Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Fantasy Pack Weapons!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 08:25 Edited at: 19th Mar 2007 08:08
I've got an FPSC screenshot and video, so now I can post in the good 'ol Models and Media forum again, yay!

Here is a short video showing off the hands that will be in the pack, the weapon shown is an oil bomb:

Right click, save as, 3mb: http://www.hyrumark.com/images/fantasywip/oilbombs.avi

FPSC screenie:

UPDATE: Here is a new screenshot and video showing the animated crossbow, and also the dwarf. This should give you a good idea how the characters will look in the current FPSC:

Download video here, 3MB:
http://www.hyrumark.com/images/fantasywip/cbowdwarf.avi

Finally a new update! Bow and arrow pretty much done, I'm fairly happy with it, except for a few animation tweaks.

Download video here:
http://www.hyrumark.com/images/fantasywip/bowarrow.zip

Divx format here:
http://www.hyrumark.com/images/fantasywip/bowarrowdiv.avi

More later!

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 09:00
Absoloutely AWESOME!
The hand looks so realistic!
I cant wait to see the Xbow in fpsc!
Great work Bond!

Dan

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 09:04
OMG!!!!!!!!!! That is SOOOOO amazing. You should seriously think about doing some modeling for a profession. You could EASILY go pro with that. A lot of Xbox games don't even have that kind of great modeling. That is by far graphically the best weapon I've ever seen in FPSC.

tj990
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 09:11
Nice work bond!
Hand Looks amazing for fantasy!

Keep it up!

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys! This is my first crack at weapons so that means a lot. I built my own custom skeleton rig for these hands with inverse kinematics built in, I think it was worth it.

I decided to start with something simple with the oil bombs, I've already done some early tests with the bow and arrow, and it's gonna kick some serious tail.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
As usual some really nice work there bond1,now you have made the rig,you will be able to get on with the fun parts LOL
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 12:08
Looking good Bond.Looking good (as allways)

Drapes#10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 12:49
this pack is gonna be crazy, thats amazing! You could make an oblivion style game.

Don't do it behind the garden gate love is blind the neighbors aint
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 12:54
Not realy Drapes,you cant make cell's like oblivion in FPSC.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 12:55
Quit teasing us and sell the pack to us...
Just kidding...I think.
Another fantastic job by you.Once again you have found your way back into my wallet.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 13:29
Mark, you could compete with Dark Messiah (Thumbs up!)

The only thing I dont like about the oil bomb, is the slow and stiff select animation. The throw animation is good, but I think it may look better if the bomb stayed in his hand till the last minute, just before its released.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 15:48
Really looking great Bond. Everything about your work is getting so professional. The shape of your hands, the texturing. All worlds different then say the scientist model.

Did you hand paint it all? Looks like it could be, but then could be photo montague. Really nice shading on the leathers if painted. Animation is good. I think it could be a little better. The wind up showing the hand coming back, and the throw appear the same speed. I'd think the throw section of the animation would move faster then the wind up. Hand positioning seems reasonable. I think I'd allow the wrist to bend back a little farther on the wind up though, and follow through bending the wrist down more on the throw(imagine throwing a base ball).

Really great work though. I love the string on the bow. Thick enough to allow detail, yet thin enough to not seem oversized. In Diablo 2 terms though you've built the equivalent of a spider bow(item found all over). What we want to see is the version of the Windforce(super unique)hehe. The textures on both the the bow and crossbow are very proportionate. The wood grain is neither to big, nor to small. In Goldy Locks terminology it's "just right".

Good luck on this.
Loc
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 15:51
The new weapons all look fantastic!

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 16:23 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2007 16:29
Thanks for all the comments!

@Locrian, Rolfy, Higgins:

Good suggestions, I need to play around with the key tangents bit to give some speed variation as you noticed. Yeah the throwing animation should be more of a "launch" rather than a smooth movement.

It was tougher than I thought animating weapons! Something so up-close I'm constantly second-guessing myself (does the hand look better rotated 2 degrees this way or that way?). Another thing that bugs me is the .X format. Does it strike anyone else as weird that the de-facto directx model format totally relies on a few freeware, use-at-your-own-risk exporters? Thank god for the Panda exporter, even though it took me forever to get the skin weights to export correctly. I finally realized that editable polys don't export skin modifier weights quite right in Panda, converting to mesh sorted it out.

@Locrian:

Normal mapping has totally redefined the texturing process for me. Now modelling and texturing is all woven together. All the folds, seams, and shading is baked down from a high-poly sculpted model. I did use a tiling leather texture for the gloves, and smaller details were hand-painted or provided by the normal map.

I'm also going to have an "enchanted elven bow" that allows you to zoom into your enemies, complete with a "magical" looking zoom HUD!

