Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Dark Earth: Vienna Calling

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 22:17
As already promised (or better, threatened), here my new Project, a Game based upon the "Dark Earth" Scenario.

The Story:

In late 2012, the year in which the calendar of the Mayas marked the end of the current age, a short message broadcasted on newschannels was the beginning of the end. The end of the world, as we knew it. A young woman, stabbed to death in a suburb of paris, came back to life in the pathology departement of the hospital. A worker there informed asap the well-known french newspaper "Le Monde", and the news was spread all over the world - yet tagged als unconfirmed miracle.

12 hours later the broadcasting stations were in panic, 24 hours later abandoned. All people dying or being dead less than 30 hours came back to life - but it was not a holy miracle, not a deed from god, it was the total madness. Filled with greed for the flesh of the living, the undead flooded the cities, the towns, the villages. Those who weren`t eaten alive but only bitten turned into the same rotten state as their attackers. Mankind was about o perish, transformed into a perverted form of unlive.

Many theories came up, one of them claiming that the incidents had something today with a meteor passing earth the day before. Others believed that a virus, developed for ultimate biological warfare, had caused the undying. And many spiritual men and women, believers from many different religions, thought that Luzifer himself has unleashed the hell on earth. The pope sent out an official Vatikan Bulletin, saying that the end of days had come, and that those who are faithfull will be saved by the lord.
Three days later he was eaten alive.

But among the madness, among the dead walking the earth, the true miracle happened all over the world: We did NOT perish. Mankind faced extinction, but the extinction was not completed yet.

In save regions, guarded by local men and women in arms, by special forces, army troops or simply by the armed & dangerous zivilians, mankind surved. We call those save havens "Whitelands", because Earth itself has become a very dark place for us. There are some hundreds of Whitelands all over the world, some of them totally isolated and populated by only a few, some in contact with others and counting thousands of survivors. Strict rules and military discipline is a daily routine for those who want to survive. Some Whitelands have fallen to the undead menace, some have survived struggling, and some have even managed to expand their borders. Mankind is on the very edge of extinction, but still it is fighting.

The Game:

You are staff seargant Henry Miller, a veteran of the War in Iraq and one of the few American survivers of the U.S. attack on the Iran in 2011. Serving under Lt. Col. Mark Kinnley, you are responsible for the security of an army-operated Whiteland in Montana. Your base is integrated into the remains of the military infrasturcture of the USA and communicating with many other Whitelands all over the world.

Your job is to collect survivors as well as eliminating threats that are coming close. And they are coming close, your Whiteland is under permanent attack, and the surrounding towns are often overran by the rotten ones.
Survive, don´t get bitten, and help your superiours to find out why the legendary "Whiteland Oetscher", located in the Austrian Alps 80 miles away from Vienna, manages to expand its borders almost every week, fighting off the undead menace more effective than your well-equipped men.

The Screen:

Shows a first study of an abandoned shopping mall at night (a classic location for any zombie scenario), where you will have to find the survivors who had sent an SOS signal to your Whiteland.

Support the efforts of Homegrown Games! Don`t let us starve!
Buy Anderson:
https://buy.metaboli.com/vnt/panier.html?partenaire=33&id_titre=354&langue_page=en

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 22:34 Edited at: 19th Jun 2008 22:37
Wow the screenshot looks good. I like the decal you have placed on the broken light.

The story sounds interesting and very well thought out. One problem, is it is too generic. You should throw a twist in there somewhere, something aside from the standard zombie epidemic.

But overall looks great!

More screenshots! Haha.

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 22:37
Yeah guys, I`m back, and thanks for the warm welcome

Buy Anderson:
https://buy.metaboli.com/vnt/panier.html?partenaire=33&id_titre=354&langue_page=en
tjaabee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 22:39
I belive this game will go far, we saw what happend with Anderson. Waiting for screenies!

GIMME COKE!
Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 22:49
Wow, I like the story (2012 will never cease to interest me), and the screen incredible.

one level = game's done!
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 22:50
@Aaron: There is a huge twist, but our hero will have to cross the ocean and travel to Europe to find out what´s going on there in the zombie-infested areas...

Buy Anderson:
AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 23:48
Nice to have you back.

Looks good.

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Welcome back(I'm rather new). Looks awesome, can't wait for more.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 01:46
20+1+2=23...

Anyway... Great to see you back, Ertlov. Dang you and your ability to make things look good with FPSC.

