Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / My mapping pic need advice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 04:06 Edited at: 13th Mar 2008 06:52
Hello, I'm quite new to Fpsc but I'm not new to game design.
What I need is just a few people just to help tell me how good my mapping is and if its not top notch I would like some advice. Thats all. I just want to see what other people think about my work
I will have a little level design map thing on this board so people can test it out. There is a pic attached please tell me if its any good and if there is anything to improve it with...Thanks!
Please be as mean as possible as I want to be really good at game designing. I have been designing for nearly 6 years now and I am [a teen]. Though don't judge me because of my age, believe me I can accomplish great things
Thanks!

-SGT RAMPAGE

DevilMouse Developments

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bobert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 04:20
it is an ok pic. it is really bland (not enough objects), too much bloom and the entities are too mixed. u probably shouldnt have ww2 with scifi.

therapy has taught me not to talk to men with needles
Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 04:22
Alright, i'll be as harsh as possible, everything in this picture is completely horrible, never use FPSC again, you're a disgrace. Haha okay i am joking, obviously. The room overall looks actually pretty good for a new FPSC user. With a good use of lights and nice entity placement (as in the room doesn't appear crouded but isn't bare) you've done an excellent job in those departments. I must say the bed doesn't exactly fit the scene, the look of a more modern and/or even futuristic one might flow nicer with everything else.

In a nut shell, i must say you have a pretty much fantastic start here, but definately upload more pictures, i would like to see where you go from here. Remember, if you ever need any advice beyond what you you can get from this or any other thread, simply searching around the forum for advice is the best. I know people like 'Nickydude' have made and/or compiled some superb tutorials and support threads showcasing very detailed, very helpful tips on level design, and overall FPS game making.

The best of luck to you, cheers - Braden
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 05:33
Thanks heaps Braden! Yes I've got NickyDudes Guide, it has helped me a lot with making huds appear on screen and stuff like that. I'll fix that bed problem now And I'll upload some other pics of the level.

Thanks again. And if NickyDude every reads this lol I would like to say thanks heaps for that guide!

Thanks!

DevilMouse Developments
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Try to upload an editor pic..

Dude232
Years of Service
User Offline
i think it looks nice, but too much bloom, and the bed does not go in the picture

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 14:10
Sgt Rampage, everyone has to start somewhere. Don't get disheartened when you're told "it's boring", "needs better lightmapping", etc... Take a look at the Showcase games, get ideas, try to plan before jumping in.

My advice would be not to put in objects / entities just to fill the area up, think about why the things are there; why was the fire built there? Why did they put a bed there? Is it sleeping quarters? Is it just for sleeping? Does the room belong to a particular person? Should there be a table? Should there be some sort of cupboard to hold belongings?

The more believable the environment, the more believable the game.

Good luck.

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 14:36
Don't post your age, you will get moderated.

The pic looks ok, but it looks like you're relying on bloom to make it look better. Bloom is waaay over used in games. The idea of bloom is to recreate the natural glow around lights in real life, not to flood an area with that glow. For best results, tone it down.

Paul
bobert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 16:05
i dont think he read my comment. i gave him the truth, not praise him for an "ok" screenie.

therapy has taught me not to talk to men with needles
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2008 02:16
Lol I did read your post Bobert, thanks everyone for helping me. I'm more of the scripting type, its one of my first shots at the 3d drag and drop stuff. and..
YAY, NickyDude did read my post. OH and I'm not disheartened, thats why I made this post, to get advice.

Thanks again.

P.S. Bloom is toned nearly all the way down. Maybe its my computer?

DevilMouse Developments
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2008 03:05
I agree with everyone else; your rooms have to have a purpose.

And take your age off, I'd hate to see another one getting banned/noob slapped.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2008 10:23
Quote: "Thanks again. And if NickyDude every reads this lol I would like to say thanks heaps for that guide!"

Your quite welcome, glad it was some use to you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 03:19:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 03:19:35