Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / do you know good/complete tutorials?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Greetings and well met well i think the tittle said it all by itself i been searching i swear >< hehe but all i find are unfinished or too complicated tutorials keep on mind that i just got dbp a week ago and if you put me someting like this for example...

wich might be a simple thing for you i am not going to understand that much i don't have someone that teach coding over here either the book i have from "programming with darkbasic" really help because it is old and most codes are outdated i been searching for other darkbasic pro books but then again no exit... so i realized that the only way for me to learn was with tutorials but as i mentioned before some are outdated, others are unfinished :/ and so on... so your guys know any tutorial that isn't that old, is finished and easy to understand like for example the one created by "Xenocythe" that one really helped me understand some things

P.S. it would be better for me and probably for any other person reading it, that the tutorial have a explanation of how the command itself work without going so long and then at the end of the explanation the whole code to shown it in action if you do know tutorials like this would be nice if you post them here meanwhile i will keep searching for more thanks for taking your time and read this -Mhitandyr

no one was born with knowledge and even thoses that seek it must learn from someone ask if needed if you are the one answering be kind remember when someone was teaching you
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 18:17 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2007 18:18
The stickied thread at the top of the board should atleast get you somewhere
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=115633&b=7

There's a ton to read. And links to other places that has a great collection of tutorials.

Mhitandyr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 18:23 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2007 18:25
heh, that was the first i check, and there it was where i saw thoses tutorials that some of them teached me things like the one of xeno but others didn't really helped me much, i mean besides thoses any more sugerences?

thanks anyway the nerd

no one was born with knowledge and even thoses that seek it must learn from someone ask if needed if you are the one answering be kind remember when someone was teaching you
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 22:56 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2007 23:06
hmm... sorry to say, but I think that collection just about covers every good tutorial on these forums(of course I could've missed some)

Did you try to check out something like this?
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=25076&b=7

Even though it's an old post the code won't be out-dated like that. The DBPro language haven't been having critical core updates, so you'll be able to use what you learn from them. There may be some changes in commands and stuff like that, but if you find any problems feel free to ask.

Mhitandyr
Years of Service
User Offline
ahhh... i see... man oh man this isn't good... i learn more by doing than by reading but it can't be helped... most of the information covered on that last tutorial you gaved me was already on the book i have but i will chek it anyway

thanks anyway >< just out of curiosity, do you know any good webpage that also offer support for darkbasic? i tried a few others that i seen on mods post but most of them are unable also tried google but all i find is quite useless

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 23:13 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2007 23:14
Well if you learn more by doing the practical stuff maybe you should try to set yourself some goals of programs/functionalities you want to make using areas in programming unknown to you. Maybe through simple games or so.

Also I'm quite sure the official website(together with all the websites from people from this community) is the best resources you'll find out there Also, you could try combining reading and practical at the same time. So you read a short piece of text introducing new things, and then you can try to mess around with it yourself in DBPro.

Just a few tips and suggestions. Also, just try to browse the forums and tutorial thread, I'm sure you'll be able to find some gems floating around

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 23:21
I don't know if this will help you or not, but it's a set of tutorials that I wrote that teach you Dark Basic Pro from the ground up. Except for the first chapter, there is hands on coding where you can build the game up yourself:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116567&b=7

Mhitandyr
Years of Service
User Offline
@ the nerd i been browsing thoses forums i put this tread to see if anyone here would have information of good tutorials on other websites or on some place i haven't saw yet i combine both of them already is just that some tutorials have so many text that they are annoying to read thats why i put the example of the xenocythe tutorial because in fact was a mix of both and at the same time allowed me to do some changes on my own codes to get the results i wanted i don't like to ask much to this comunity... they answer my doubts is just that... i just don't like to ask thats why i like tutorials best and even when i know some concepts of some codes i learn to use them good when examples good examples are gaved (hail xeno with his tutorial i learned to make buttons and also games menus wich is a nice thing i created my own move the box game ;P)

@uncle sam i already saw your tutorials and i checked them

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 00:42
Quote: " is just that some tutorials have so many text that they are annoying to read "

That's kind of disrespectful to say about people who take time of their own to teach you some things and you complain that they explain too much.

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
Mhitandyr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 00:47 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2007 00:49
oh? no i didn't meant to offend anyone sorry i might be too honest sometimes i appreciate the fact that they wish to help, i am just saying that for my own fault i am not someone who enjoys read tons of information without put them at practice but its nothing against the peoples that wish to help :S i am not complaining by the way i just pointed that out

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 13:38
The reason they explain so much is that they are aimed at beginners who have no previous programming experience. Therefore they explain precisely what each command does, as many people will not learn without this, instead they will just copy code without fully understanding it (that's what I did when I was starting out).

http://jamesmason01.googlepages.com/index.htm
Mhitandyr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 18:50 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2007 19:01
yes i am well aware of it, however i think that there are better ways to teach on my own opinion if you explain what the commands do and then put individual examples that shown the funtion of each and then make a whole code that shows how they work when combined i think it would teach a lot instead and would be better that if you explain all of them using just texts and let the peoples to try them, still this is just my personal opinion and i was looking for tutorials like that when i created this tread nor do i complain about the current tutorials nor do i want to start a discussion here with others i said it and i will say it again, i appreciate that they take their time to create tutorials i just was looking for someting diferent

P.S. i understand they are aimed at begginers like myself ;P but just like some peoples don't learn without lots of texts i think that others would learn better if they have a mix of both and that is what i am saying i don't see anything wrong with it, see others comments and perhaps u can do someting better next time i never said that explanations wasn't needed i just said, that they can be shorter and have the same efectivity

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 19:30
(Please use full stops and commas)

the rabi, Nancy DrewG and Sudoku Arts.

Mhitandyr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 19:44 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2007 19:59
uh? i don't get it sorry if there is any mistakes on my english i suppose i have them but i think is pretty good overall

I'm really sorry if my sentences doesn't make sense, i'm spanish so i don't speak english very often but i understand it very well

still... what does that have to do with the topic anyway... geez

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 20:10
Quote: "i'm spanish so i don't speak english"

That's OK then, sorry.

the rabi, Nancy DrewG and Sudoku Arts.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 21:14
Sorry for sounding too angry, but really, all it takes is some appreciation and some patience. Your only limit is that you dont feel like reading and learning, which is something that tutorial writers shouldn't have to take into account.

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
Mhitandyr
Years of Service
User Offline
ya i understood ur point zotoaster and i know why, is because you compiled a lot of tutos i read them trust me and i learn from some is just that some of them i don't understand you see, there was my problem :/ as i said before, not only with lots of texts you learn but also using them at practice you see

@ inh hehehe oke

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 23:29
Just make sure you dont read the too advanced ones to start with.

Mhitandyr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 23:35 Edited at: 24th Oct 2007 00:18
ya i know, i know but since i learned most of the basics with the book i have i though just though that i might give a shoot when i saw the one of xeno of make a rpg it was kinda advanced yet i understand it and now i can make buttoms games menu and a box that move game i am searching for information like that even if its advanced if writed right even newies like me can learn it well thats what i think.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 05:15:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 05:15:38