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 16:33 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2007 16:34
Quote: " I finally realized that editable polys don't export skin modifier weights quite right in Panda, converting to mesh sorted it out. "

I always convert to mesh as soon as I can,as you say the panda exporter does have some peculiarities when it comes to exporting editable poly's even un-animated models seem to inherit odd collision defects etc.
Still now you have the rig any tweaking that's necessary wont be such a chore and once you have your animations down with over/underhand swings and throws you could apply it to a lot of different throwing objects.
How about tomato's and vegetables for throwing at a character in stocks
Would also like to see a village idiot J.K.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 16:39 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2007 16:39
Quote: "How about tomato's and vegetables for throwing at a character in stocks"

Grreat idea rolfy, I wish I had thought of it!

Yeah at least now the rig and skinning is done, so the hard part is out of the way. Although it was awkward for me to animate a right-handed throw (I'm left-handed).

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 17:19
Quote: "Would also like to see a village idiot "

There's plenty of them on the Forum

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 17:22
Quote: "Although it was awkward for me to animate a right-handed throw (I'm left-handed)."

Animate a left hand, then mirror
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 17:28 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2007 17:29
Great looking hand! If I ever get X-10 i'm getting both yours and jons pack. Good one Bond.

Quote: "it was awkward for me to animate a right-handed throw"

Well you could of just done a left hand, whats so bad about that?

Good luck dude,
Tyrano

Woot Kingdom hearts owns!
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 18:30
nice work there Bond
yes, the animation seems a little too delicate, but the models and textures are fantastic!!

Well, atleast I share something (even if it's a small thing!) in common with you...left handed too

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2007 03:22
Crud, your crossbow looks better than mine. I guess I won't include one in my medieval weapons pack...
great work though bond! cant wait for your pack to come out!

Artist/Modellor of Encrypto Studios

Logo made at http://www.grsites.com/logo
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2007 04:03
that is so flippin' sweet!!!

Click on the picture to order your copy today!
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2007 07:19
Awesome job Bond!

Gone: Coming soon! Check it out in the showcase!
Seerzack
Years of Service
User Offline
wow thats looks awesome.

/seerzack
Gibbzy
Years of Service
User Offline
ther amazing.. people will definately buy them

hi, im a boy.. wot r u, boy girl or both
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 00:02
Quote: "Although it was awkward for me to animate a right-handed throw (I'm left-handed)."

That's why it threw like a girl! lol

Cheers!
RF

Lightning Bolt Studios
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 03:31
Amazing Work Bond!
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 14:58
Those weapons look sick (In a good way!)
You and John Fletcher
are doing a great job.
I cant wait till these are released.

Therapy has taught me that nothing is my fault.
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 15:35
Its the best i have seen, not even modelpack 6 got that great textures (I am not saying that modelpack 6 textures sucks but look at theese!!!!!).
Looking forward to see more of this.

Best wishes, BVG, Joakim

Visit us at www.freewebs.com/bigvikinggames , you can find our new games and much more
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 18:11 Edited at: 4th Mar 2007 18:14
Thanks for all the nice comments, it's very encouraging.

I've got some time today to work on the crossbow, I'm adding the required bones to the rig right now. It SHOULD be pretty easy, especially the reload animation. I can pull the old "Goldeneye" reload trick of having the weapon go off the screen and come back up reloaded...not a copout, it's just the nature of how a medieval crossbow would be loaded: from the ground with a foot in the front stirrup for leverage.

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 18:20
tyrano man wrote:
Quote: "Great looking hand! If I ever get X-10 i'm getting both yours and jons pack. Good one Bond."

If Im not mistaken bond said his pack will work in the current version of FPSC.

http://www.mk83productions.com http://www.freewebs.com/mk83
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 18:28
When you reckon we'll be seeing previews of the X-bow bond?
Great work, as always.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 18:32 Edited at: 4th Mar 2007 18:32
Yep, again this pack will work in any version of FPSC. The video shown is from the current FPSC!

Maybe later today I'll have a preview of the crossbow, barring any problems, you know how that goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 19:02 Edited at: 4th Mar 2007 19:05
Quote: "just the nature of how a medieval crossbow would be loaded: from the ground with a foot in the front stirrup for leverage"

Yes, especially while walking

[EDIT]
IMO it should be better if you see hands reloading crossbow.

"Now handle your emerald sword!"
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 19:13 Edited at: 4th Mar 2007 19:16
Accoun, thanks for the suggestion. I was JUST going to ask which would people prefer...

Yes, I've decided to show the hands reloading the crossbow, not technically realistic, but as you said it would also be unrealistic to have it reloading while walking or running. Plus, it will look a lot cooler having the hands reload it.

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 19:26
If you make that the hands is reloading like a bow, it means the character is realy strong, and thats a cool thing, Medieval Terminator!!!!
(If you dont understand my english its just because Iám from sweden)

Visit us at www.freewebs.com/bigvikinggames , you can find our new free games and much more
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
UPDATE: Here is a new screenshot and video showing the animated crossbow, and also the dwarf. This should give you a good idea how the characters will look in the current FPSC:

Download video here, 3MB:
http://www.hyrumark.com/images/fantasywip/cbowdwarf.avi

Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 08:51 Edited at: 5th Mar 2007 08:59
Looking sweet.