Gunn3r Games
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 03:00
It looks Amazing Bro

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 03:34
Good use of lighting.
Be sure not to keep the same degree of lighting through the whole level though. It looses it's effect if used too much.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Adriano jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 03:36
Wow! Hope this is just as good as Anderson and the Legacy of Cthulhu. I enjoyed those screenies.

Adriano jones
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 05:00
Looks great! but i have a feeling theres a reason why the framerate isnt in the picture, unless your already 100% done and thats screenshots of a built level.

my 2 cents.

it just looks too good to be playable.

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 07:48
Quote: "20+1+2=23... "

LOL!

The story sounds great, are you gonna film the cutscenes again in this game? It might take a little more in the video editing department.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 10:00 Edited at: 20th Jun 2008 10:28
Quote: "Looks great! but i have a feeling theres a reason why the framerate isnt in the picture, unless your already 100% done and thats screenshots of a built level."

The Frame Rate is 20-25 in the main hall, and 30 in the rooms / shops where you`re fighting. At the moment I try to kick out those elements which are built from many few entities and replace them by huger entities with a HighRes Texture. I use stock media where I see no reason to create own, but the custom stuff will still be dominant, like in Anderson.

Bloom Shader will be included, but I believe that the only way to get the best look out of FPSC is good texturing, good lightening and good level design.

@Inspire - The game isn`t thought to become commercial, so I can`t promise filmed cutscenes at the moment. If I read my balance sheet right, the amount spent on filming equipement, locations and crew for Anderson was around 15k to 20k Dollar. No way to spend such a sum on a pure "fun project"...

Buy Anderson:
GOTH 1 SNIPER
User Banned
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 10:32
holy hell this look's grate O.O

Myspace:http://www.myspace.com/DEATH1sniper
Hame Page:http://snipereliteforce.spruz.com/
AMSHNOK!!!
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Ertlov: Great work! I have to go to the hospital because of you, your screenshot made my jaw hit the floor.

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 17:19
Zombie Attacking 1 (slightly retextured FPSC Store Zombie), Bloom Shader activated (no, it`s NOT X10).

Note: Environment, Building, Room e.t.c. is very plain at the moment, but will be fileld and polished when the general architecture is final.

Buy Anderson:

Attachments

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 18:24
nice!

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's too tall
GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 19:21
Looks top noch!

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 21:09
Wow nice screenshot. You said you're using the bloom shader? How? Are you using EFX, because I'm not sure that's for commercial. Or is it your own shader? If so, that's great.

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 21:41
I have my own bloom shader, it`s working without any mod.

Buy Anderson:
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 21:51
Well, they locked my game, because it hasnt had any Demo.

But you also dont... I dont understand why they let your thread open, and close mine...

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 21:55
Wow you're own bloom shader? How do you apply it? As an .fx?
...could we work something out for that shader...? lol.

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 21:59
you can have it when I´ve tweaked it to work properly.

Buy Anderson:
tjaabee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 22:25
Me... ...want... ...BLOOM SHADER! LOL! Keep it up!

GIMME COKE!
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice man. Can't wait to see more from you.

Astek

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 10:36
Zombie Attack 2, Bloom still isn`t 100% correct, as you can see on the seats left - one is bloomed like hell, the one next to it still non-bloomed. But I´ll get it to work better, believe me

Buy Anderson:

Attachments

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 10:37
A little overview of the Mall, which is about 70% ready in terms of Architecture, and 30% in terms of furnishing and decoration...

Buy Anderson:

Attachments

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 10:59
Quote: "The pope sent out an official Vatikan Bulletin, saying that the end of days had come, and that those who are faithfull will be saved by the lord.
Three days later he was eaten alive.
"

ROFLMFAO! Sorry to any Catholics here, but I've always found stuff like that funny!

Quote: "There is a huge twist, but our hero will have to cross the ocean and travel to Europe to find out what´s going on there in the zombie-infested areas..."

I it going to be our old buddy, intelligent zombies?

Excellent work, as always! Love the Bloom shader, (Blloooommmm.....), and it really adds that extra lighting effect into those screens......

Shadow Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 11:03
These are looking excellent and nice work on the bloom shader. But thay hud is massive, blocks a considerable amount of the screen, I'd scale it down a bit if I were you.

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 11:49
The HUD is still a placeholder, I Believe it`s from the HUD Pack...

As Anderson had, I will make a custom HUD, and this time it will be small or transparent.

