Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Silent Thunder's Model Converter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 16:55
Like the title says, I made a 3ds to x and a dbo to x model converter. I can't really get a screenshot, so this will have to do.

It's on the free applications section of my website:
www.raptorgames.net
or
click my sig

Hopefully someone can make use of this.

enjoy.
-Silent Thunder

Be sure to check the forum for special offers, and free stuff!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks...will give it a try.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 19:03
Oh, thank you Silent Thunder, I'll will be using this. I'll download it when I start my modeling again though.

Tiggle Bitties

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 20:20
If anyone has any problems with the programs, let me know.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 20:28
I've been importing 3ds models to DeleD3d and then exporting them out to .x. This should same a lot of time.

Thanks.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 21:20
Thanks ST. May be you could update it sometime to be able to select the particular 3ds file (without having to move it)?

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 03:03
Quote: "May be you could update it sometime to be able to select the particular 3ds file (without having to move it)?"

I would if I could, but I don't know how, I'm a noob at DBP.

I think i could make it so you type in the directory and the name of the file, and it loads that....

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 04:45
How'd ya to the DBO to X? I know there's the 3dstox command (though not sure if proper syntax + plus not documented) that I *think* saves animation, but the only way I can think to convert a DBO would be to use a mesh, which would loose the animation. Did you do it that way or some other way?

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 05:44
for the dbo i converted it to a mesh, then saved it as .x

Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great dude! Sick program!

He said, "You drink when you're lonely." No I drink when I want!
He said, "You'll never be sober." Sure. Why would I want that?
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 06:58 Edited at: 6th Feb 2007 07:41
I wanna personally thank you. You giving away the ability to change any .dbo file into a .x file is really going to help with the Vishnu project. You rank right up there with Sinister's Magic FPS, in defeating any security that a .dbo file provides, minus the DBP owners. You've just basically given away everyone's custom media, and for that, thanks.

We appreciate the help
Loc
(I'd of commented earlier on this but I wanted our project out first and a bunch of people having the opportunity to down load this. Not everyone had DBP or MagicFPS so this free alternative, though something I'd of never put out, none the less, helped)

*Side note- re-reading that, I want you to know I was being sarcastic. I have no idea what you guys are thinking when you put out a product like this. Coders are one thing. They would know how to covert it but your general public wouldn't. But putting out a product that takes all the thinking out it for the dumbest of would-be-thieves, well, It simply amazes me.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 09:30
Thanks Silent Thunder. I appreciate what you did.

MY FPSC FILES
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 17:18
Silent thunder, thanks for this. Be downloading it and give you the praises soon

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 20:40
Locrian,every idiot can convert .dboalmost every DBP user can and uses conversion of it.

Now people have more reasons to buy your software

-Prince Of Darkness
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 20:58
I believe somewhere I've said DBP users could. But unless you buy the DBP software or Magic FPS you couldn't. This just gives the ability away to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

And to be honest I'd rather spend time making my games assets then trying to protect them. Selling of the product just recoups the out of pocket loss. I'd rather not have to worry about my media, but sadly this isn't the world we live in.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 21:03
True,i make converters all the time.and well,i even have an app that shows all animation frames of the object you imported,but that one is my little nifty secret

-Prince Of Darkness
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 01:58 Edited at: 7th Feb 2007 02:03
@Locrian - sorry.........I didn't think that this would be a problem because of the fact that I asked Fred first if this thread would be appropriate or not. I just wanted to throw something in there aside from 3ds to x considering almost everyone already has one, would it be better to just take out my dbo to x converter?

Quote: "Oh, thank you Silent Thunder, I'll will be using this. I'll download it when I start my modeling again though."

Quote: "Thanks ST. "

Quote: "Looks great dude! Sick program!"

Quote: "Thanks Silent Thunder. I appreciate what you did."
Quote: "Silent thunder, thanks for this. Be downloading it and give you the praises soon"

sigh, well, at least some people appreciated this.......

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 02:24
I must be missing something here.
Could somebody explain to me what the issue is with this converter or Magic FPS is and please try to dumb it down for me because I have no comprehension of what is going on here or why it is an issue.
I have noticed this two or three times in different places so if someone would please try to explain to me what the problem is and why of if it is going to take up a bunch of space somebody could e-mail me please.
I saw no problem with this converter but I don't know anything about it nor do I need it for anything.
My intentions were good (and peaceful).I apologize for any trouble I might have indirectly caused.
I do have one question that has been bugging me for a few days?
What would anybody use a .dbo to .x converter for that doesn't use DBP?
I am not an expert on converters so I thought I would ask.

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 02:30
ok, I have removed the dbo to x converter from the download....

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 02:31
Could I still get an explanation?

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 02:50
i'm still not completely sure, I think it may be because after an fpsc game is built, the models are converted to dbo to protect them.

but if you took that and ran it through the converter, you would loose the animation and textures anyhow.

There are probably other reasons, ill let Locrian answer this.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 02:54 Edited at: 7th Feb 2007 02:56
Fred, I shall try.

Basically, when you build a game using FPSC, it does not provide the .x files in the folders. Instead, it converts the files to .dbo (a format which is only native to Dark Basic environment I guess)

So even if people are able to open the folders, all they get is the .dbo file. Without Magic FPS or Darkbasic Pro, its not possible for them to modify the mesh.

But with this, they can convert the .dbo to a .x and easily modify them using any 3d modelling application.

This is why Loc is upset. Though Silent thunder did this only for the good of the community, but in a way, provided some of the 'thieves' with easy access to everyone's models.

Good job nonetheless on this Silent thunder. Thank you for this.

edit : yes, the animations are lost (I think, not too sure), but 90% of the models are not animated, so easy Free models. Also, animating is not even half the pain as modelling something.

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 03:24
Thanks,guys.At least I think I understand now.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 05:29 Edited at: 8th Feb 2007 05:36
@Fred,
Yeah filya pretty much hit the nail on the head. With TGC supplying the stock bips(which they shouldn't stop doing because we need them), and Bond1 supplying all of his bips(which, at least I appreciate him doing), no character model is needed to be paid for anymore. The only animated models that you'd have to re-animate in any demo are guns. What kinda smörgåsbord of free media is that? You got the .dds, you got the .X file from the recently converted .dbo. Now just make your game. Not that I condemn Silent, he was only trying to help. Sinister did the same thing.

I would hope this is clear enough to you that if you see another .dbo to 3ds/obj/x/any/all, model converter you would remove it and contact the maker via email/behind the scenes and tell him why that's not such a good thing. Your bosses will appreciate it, along with Jon, and Bond.

@Silent
I have no problem with you man. And you did a nice job. My outrage lies in the robbery of my fellow forum members...not in you personaly Silent.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 16:14
I apppreciate you guys explaining this to me.This will help out quite a bit.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:29:09
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:29:09