spider's web or something. Could be fun! Also, you might want to use a different "explosion" like a white or green splat?
Also, I can assist you in medieval weapons - I have a good pair of arms - a suit and a jacket - that I can use...do you like the deal?

-Phlumetoid

[center]
Owen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 01:55
Woah ........

*few hours later*

*few days later* ........ Ace work, rolfy, your work is always super!

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's video of spider animated in FPSC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzGUvKsmd2k

uber droid
Years of Service
User Offline
That would be a great boss for lots of those 2 foot tall Grave Matter spiders.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 07:53
OMG!!! that is an amazing animation.

Tiggle Bitties

Evil Star
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 09:35
Wow, just wow. Rolfy, you never cease to amaze me

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 15:04
dude your awesome

http://www.mk83productions.com http://www.freewebs.com/mk83
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 16:14
i like the spiders leg movments.
you continue to impress us rolfy .

tyrano

Woot Kingdom hearts owns!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 17:35
I like it alot.

I'm thinking perhaps the spiders speed should be slightly slower*, as his legs aren't really moving fast enough for his speed. Small thing though, overall it looks very nice.

Do you still wanna collaborate on this one/the bot? If you don't, it's cool man, I'll just have a play, if and when you release these... check out the subtlety with which I asked for a freebie!

Believe
Butters

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah butters,would be great if we could work together on this,I will create the animations for you as requested and send it to you.
Quote: "I'm thinking perhaps the spiders speed should be slightly slower*, as his legs aren't really moving fast enough for his speed"

The animation at the moment is only for testing,this was a compromise with them appearing to slide as he moved,I will give them a to/fore movement and slow them down or speed them up to suit the movement across the floor,will be in touch.
best rolfy.
Brians 8ball
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 00:13 Edited at: 29th Jan 2007 00:13
Hey rolfy, ever think of makeing a site to store all your models? cause u got some great ones, and it will be quick and easy for people to get to em instead of tracking down ur threads, or going through the millions of items on fpsFREE

P.S. Nice Spider

---------------------------------------------------
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 21:59 Edited at: 29th Jan 2007 22:01
A smaller spider that gets down corridors and crawls on walls and ceiling,re-animated the leg movement so it has to/fore as well as up/down this meant I could slow the anim as well as the spider in game so it looks more natural.
The wall and ceiling crawling is shown in the following video,I hope to have Butter fingers script this so it does it more randomly at the moment I'm just showing the animations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8nY-r7Hxrk

I will probably do three different versions of spiders,large ,medium and small with different capabilities.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 22:13
That's the one rolfy. It's gonna work a treat!

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
On it's way Butters
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 22:15
Awesome!!! I'm definitely keeping SpiderZ on hold now, until this is ready! Btw, I'd love to test it in SpiderZ to see how it behaves there, so if you want me to, let me know

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 22:40
Simply amazing!

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 23:21
Nice work man. As always.

Loc
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 23:58 Edited at: 30th Jan 2007 00:00
Quote: "or going through the millions of items on fpsFREE"

lol... not yet.

Glad to hear about the different sizes. Excellent work again.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 03:41 Edited at: 30th Jan 2007 04:35
Butter fingers just told me he's arachnaphobic!

This may take some time
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 06:20
lol lol, just make a 100 poly butterfly for him then.
Once he is done with it's scripting, use it for your Spider

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 06:53 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2007 07:08
Some itsy-bitsy spiders.They are pretty fast and leap at you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_cGuOfo3eI

When finishing these I'll make them jump higher so they are at face level

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:11:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:11:10