Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Teach Yourself App Game Kit [video version in development]

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2013 23:02 Edited at: 26th Feb 2013 23:03
The first video wasn't that great so I've reworked the graphics and mechanisms. This version is hosted on youtube so I can show you in HD.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2013 03:36 Edited at: 28th Feb 2013 03:36
Lost dragon suggested a Tile RPG for the next book. I spent a few hours putting together the basic systems for a tile editor and rendering system from such a game. While far from complete, it reflects the basic tile system that could be used in such an example.

Lost Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh sweet. I didn't expect you to get to that so fast.

If you decide to do it, that's an e-book I'd definitely buy.

I'm working on a tile RPG right now. I've got tile movement down. I've got line of sight working. I've got collision working. Right now I am trying to figure out a good way to handle all the data involved.

As an example, a terrain tile might be "rough terrain" and a "hurt tile" and a "light blocker" - and it might generate a special sound when it's stepped on. Those four elements alone generate a lot of data to manage (and I'm using more than for). That is what I'm working with now.

Next I will have to tackle how to handle menus, choosing dialogue, dragging and dropping weapons, etc. Anytime there is a guide or book I can read through I check it out.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 14:50
I'm using multi-dimensional arrays to pull this off, and marking it all directly in the editor. If you treat every 3rd dimension as a layer, then you can basically just pile on lots of information. I'm not using collision detection at all, but instead handling it all "at a data level" which is faster. After all there isn't much action in a Tile RPG.

I've just started working on the battle system which you can see in the following video.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 15:02
I am pleased to announce that Teach Yourself Game Programming for Android and Windows has been approved for sale on The Game Creators website.

This is a DRM free copy provided in ePub and PDF format.

Click here to buy the book directly from The Game Creators
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 15:16
Awesome... Was that DBPro?

StevenP
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it too late to donate for access to the videos?
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 17:48 Edited at: 6th Mar 2013 17:49
Yes StevenP it is too late now sorry! You'll need to wait for the release. I offered pre-ordering but no one was interested.
StevenP
Years of Service
User Offline
That's too bad. Life got too busy for a while for me but I'll keep my eyes open for when they're available.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2013 16:30 Edited at: 13th Mar 2013 16:34
Video files 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 are now online, please check your google accounts or use the following links.

The videos have just been uploaded so they may still be converting, give it 15 minutes and they should appear online.

Please note that preview videos will be sub-HD quality, these are not the final videos and subject to change, removal or replacement at any time.

Only pledges who have donated more than £5 previous (or $8) will have access to these videos. If you didn't get access this time around please e-mail me at daniel@dcforeman.co.uk with Video Access as the subject title so I can't miss it.

I will try to get a video a day online from this point onward but video editing can be a slow process.

1.0 Introduction
1.1 Minimum requirements
1.2 How to use this video

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 16:40:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 16:40:17