Buy Anderson:
baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 12:37
Wow, looks awesome!
Quick question, how do you get darkness? So you can only really see stuff in th light, cos in my FPSC, you can still see stuff easily, which ruins the jumpy effect a bit!
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 12:44 Edited at: 21st Jun 2008 12:45
set the ambient light down

I have set ambient to 10

Blue to 15
Green to 15
Red to 20

Still it would be visible a litte, but the bloom shader increases contrast, so in combination it`s a good look for dark places...

Buy Anderson:
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 16:01
Cool, thanks for the information.

This game is looking great, best zombie-game I've seen made with FPSC.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 19:50
*cough* Demon Sun *cough*

Bloom shader without a mod? Wha wha what?

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 22:05
Wow talk about hijacking. lol. I'll check it out.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 23:15
Not really hijacking, it's just surprising that you've never seen Demon Sun, which was pretty popular around here for a while.

[conversation ends here]

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 23:48
Hey Bro ill buy that Shader if you ever sell it.

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 00:25
[conversation keeps going for reply]
I have, but I haven't been keeping up with it.
[now conversation ends here]

Yeah I'm with Punk13 on that one.

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 17:07
Mall Hall - Architecture 80% finished, deco & furniture about 50%, no polishing (like light sources adjustement) done yet.

Buy Anderson:

Attachments

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 17:08
Another viewport, same built

Buy Anderson:

Attachments

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 17:09 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2008 17:10
And here our funny little Model pack "Blooming Texture Bug" that came with the latest Beta v1.11 of FPSC

Buy Anderson:

Attachments

_sYn_
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW Ertlov realy nice sreens
I like your Lightmapping

But just a little question: How did you make the lightdecal in the first Screen ?
This Decal looks realy amazing !

Do you have any "bugs" ?
I thought there were some problems with this decal in your Cthulhu game...

Keep up work !

-Im sorry for my bad english-
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 17:54 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2008 17:56
Hi Ertlov, is this a commercial game, If so I have skins for the female character in model pack 4, I have that model with inter changeable outfits, ie, all items of clothing are on separate layers, so one can make many many clothing combinations, enough for a whole game full of different characters, I also have zombie skins for the flesh as well, so if you are looking to fill your game with female characters, I have the skins for it already. Would just need the normal maps for them, but otherwise they are nailed.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivitastudios.com/
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 18:01
Wow. That mall is so big it's scaring me. I guess you're really set out to push FPSC to its limits Looking good...

-Astek Games Developer-
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 18:07 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2008 18:11
@syn:

Yeah, we´ve taken them out in the final version (except for one which was left inside for show purposes) but I`m not sure if you can call it a bug...

The problem is that the decal has to look always frontal to the player to look good. But if you do that, and the player is walking around the light source, the decal will clip into the light source itself what looks quite broken.

But I can tell you how to make such decals EASIEST:

1. Open Gimp (its free and powerfull)
2. Make yourself a blank (TGA transparency) file, either 512*512 or 1024*1024.
3. Make a second one with either 128*128 or 256*256 (depends on your blank file size
4. Select "Light Effects -> GFlare" inside Gimp and create a stunning flare effect that is slightly smaller than your 2nd blank file. (128 or 256)
5. Copy the Flare 16 times into your blank large file, in order from left to right and up to down )like all animated decals), each time rotating it by 22.5 degrees.
6. Save the large file and use the DDS converter (important for getting the transaparency done properly) to create the final flare decal file.
7. Use a fitting existing decal script (either horizontal or vertical, depending on the desired effect source) as main script for yours.

Ready!

Others:

Give me more zombies, more skins, little children zombies, animal zombies - gimme everything Mail is IvanErtlov@homegrowngames.at now...
- just kidding, but if you have something interesting, please cotnact me. At the moment it`s not to be thought to become a commercial game.

[EDIT] Fallen One!!! Now I remember our discussions! Just wanted to tell you, you were mostly right and I mostly wrong, just to be hones...

[/EDIT]

And yeah, this time we want to go beyond the limits. Mall is still around 30 fps in the main area and full speed in the "combat zones"

Buy Anderson:
_sYn_
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey thanks for your Tutorial !

-Im sorry for my bad english-
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Someone played Dead Rising. Lol. Looks very nice.

Astek

tjaabee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 21:12
Looking good, but one thing about the IKEA-sign, you can't use it because it's a trademark. Keep it up!

GIMME COKE!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 02:47:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 02:47:47