Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / changing the color of the cliffs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 04:32 Edited at: 7th Feb 2007 05:03
i have this game and i want to make the holes or the cliffs a different color. the sides of the cliffs. i am using db pro

thx
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 05:50 Edited at: 8th Feb 2007 18:57
only thing i can think of is make the cliffs and holes seperate matrices and texture them differently

im sorry but im not good with matrices

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 08:02
You cant do that with matrices... As far as I know.

You can convert the matrix to a mesh, then alter the vertice data in a memblock. But, that would be rather difficult.

To get you started, here are some functions (I think IanM made them) to convert a matrix into a mesh.

Cheers,

-db

"There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people."
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 08:07 Edited at: 9th Feb 2007 06:06
or if you are texturing it with an image, if a certain part is the color you want the cliff to be, you might be lucky and it will texture the cliff but usually the color will appear where u dont want it!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 23:46
set matrix tile?

I would reccomend a mesh which you edit with memblocks and you can alter the texture with memblocks as well if you want dynamic hole addition.

citybee
Years of Service
User Offline
wow DB user 2006+ that is a lot of work but and it ends up not working.

thx
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 05:02
Quote: "wow DB user 2006+ that is a lot of work but and it ends up not working."

Im sorry but I do not understand what is not working. The functions I sent you work fine. I have used them succesfully, and so have others. In specific, Zotoaster used it in his Kinetix physics library.

You are attempting to place caverns in a matrix, correct? Well, you need to build a hill, the hill should probably be high-poly to allow better quality. So, now you use the matrix_to_mesh function to convert a matrix to a mesh, then use make memblock from mesh. With the new memblock created, you can alter the points on the hill by altering the vertex positions. With the new positions set, use make mesh from memblock, then make object (You will need a texture). You should now have your cavern.

Cheers,

-db

"There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people."
Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 06:45 Edited at: 8th Feb 2007 06:58
I believe TEH_CODERER is right. You need to use the SET MATRIX TILE command if you are going to use matrices.

But before you do, You need to have some tiles.

Here, try this.

EDIT: There is great tutorial on matrixes here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=96038&b=7
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 08:19
Quote: "wow DB user 2006+ that is a lot of work but and it ends up not working.
"

Did you just run the code he gave you? Those were just functions. You need to add the rest of the code yourself.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 01:58
I wAS JUST WRITING A LONG thing about tiles, but I closed ie by accident.

citybee
Years of Service
User Offline
well, im new and i have no idea how to do anything. so thanks guys for helping me out.

thx
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 03:10 Edited at: 9th Feb 2007 03:20
Okay I'm back with some examples on how to use a standard matrix. The Mesh stuff that people have posted above has nothing to do with this at all. I, for one, find the mesh stuff to be too complex for a newcomer, so I've broken down the steps of making a simple multi-textured matrix (that was your aim, correct?)

This first one will explain to you everything step by step as it happens. So it's like the program is telling you what it's doing. This one is meant for running, not learning from the code. The next one is for you to look at the code with

===================================================================

If you want to see the actual code behind the demo, look at this:

I hope this helps

All you need to do is apply a texture to the tile that is on the side of a cliff to get what you are wanting. Try it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 17:24:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 17:24:55