There are quite a few problems with the crossbows functionality. The string that launches the bolt is really far back enough to produce the required energy to launch the bolt (Proper word for arrow, for those who dont know.) Also, the bolts would have been placed in connection with the string and the bevel going into the bow itself.
Take a look at where the string snaps to;

The dwarf, again, looks fantastic, except I would desaturate the colours on the clothes a bit a wee bit
Hope I helped (If you can be bothered altering )

Dan

Edit; I forgot to mention.. The bolt looks to spin around the reloaders hand, or something - cant tell exactly what it does - kinda fast

the fps gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 10:12
man this looks awesome when does you release it (and are it is for free)

visit [url/]http://paralyzegames.googlepages.com/[url]
Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 13:11
wow omg!!!!!

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 13:58
ok, so instead of sucking up, I'm gonna do a crit. Not because I think I'm better, just because I'm so self involved I think that my opinion counts for something!

Basically I wanted to say that, although you have done a great job on the hands, I hate the fact the fingers are open. The Default biped (and all the custom ones for that matter), do not curl the fingers on the weapon animation sets. Therefore, if you model the guy with open fingers, when he is assigned a weapon, in game the weapon is just magically stuck to his palm.

PLEASE!!! model the guys with a fist, or at least semi closed fingers, so that when they are assigned a weapon it looks like they are holding it! This was my one crit of MP4, the fact that none of the characters really looked like they were holding weapons.

Any way, that's my 2 penneth. You might wanna check out Errants forum for some hints on the crossbow. I seem to remember reading a discussion about how to set it up so that the arrow wouldn't reappear before the reload....something about making the
weaponisammo=1

what ever, I'm sure you'll do the research. Other than that I really like it. The dwarf reminds me of Die By The Sword...some old fantasy game.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 16:12
That dwarf got OWNED! lol. Well I can tell you I'm buying this. Will this be considered Model Pack 7. Or is it just got to be a randomly sold pack?

http://www.fpsinsane.co.nr/
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 16:16
It all looks good!
Are you going to sell this in a pack or give it away for free?
I will surely pay for such good models.
Will there be some swords and axes upcomming?

Visit us at www.freewebs.com/bigvikinggames , you can find our new free games and much more
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 16:26 Edited at: 5th Mar 2007 16:36
damn thats awesome!

i'll have the chance to watch the videos later, but the screens look really nice.

17" 1920x1200, 2GHz T2700 Core2Duo, 2GB DDR2, 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900GS PCI-E, 100GB HDD, DVDRW
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "PLEASE!!! model the guys with a fist, or at least semi closed fingers, so that when they are assigned a weapon it looks like they are holding it! "

Hehe, don't worry, I should've mentioned that this was just a quick test rig to show him off in-game. I'll give them all semi-fists before the real thing. It was just easier modelling them this way initially for UV mapping and texturing. Thanks, I'll check out Errant's forum too, still a few things I don't fully understand about the weapon spec.

@Smitho, thanks for the comments. The bolt was an oversight, should be in contact with the string, I made a few changes to the dimensions, then got obsessed with the hands.

I understand what you're saying about the string not being far enough back. I had to adjust the dimensions purely for aesthetics. With the "correct" dimensions it just didn't look quite right in-game. Probably because of the large FOV of FPSC camera, it has a subtle fisheye effect that wasn't flattering for the crossbow.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 17:06 Edited at: 5th Mar 2007 17:15
Thanks Jon, let me know what you think about the animations also.

@Jenkins: This will probably be Model Pack 7, although I don't know for sure, TGC could have others in the works right now.

DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 17:43
nice work bond1 looking good.

It's better to Burn Out than to Fade away.Highlander
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 19:51
Yer the crossbow looks great! You are so talented.

Also I mean i'm only buying this if I get X-10. I have given up with this FPSC (I know work with a different engine), and only use it for MP with my friends now.

Woot Kingdom hearts owns!
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 23:07
just got a chance to watch the videos (the network i was on earlier bans the AVI file format ) and the animations are very nice, i have some small crit, in the crossbow animation, during reload, the movement is a bit stiff, when the hand is taken off the front of the weapon, it would dip down, the right hand having to support more weight. Also, the pull back of the...cord (?) seems to look a little weird

but thats quite picky, it still looks damn brilliant the shot is very sudden and powerful

17" 1920x1200, 2GHz T2700 Core2Duo, 2GB DDR2, 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900GS PCI-E, 100GB HDD, DVDRW
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 23:58
Quote: "@Jenkins: This will probably be Model Pack 7, although I don't know for sure, TGC could have others in the works right now"

awesome! I'm soooo buying this. Bond you're going to be FILTHY RICH after this release.

http://www.fpsinsane.co.nr/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 20:24:56
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 20:24:56