Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A few quick questions.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,

I'm just starting out and would just like someone to point me in the right direction. First of all the game that I would like to create is a simulator for a sport. What I want to be able to do is enter stats for different players which my simulator will then calculate coming out with a winner. My first question is what program should I be using to create this game? My second question is does anyone have any good tutorials which I could learn of quite easily? And finally how long would it take to create a game like this for a newbie?

Thanks in advance.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 00:15 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2007 00:18
Welcome to the forumz

1.) I don't really know what you mean by this, because I assume you already have DBP if you are posting here.
2.) Read stickies! Nobody ever does, and they have so much good information. There's one at the top of this forum that has a bunch of good tutorials in it. This game idea sounds pretty original, so there won't be a tutorial for the exact thing, but once you learn variables, arrays, and the basic stuff like that you should be able to do this.
3.) I'd say 1 hour at the most, it sounds like a good, simple project for a newcomer (not counting however long it takes you to learn the basics). Then, after you have the basis of the game, you could add graphics and other cool stuff for as long as you want

Edit: Here is a good tutorial to start with:
Tutorial: The Basics of DBPro Tutorial by Hamish McHaggis
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=25076&b=7

"Ok, so that wasn't funny. I don' have any good Christmas jokes."
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 03:54 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2007 13:32
Welcome to the forums, here a few tips,

(1). Don't act like Serjo Adjo. (i.e. Here)
(2). Please start out with pong, I had to learn this the hard way.
(3). Don't attempt an MMORPG or any other MMO.
(4). Don't start out the way I did (i.e. This Thread)
(5). Enjoy the forums and stick to one project at a time, I learned that the hard way as well.
(6). Use proper grammar please! Don't talk like this, (hallo! i wnt 2 make n ubr mmorpg. can some1 gizme teh codez?
(7). Don't ever make a religious or love life thread in Geek Culture. (I learned that the hard way).
(8). Always read the tutorials and stickies, sometimes they can have a load of information about 2D and 3D games as well.
(9). Need some help? Use the search button before asking questions.
(10). Want to play around or use code for your game, search in the Code Snippets or the Codebase.
These tips by KYP:
11.) Don't jump in to threads saying something completely random.
12.) Don't be like this guy: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=102028&b=2

These tips should get you to a normal TGC member. If you break one these tips you should be okay (as long is the tip isn't the one about me or Serjo or the emerson dude).

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 04:18
Good stuff there, but you didn't link Serge Adjo
A bad example if there ever was one.

Quote: "(2). Please start out with pong, I had to learn this the hard way. "

I think this project is pretty good to start with, but if you ever want to make something 3D, pong is a good way to get oriented with the 3D commands.

"Ok, so that wasn't funny. I don' have any good Christmas jokes."
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 18:59
Serjo Adjo was my hero guys - how could you trash him like that in this online forum book - book? I hate Book - Book is stupid!

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 02:13 Edited at: 21st Dec 2007 02:23
Quote: "Serjo Adjo was my hero guys"

That's fine so long as you don't look up to your heroes and try to be like them

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 19:18
By the way what was his name? I've seen Serdj, Serdjo, Serj, Serjo, Serge... I can't remember how it actually went now. He's just become the TGC forum equivalent of an urban legend

"A West Texas girl, just like me"
-Bush
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 20:32
Serge Ajo, but his site was Serjo.

Sudoku arts, the rabi and Nancy DrewG
MR FAN
Years of Service
User Offline
you should get the biginers guid to programing and practice typeing in their examples and then start messing them up.. find out what causes errors and how to fix them.
Phantom 2590
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 06:49
Quote: "you should get the biginers guid to programing and practice typeing in their examples and then start messing them up.. find out what causes errors and how to fix them. "

haha if they changed the code to get an error wouldnt they know how to fix it by just going bak to the original form from the examples

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 08:26:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 08:26:07